The Student Room Group

Tips for Economics A-level?

Obviously there is the whole keeping up with current affairs; any other advice for someone like me starting economics in September? Thanks!
Whilst keeping up with current affairs is something you should be doing if you are genuinely interested in economics, it won't really help you at AS level, AS level is more about the principles of economics and understanding the basic theory surrounding it. Try and build up a general understanding of simple models, such as the supply and demand curve, market failure, aggregate demand/supply, if you understand these basic models, AS economics is a breeze. I know people that know a lot about 'current affairs' well, everything about current affairs really, but failed AS economics, whilst i never watch the news and am expecting an A, its ended up being my easiest subject and i'm hoping to take it into university, its such an interesting subject once you understand the basics and can start looking into economics further. Most people find it extremely hard, but i think that's because they don't understand the basics, it's honestly all about the basic models, everything stems from that.
Reply 2
Original post by Luiswright31
Whilst keeping up with current affairs is something you should be doing if you are genuinely interested in economics, it won't really help you at AS level, AS level is more about the principles of economics and understanding the basic theory surrounding it. Try and build up a general understanding of simple models, such as the supply and demand curve, market failure, aggregate demand/supply, if you understand these basic models, AS economics is a breeze. I know people that know a lot about 'current affairs' well, everything about current affairs really, but failed AS economics, whilst i never watch the news and am expecting an A, its ended up being my easiest subject and i'm hoping to take it into university, its such an interesting subject once you understand the basics and can start looking into economics further. Most people find it extremely hard, but i think that's because they don't understand the basics, it's honestly all about the basic models, everything stems from that.

What other a levels do you do may I ask?
Original post by Rajive
What other a levels do you do may I ask?

Maths, Business and PE.
I made a poor choice in selecting PE, dropping it in year 13! Awful subject :frown: Hard and not rewarding whatsoever!
If i could go back I'd choose; Maths, Economics, Philosophy and Politics/Business.
Reply 4
Maths, Business and PE.
I made a poor choice in selecting PE, dropping it in year 13! Awful subject :frown: Hard and not rewarding whatsoever!
If i could go back I'd choose; Maths, Economics, Philosophy and Politics/Business.

Doesn't that mean you are going to have to do A2 and AS in a year ?
its aids don't do it
Original post by Rajive
Doesn't that mean you are going to have to do A2 and AS in a year ?

I'm only taking Economics, Maths and Business into year 2, at A2 level, the other ones i mentioned are just subjects i would've chose if i could start again, as i regret taking PE.
Original post by Alextaylor6
its aids don't do it

This is the general consensus i get off everyone in my year group, i don't understand why people don't enjoy it, was my favourite subject by far, what exactly was it about Economics you didn't like?
This is the general consensus i get off everyone in my year group, i don't understand why people don't enjoy it, was my favourite subject by far, what exactly was it about Economics you didn't like?

Boring af, huge essays, aids questions, shite teachers
Reply 9
I'm doing History, Politics and Economics. Thanks for all the help so far!
Boring af, huge essays, aids questions, shite teachers

Just out of interest, what other subjects did you take, and what board did you do economics with (i did OCR).
Just out of interest, what other subjects did you take, and what board did you do economics with (i did OCR).

AQA and I also took geography + psychology
AQA and I also took geography + psychology

Was Geography not much more essay heavy? We only got 10 + 20 markers in OCR econ.
Was Geography not much more essay heavy? We only got 10 + 20 markers in OCR econ.

nah not really, A2 economics we had 5, 10, 25, 15, 25 mark questions
Original post by sahil19
I'm doing History, Politics and Economics. Thanks for all the help so far!

Those are the exact three I took to A2, and they go really nicely together. Though I guess that depends on your History options - for example I did post-war UK, and Thatcherism makes more sense if you've studies Econ.

And just to say also - someone was saying you don't NEED to follow current affairs. Maybe that's true, but in Econ they are big on 'evaluation', and a good way to evaluate is to give the next book theory, and say say 'but look what happens in real life - the theory doesn't hold up'.
Reply 15
Original post by MouseyBrown
Those are the exact three I took to A2, and they go really nicely together. Though I guess that depends on your History options - for example I did post-war UK, and Thatcherism makes more sense if you've studies Econ.

And just to say also - someone was saying you don't NEED to follow current affairs. Maybe that's true, but in Econ they are big on 'evaluation', and a good way to evaluate is to give the next book theory, and say say 'but look what happens in real life - the theory doesn't hold up'.

Ah right; what were your boards for econ and history? Ours is AQA Economics and OCR History.
Original post by sahil19
Ah right; what were your boards for econ and history? Ours is AQA Economics and OCR History.

Ah yeah I did wonder - I did all Edexcel, so don't know if all the evaluation stuff is the same. But I think what I said still stands. Good mix of subjects, and good to use current affairs when you apply it.
Reply 17
You neeeeed to understand the basics, the learning curve can be pretty steep. If you don't understand something, then ask questions/keep going over it until you do understand it. Once you have a basic understanding of the principles, it's hard not to do well in it with a bit of revision. The biggest tip I have that has worked for me is to learn the mark schemes, especially for essays that come up frequently. These will be your pointers in the exam for areas to discuss.

Quick Reply

Latest