The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

I agree Buttler should have the gloves - Bairstow is way too sloppy behind the stumps
Original post by Mackay
Buttler in line for a Test place, according to Bayliss. Big call if they are to deploy him - but, with Stokes/Anderson sweating on fitness, the selectors may be able to shoe-horn both he and Buttler into the same XI.

Cook has spoken about Amir, and said he should expect some boos and a tough reception at Lord's. Hard to disagree. He's served his time, and I'm on Atherton's side. It was a sting cooked up by the News of the World - as expected. They fashioned a crime out of something which would have potentially never have happened, and coerced Amir at a tender age.

But before all that, we've got the solitary T20 vs SL to look forward to. I really hope Mills starts.*

Predictions for the England vs Pakistan series?

I believe that Pakistan will win at least one test match, but England will be far too strong overall.

Everyone is looking forward to Amir, and I just hope that he deals with the expectation and pressure well enough.
Reply 1242
Original post by moment of truth
Predictions for the England vs Pakistan series?

I believe that Pakistan will win at least one test match, but England will be far too strong overall.

Everyone is looking forward to Amir, and I just hope that he deals with the expectation and pressure well enough.

It'll be far closer than the England vs SL series whatever happens. The Test series will be very tight, but I expect England to really shine during the white-ball games to be honest.

Just saw Amir's first ball was... a no ball. This time, though, he was facing the bowler and batting. He was dismissed second ball. You couldn't make it up.*
Original post by Mackay
It'll be far closer than the England vs SL series whatever happens. The Test series will be very tight, but I expect England to really shine during the white-ball games to be honest.

Just saw Amir's first ball was... a no ball. This time, though, he was facing the bowler and batting. He was dismissed second ball. You couldn't make it up.*

Completely agree. As a neutral, it will be an interesting series to watch. Pakistan's batting is their main worry, but their bowling should shine through well. Fully expect England to win the limited overs series fairly easily.

Pakistan's bowling against England's top order will be the massive test.
Reply 1244
Completely agree. As a neutral, it will be an interesting series to watch. Pakistan's batting is their main worry, but their bowling should shine through well. Fully expect England to win the limited overs series fairly easily.

Pakistan's bowling against England's top order will be the massive test.

I'm intrigued by this series, I really am.

Not least because there's rankings up for grabs, and if England manage to come through victorious, they'll hold all the Test trophies simultaneously. I don't think a nation has done that since Australia managed it a fair few years ago.*
I also agree that England will win the series but it won't be a walk over. I'm going to Lords for the first time to watch the first test! So excited!
Original post by Mackay

Not least because there's rankings up for grabs, and if England manage to come through victorious, they'll hold all the Test trophies simultaneously. I don't think a nation has done that since Australia managed it a fair few years ago.*

Which trophies does that list consist of?
Reply 1248
Original post by Chilledtobits
Which trophies does that list consist of?

Trophies against every other Test playing nation.
Original post by Mackay
Trophies against every other Test playing nation.

Right - yes I see what you mean. England are pretty much smashing it, basically. Should be number 1 reasonably soon if the momentum continues. Winning away in India and Australia biggest challenges.
Reply 1250
Amir's economy of 3.50 today wasn't brilliant, to be honest, but he still caused havoc and takes three wickets. A fantastic start to his summer, and hardly the baptism of fire many were expecting. Fair play to him. *
Original post by Mackay

I do think that England will struggle when playing away from home, at the moment. No doubt they are a talented bunch of players, but there are still a few questions around the team.

The test series against India in India will be exciting. I just hope that the pitches don't ruin the contest.
Reply 1252
I do think that England will struggle when playing away from home, at the moment. No doubt they are a talented bunch of players, but there are still a few questions around the team.

The test series against India in India will be exciting. I just hope that the pitches don't ruin the contest.

Definitely. We saw that in SA, which wasn't too long ago.

The way this England team play, though, with a swashbuckling fearlessness, you kind of expect to endure some torrid performances occasionally.

The batting strength and depth is phenomenal, but Plunkett hitting a six off the last ball to rescue a draw can only happen occasionally.*

We can only hope :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chilledtobits
I also agree that England will win the series but it won't be a walk over. I'm going to Lords for the first time to watch the first test! So excited!

I am there as well on the Saturday.
Reply 1255
Original post by barnetlad
I am there as well on the Saturday.

Enjoy!

Hopefully the Lord's pitch has improved. It's offered very little in terms of results so far in all the domestic matches it has hosted.

It looks far too green, to be honest.*
Original post by Enginerd.
Amir has already claimed 2 wickets on the second day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 wickets, and every wicket was better than the last- beautiful to watch!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1257
Amir is so Akram-esque. There's plenty of easy comparisons to make in cricket, and many of them are lazy, but Amir seems a genuine and natural descendent of Akram's aggression.
Man Amir's swing today was awesome - I actually want him to wreck the England top order - he is soo good to watch :smile:*
Reply 1259
The problem with Pakistan is their lack of a genuine world-class all-rounder. They'll likely go to Lord's with a four-man attack, and if it's a docile pitch (which Lord's has typically been this year, starting off very well for batsmen with a green tinge and getting better and more benign as the game progresses), that may not be enough.

Quick Reply

Latest