The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
So I've got a medify.co.uk sub and the completemedguide.com guide, is the 1000Q book worth it on top of that, looks like it's just got questions and from the little I've used of medify, it seems to have tons of questions anyway?
I would say the 1000Q book is worth it because it does focus a lot on techniques and the explanations are a lot more thorough.
heyy
I've registered for 5th August and I just got a medify membership for one month and I did the 600q book :smile: I'm planning to do medify and the 4 online tests this month and I think that should be enough? Or should I purchase the 1000Q book? Really want to get a good score!!
Did you just start practising? I think 600 would be fine.
imo i think medify + 600q + ukcat online practice tests should be enough since you have 1 month left if you buy the 1000q book aswell you might not get through the medify and ukcat questions/tests which i think are more helpful because you do them on the computer and gets you ready for the real thing. i have mine on the 10th and im gonna start medify next week
good luck let me know how it goes :smile:
Original post by medicapplicant
imo i think medify + 600q + ukcat online practice tests should be enough since you have 1 month left if you buy the 1000q book aswell you might not get through the medify and ukcat questions/tests which i think are more helpful because you do them on the computer and gets you ready for the real thing. i have mine on the 10th and im gonna start medify next week
good luck let me know how it goes :smile:

Worth noting that the 1000Q book is the updated version of the 600Q book. So iit's not a case or doing both. If you do one, do the 1000Q as it contains the 600Q book of the previous version + 400 Q of the new style
Reply 206
Original post by riyaaaaa
heyy I've registered for 5th August and I just got a medify membership for one month and I did the 600q book :smile: I'm planning to do medify and the 4 online tests this month and I think that should be enough? Or should I purchase the 1000Q book? Really want to get a good score!!

Original post by 4rsenal
So I've got a medify.co.uk sub and the completemedguide.com guide, is the 1000Q book worth it on top of that, looks like it's just got questions and from the little I've used of medify, it seems to have tons of questions anyway?

I found the 1000q book pretty good actually! I started off with the complete guide which made a huge difference (as well as medify) but the 1000q is a nice addition.

Probbably unnecessary to have all of those resources if your test is soon but if its still early on then you might as well. Riyaaa the 1000q is the updated version of the 600q btw.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by emmaK98
I found the 1000q book pretty good actually! I started off with the complete guide which made a huge difference (as well as medify) but the 1000q is a nice addition.

Probbably unnecessary to have all of those resources if your test is soon but if its still early on then you might as well. Riyaaa the 1000q is the updated version of the 600q btw.

I have the 600Q book, is it worth getting the 1000Q one aswell? im so worried i dont have enough time :frown: I will by medify soon and what guide did u use? the ukcat one?? I just dont seem to be improving at all :frown: how did ur exam go?
Reply 208
Original post by usycool1
It's not the end of the world if it didn't go as well as you wanted - there are Med Schools that don't place too much emphasis on it so you could apply to those. Or do the BMAT (but the former is the safer option).

It´s kind of the end of the world since I'm an international student I can't apply to schools were the tuition fee is sky-high.

Original post by nisha devi
Why goodbye?

Because I didn't do well basically. Didn't have time to finish first part so missed lots of marks at VR and AR wasn't too good either.

Original post by Anishkulkarni98
How much did you get?

VR 400
QR 650
AR 510
Band 3

I failed the VR part because of my timing was way off.

Original post by greys-anatomy
How have you guys done if you've done the exam already? :smile:
Original post by 2njee
It´s kind of the end of the world since I'm an international student I can't apply to schools were the tuition fee is sky-high.

Still not the end of the world - you can reapply next year!
Reply 210
Still not the end of the world - you can reapply next year!

True, but atm it´s just really disappointing. Still applying tho.
Original post by 2njee
True, but atm it´s just really disappointing. Still applying tho.

Sorry dude. :frown: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Sorry dude. :frown: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I'm sorry the test didnt go as well as u thought. any tips u wish u knew before u went in? also whats the difficulty of the maths section like? does it reflect the official ukcat website content?
Reply 213
Original post by clairebear101
I'm sorry the test didnt go as well as u thought. any tips u wish u knew before u went in? also whats the difficulty of the maths section like? does it reflect the official ukcat website content?

Id wish I knew the time showed in top right corner (silly, but I was so focused on the questions that I didn't notice), because I forgot to bring my watch. And do practice answering under time pressure. I didn't do that, but I should've done that obviously because that is what ruined the whole thing for me. Knowing that I failed the first part just stressed me as I was doing the rest of the test. The maths was straight forward like percentage calculations as presented in the isc 1000q book.

Good luck to u :smile:
Original post by MrStealYourOffer
You've got more than enough time, I'd almost too much. I had my test 31st August last year and start preping at the end of July. I only used medify and did all the questions in their question bank. I saved the practice tests (medify + official ones) for the last 2 weeks or so and it helped a lot because it put me in a kind of rhythm before the test (I got 715 average). If you start too early you'll run out of questions/practice testq way too early. I guess it depends on how much work you want to put in each day, I prepared for 1 month but worked every day for at least 2 hours.

I agree. Too early prep will exhaust you and you will lose the momentum. Try to do as many questions as you can. Get some books and if you can, take a course.
I would by Uniadmissions book as bn it bn offers max no of questions. Do official site questions foo
Hello,

Need to know which course are most people going to attend for UKCAT and why?
There are several available e.g. :
Kaplan, ISC, Medify, Uniadmissions, Medicportal

I am confused. How does one chooses a course ? Cost/reputation?
I have some suggestion from my brother that did one course and I will share. I need to help as I need to decide pretty quickly. Thank you
Original post by clairebear101

Just done mine and scored
750QR
710VR
690AR (was never really good at it so I guess that's okay)
SJT Band 2

Not perfect but quite good I suppose.
Maths were okay. Some very easy (like you just add up two numbers) and some questions that were actually pretty hard because there were lots tables and information to read.

For VR I panicked a bit for the very wordy questions because I felt it took me quite a bit to read the whole bloody thing. So I ended up just reading the text quickly and then trying to find which paragraph applied to which question. Some questions use info from several paragraphs but not that many.

AR; Forget it. Some really easy, like you see it in 2 seconds. And some I am still wondering what kind of human being designed those shapes!

SJT okay.
Has anyone bought the new 1000Q UKCAT book? Is it worth getting? I have the old 600Q one but it's hardly relevant anymore and I don't want to spend £15 if it's not very useful.
Original post by Joanna_p
Hello,

Need to know which course are most people going to attend for UKCAT and why?
There are several available e.g. :
Kaplan, ISC, Medify, Uniadmissions, Medicportal

I am confused. How does one chooses a course ? Cost/reputation?
I have some suggestion from my brother that did one course and I will share. I need to help as I need to decide pretty quickly. Thank you

Medify is just an online question bank.

Courses are unnecessary. Medify and the 1000q book and you're sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophmlg
Has anyone bought the new 1000Q UKCAT book? Is it worth getting? I have the old 600Q one but it's hardly relevant anymore and I don't want to spend £15 if it's not very useful.

That's what I used for my prep + Medify + official questions. The 1000Q was actually quite useful. Basically they have taken out all the out of date stuff and replaced it with all the new style questions. Medify was also good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending