The Student Room Group

Applying for Economics

Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering if I am less likely to receive an offer if I take Business Studies and Economics together with Math. I am predicted AAA, but some people have said "you are less likely to receive an offer ". Just want to ask from people's experience/knowledge. Also, will taking an EPQ or a fourth A Level e.g. Politics be a good idea; or is it not worth it?

I'm aiming for 7th to 20th place uni's, Surrey particularly.
Reply 1
Original post by azizadil1998
Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering if I am less likely to receive an offer if I take Business Studies and Economics together with Math. I am predicted AAA, but some people have said "you are less likely to receive an offer ". Just want to ask from people's experience/knowledge. Also, will taking an EPQ or a fourth A Level e.g. Politics be a good idea; or is it not worth it?

I have read immensely around this because I have similar aims 😂

The issue is you're doing business and economics, these overlap a lot and multiple top unis e.g. LSE, Warwick, Bath etc.
Also, your aiming for a Russell group uni and they recommend you have at least two facilitating subjects, you only have one...

So yeah, you are less likely to get a place because of it.

If I was you, I'd drop business as it not regarded very highly in comparison to economics and maths and swap it for a facilitating subjects.

Good luck!
Hey everyone,

I say drop business since it does overlap with economics. Since your doing maths why not take up further maths? It will be alot more useful to you than politics. Economics degree at top uni are very quantitative so it will help tbf.
i'd take maths, econ, politics
and i'd do the epq so you have something to write about in your ps, which makes it easier to do
Thing is I can't drop any of my existing subjects since I retook some of my subjects this year so on results day this year I will have my grades for AS & A2 Economics, A2 Business Studies, AS Math... going to go for EPQ definitely
I
Original post by J.Page

The issue is you're doing business and economics, these overlap a lot and multiple top unis e.g. LSE, Warwick, Bath etc.
Also, your aiming for a Russell group uni and they recommend you have at least two facilitating subjects, you only have one...

If I was you, I'd drop business as it not regarded very highly in comparison to economics and maths and swap it for a facilitating subjects.

Good luck!

I'm doing psychology, sociology, rs and geography and was told I could deform get into. "Top 10 uni with the grades as philosophy/ethics and geography are both 'strong' and all are relavent to humanities which is what I want to do. I think the 'facilitating subject' hype is less string now and only really true for STEM subjects!
Original post by J.Page

Good luck!

Oh ok then, so it's basically the top 3-5 universities which really care about that right? I emailed a few yesterday; Nottingham and Exeter both said they will not penalise a candidate for applying with those two subjects so its not essential but it might make it more favorable to apply with an EPQ for example so i guess i'll go with that... depends on my grades anyways really hoping for A*AA but I think ill get AAA lol
Reply 7
Oh ok then, so it's basically the top 3-5 universities which really care about that right? I emailed a few yesterday; Nottingham and Exeter both said they will not penalise a candidate for applying with those two subjects so its not essential but it might make it more favorable to apply with an EPQ for example so i guess i'll go with that... depends on my grades anyways really hoping for A*AA but I think ill get AAA lol

True, however Russell group do make it very clear about taking two facilitating subjects is quite important, did you ask them about that?

Good luck to you though! What you looking at studying?
Reply 8
Original post by eviebrizzle
I

I'm doing psychology, sociology, rs and geography and was told I could deform get into. "Top 10 uni with the grades as philosophy/ethics and geography are both 'strong' and all are relavent to humanities which is what I want to do. I think the 'facilitating subject' hype is less string now and only really true for STEM subjects!

All depends on where you want to study and what courses but in the context of this discussion, economics is often a BS not BA and even if so, they still tend to be very mathmatical based.
However, with the arts they are a lot more flexible but facilitating subject, no matter what the course, will enrich your application and keep doors open
Original post by J.Page
True, however Russell group do make it very clear about taking two facilitating subjects is quite important, did you ask them about that?

Good luck to you though! What you looking at studying?

I asked the following unis: Nottingham, Exeter, East Anglia, Lancaster, and Sussex and am waiting for Surrey, Kent and Birmingham to reply; Lancaster said "with that in mind taking both Business and Economics would not be detrimental to your application in any way. "

Nottingham said "Thank you for your email. We do accept Economics and Business as two separate subjects. It is, however, a bit of a narrow range and it might help your application to other institutions if you offer a fourth, or an EPQ, but as far as we are concerned it is not essential."

Exeter said "I can confirm that we accept all A Level subjects except General Studies towards entry, we do not distinguish some as better than others, therefore we would not penalise you for taking these subjects together. I can also confirm that we assessing applications, we look at three full A Level grades in assessment and do not consider the EPQ as part of that."

With all of what I have been told so far, from my teachers as well I'm probably going to stick with my current subjects and take an EPQ and do it in something Economics/Business related.. Brexit? How the EU is doing? Those two are very debatable so shouldn't be that hard and I love essay writing.. :biggrin:
Reply 10
I asked the following unis: Nottingham, Exeter, East Anglia, Lancaster, and Sussex and am waiting for Surrey, Kent and Birmingham to reply; Lancaster said "with that in mind taking both Business and Economics would not be detrimental to your application in any way. "

Nottingham said "Thank you for your email. We do accept Economics and Business as two separate subjects. It is, however, a bit of a narrow range and it might help your application to other institutions if you offer a fourth, or an EPQ, but as far as we are concerned it is not essential."

Exeter said "I can confirm that we accept all A Level subjects except General Studies towards entry, we do not distinguish some as better than others, therefore we would not penalise you for taking these subjects together. I can also confirm that we assessing applications, we look at three full A Level grades in assessment and do not consider the EPQ as part of that."

With all of what I have been told so far, from my teachers as well I'm probably going to stick with my current subjects and take an EPQ and do it in something Economics/Business related.. Brexit? How the EU is doing? Those two are very debatable so shouldn't be that hard and I love essay writing.. :biggrin:

Best of luck to you!

Quick Reply

Latest