The Student Room Group

A-level Insight days 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by datboii
hey im planning to apply to this next year. Im wondering, what is the requirements? Do you need prior work experience and where will you need it from? What kind of profile makes a successful applicant?

Work exp+extracurriculars is key. ECs do stuff that interest you. Work exp, network and find schemes online.

Successful app is a combo of: offer from a decent uni, decent predicted and achieved grades, good ECs, some work exp., show interest in finance however you can.

There is no tick box method or list you must perfectly meet and there is no magic formula. Just do stuff outside of school and try to do well in school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Work exp+extracurriculars is key. ECs do stuff that interest you. Work exp, network and find schemes online.

Successful app is a combo of: offer from a decent uni, decent predicted and achieved grades, good ECs, some work exp., show interest in finance however you can.

There is no tick box method or list you must perfectly meet and there is no magic formula. Just do stuff outside of school and try to do well in school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for replying

Ok so you say work experience. What exactly? Can you give me some examples. I have for example done work experience at an accounting firm and hopefulyl be doing one in an asset management firm. Will that suffice?
Do you mind telling me what you did? If not then thats ok:smile:

What do you mean find schemes?
Original post by datboii
thanks for replying

Ok so you say work experience. What exactly? Can you give me some examples. I have for example done work experience at an accounting firm and hopefulyl be doing one in an asset management firm. Will that suffice?
Do you mind telling me what you did? If not then thats ok:smile:

What do you mean find schemes?

If you do a search for studdent ladder, or a level work experience. You will find something. Other than that, whatever you can get from calling up random finance/accounting/tech firms or using a family contact.

Yes, that's a good start.

I would mind unfortunately, I feel it wouldn't help you as you'd just try to copy that route. You're better off forging your own path.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you do a search for studdent ladder, or a level work experience. You will find something. Other than that, whatever you can get from calling up random finance/accounting/tech firms or using a family contact.

Yes, that's a good start.

I would mind unfortunately, I feel it wouldn't help you as you'd just try to copy that route. You're better off forging your own path.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok ill check them out. Are you sure calling them up is a viable option, i dont feel its appropriate that a 16 year old should be calling them up and disturbing them lol.

no worries, i guess if i have to copy someone then im not really suitable for the job

Also, do these programs help in other areas of finance e.g. Corporate finance, risk or investment management?
Original post by datboii
Ok ill check them out. Are you sure calling them up is a viable option, i dont feel its appropriate that a 16 year old should be calling them up and disturbing them lol.

no worries, i guess if i have to copy someone then im not really suitable for the job

Also, do these programs help in other areas of finance e.g. Corporate finance, risk or investment management?

Oh it is absolutely appropriate, you've got to learn how to start networking and getting yourself known out there. I'm sure with persistence some places would be glad to help out. By engaging with professionals this early, you'll be at a substantial head start. Believe me, it's why I know a lot now because I bugged so many people when I was 15-16 ahahahaha.

Exactly, initiative is key that's why I'm being vague. It's more worthwhile in the end if you find the opportunities by yourself :smile:

The insight day programs will have people from all over each bank you can speak to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh it is absolutely appropriate, you've got to learn how to start networking and getting yourself known out there. I'm sure with persistence some places would be glad to help out. By engaging with professionals this early, you'll be at a substantial head start. Believe me, it's why I know a lot now because I bugged so many people when I was 15-16 ahahahaha.

Exactly, initiative is key that's why I'm being vague. It's more worthwhile in the end if you find the opportunities by yourself :smile:

The insight day programs will have people from all over each bank you can speak to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow you started young lmaoo. Im guessing you wanna go into IBD right? Im mainly emailing smaller firms because unfortunately i dont have any contacts in the areas im interested in. Do big firms (e.g. Capital asset management, blackrock etc) actually give informal work experience or are they all caught up with health and safety and that bs?

Yh youre right i guess youre doing me favour

oh right lol i thought they just focused on IBD
Original post by datboii
wow you started young lmaoo. Im guessing you wanna go into IBD right? Im mainly emailing smaller firms because unfortunately i dont have any contacts in the areas im interested in. Do big firms (e.g. Capital asset management, blackrock etc) actually give informal work experience or are they all caught up with health and safety and that bs?

Yh youre right i guess youre doing me favour

oh right lol i thought they just focused on IBD

Indeed, IBD or consulting for me is the aim. Yeah, started getting interested in all this stuff waay back when. I remember speaking about finance etc in the year 11 threads on TSR back in like 2012-2013 lol. Small firms is a good idea, they're generally more receptive I've found but it doesn't hurt to ask the larger firms too.

No worries, some people think I'm being unhelpful by doing that but I think it's only the best way to help someone when starting out - glad you didn't take it the wrong way. :smile:

Nah, all divisions across front office, middle office and back office.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Indeed, IBD or consulting for me is the aim. Yeah, started getting interested in all this stuff waay back when. I remember speaking about finance etc in the year 11 threads on TSR back in like 2012-2013 lol. Small firms is a good idea, they're generally more receptive I've found but it doesn't hurt to ask the larger firms too.

No worries, some people think I'm being unhelpful by doing that but I think it's only the best way to help someone when starting out - glad you didn't take it the wrong way. :smile:

Nah, all divisions across front office, middle office and back office.

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha lmao i bet they didnt know what you were talking about! yeah, im just contacting whatever firms i can. Do you think its better if I go and approach the company? I live in london and its not too difficult for me to go up and meet them.

Lol i think they just want the easy way... to a career which has something like 40 to 1 application rate!

Yh im interested in middle office. Risk, research that kind of stuff
(edited 7 years ago)
Just a quick question would be appreciative of replies.

Would it be worth it Joining Networks such as; SEO , Rare Recruitment or go to your universities career advice such as; LSE or UCL for CV / Cover letter advice?
Received places on CS and JPM but yet to hear from MS. From my experience there is no benefit, in fact I would go as far as to say it's a disadvantage, to apply early for these programmes. I applied on the 29th of December for MS, the day it opened, so although it is likely to be an imminent rejection I feel fairly confident that the recruiters start with the most recent applications and work backwards to the earliest ones.
Original post by Aran2121
Just a quick question would be appreciative of replies.

Would it be worth it Joining Networks such as; SEO , Rare Recruitment or go to your universities career advice such as; LSE or UCL for CV / Cover letter advice?

Former.
Did anyone who got an offer for the JPM insight day get a confirmation email when they signed and emailed off the form?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azzer11
Did anyone who got an offer for the JPM insight day get a confirmation email when they signed and emailed off the form?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No did you??
Original post by atomicweasel
No did you??

I got an email like 2 days after the offer email was sent reminding me to send the form, even though I already had. So I sent it again and asked them in the email to confirm when they receive it but I haven't received anything thus far :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azzer11
I got an email like 2 days after the offer email was sent reminding me to send the form, even though I already had. So I sent it again and asked them in the email to confirm when they receive it but I haven't received anything thus far :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here I asked for them to reply but they havent so I guess they'll tell use tomorrow or something
Original post by atomicweasel
Same here I asked for them to reply but they havent so I guess they'll tell use tomorrow or something

Oh did you get the reminder email too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azzer11
Oh did you get the reminder email too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope i got my offer on friday

Nice!
Reply 299
Just got JPM! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest