The Student Room Group

Advantages and benefits of getting a First Class University Degree

Hi,

So I recently got my results and was awarded a First Class Degree.

I have not applied for any graduate schemes or jobs as I really want to go on holiday. A recruiter told me not to worry and to enjoy myself for a while - as companies are always willing to recruit a First Class student.

I am fairly new to the graduate game and so I want to know some of the advantages or benefits of having a First Class Degree

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

"Always willing to recruit"

Biggest porky pie you will ever hear. Unless it specifically states in the job requirements (most are happy with 2:1 or higher), you having a First Class degree means nothing. It's all down to how you conduct yourself in the interview, how well you impress them (the interviewers). I, a first class grad myself, have had 9 interviews and none of them progressed, you can definitely see I have nothing past my degree and scattered experience.
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1

Biggest porky pie you will ever hear. Unless it specifically states in the job requirements (most are happy with 2:1 or higher), you having a First Class degree means nothing. It's all down to how you conduct yourself in the interview, how well you impress them (the interviewers). I, a first class grad myself, have had 9 interviews and none of them progressed, you can definitely see I have nothing past my degree and scattered experience.

I see, but what happens if you already have a years' experience and you have other extra certifications?
Reply 3
Original post by samklipas0

I have not applied for any graduate schemes or jobs as I really want to go on holiday. A recruiter told me not to worry and to enjoy myself for a while - as companies are always willing to recruit a First Class student.

I am fairly new to the graduate game and so I want to know some of the advantages or benefits of having a First Class Degree

Thanks

Congratulations, but it's not a golden ticket. It's just one aspect of a job application.

And it becomes less valuable each time you write "First Class Degree".
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Congratulations, but it's not a golden ticket. It's just one aspect of a job application.

I see. So it is not amazing or no big deal to have a First Class Degree?
What they said. handy if you want to continue in education.
Its an advantage for when they have an academic requirment as its harder to weed you out, but there are other factors such as interviews, skills and experience.
Certain employers might pay a bit more or give you a bonus for getting a first class, but not that many.

Ps recruiters dont always tell the truth.

Go on holiday.

See what happens when you get back and have made plenty of applications. That will give you an idea of where you are on the ladder.
Reply 7
In what, exactly? If it's Golf Course Management; well, good luck with that. If it's Maths, but from the University of Edgware; again, no-one cares.
Reply 8

It's good to have of course and ceteris paribus you'll have the edge over an applicant with a 2.1

However, get out of the mentality that you won't have to work hard to get a graduate job. It's not a golden ticket and it doesn't entitle you to anything.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
What they said. handy if you want to continue in education.
Its an advantage for when they have an academic requirment as its harder to weed you out, but there are other factors such as interviews, skills and experience.
Certain employers might pay a bit more or give you a bonus for getting a first class, but not that many.

Ps recruiters dont always tell the truth.

Go on holiday.

Well said my friend, with regards to going on holiday.

I may go back into academia in a few years time so it might be handy then :smile:
Original post by jneill

I can't rep you, your "First Class Degree" comment made me laugh out loud! :smile:))
Hi,

Thanks

Advantages and benefits of having a first class degree? I kind of get what you're asking, but it kind of.. doesn't make sense, Maybe someone will know what I mean by that.

But anyway, as other people have pointed out, that 'always..' bit is not true. Having other experience/qualifications helps, as you've said, but again, guarantees you nothing. You have to be able to perform in psychometric tests, interviews, assessment centres, all of that, but it sounds like you have the necessary experience and qualifications (or goods, if you like) to 'sell yourself', you just need to work on the selling part.
Really depends what you want to do in the future, I guess. Deeply clichéd but you usually need good work experience in order to get a graduate job, for which a 2.i would suffice. If you want to do a funded PhD in the humanities, these days you almost certainly need a first. But, all my friends with 2.1s and even a couple with 2.2s have gone on to get well-paid graduate jobs, mostly cos of their work experience and really good performance at interview.

As for the disadvantages, from personal experience, you can end up super focused on academics and ignore everything else. I definitely did that and to be perfectly honest would utterly useless at Project management, marketing and HR managing which my friends who graduated with humanities degrees now do. I am dead proud of them for what they do, we just have different skillsets I guess.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by SheldorOfAzeroth
I can't rep you, your "First Class Degree" comment made me laugh out loud! :smile:))

:hat2:
Original post by shawn_o1

The biggest lie is how much TSR people claim that a first doesn't matter. It's not the most important thing and the difference between a 2:2 and a 2:1 is greater than the advantage a first offers on a 2:1 but come on, when you get pissed out of your mind at the bar and lose your first, you're not networking for your future or whatever lie it is you're telling yourself.
Absolutely none. A degree is nothing but a tick in a box. What's more important is extra curricular things such as getting involved with society committees and summer internships. After a few years of working, your degree becomes irrelevant*
Reply 16
Reading this makes me cry considering I worked super hard for my first lel
Hi,

Thanks

It is helpful, especially if you want to go back in the future and do postgraduate study. It's not so helpful for job applications - work experience and how you interview will be more useful. However, it's still good to have in the sense that it will add to your application/won't hurt it. (If you see what i mean). :smile:

Go on holiday/travel. You don't need to jump in to a job straight away, whatever degree result you have.
Reply 18
Original post by super_kawaii
Absolutely none. A degree is nothing but a tick in a box. What's more important is extra curricular things such as getting involved with society committees and summer internships. After a few years of working, your degree becomes irrelevant*

So all that hard work for nothing? Great! Might as well settled for a 2.1 degree whilst having sex with 10 girls
So all that hard work for nothing? Great! Might as well settled for a 2.1 degree whilst having sex with 10 girls

With the graduate job I have, I wasn't even asked what my classification was! They just cared I had a bachelors degree from somewhere. What matters is the extra curricular things, which is why it's so important to get summer internships, get positions on society committees, have career relevant part time jobs and study abroad if possible

Latest

Trending

Trending