The Student Room Group

Music at University - 2017 Start

I really want to study music at university. I've finished my AS levels and so I'm starting to look at open days and work on my UCAS application, personal statement etc.

However, I'm behind in terms of grades for my main instrument (piano). I've only just taken grade 5, as I stopped having lessons for a few years and I'm now behind - however my playing ability is higher than this.

My question is whether or not it's worth applying for university or whether I'll need to take a gap year in order to push my playing standard up. I do take A level music, and I am very strong when it comes to composition. I also sing and am hoping to start having lessons soon and enter at grade 7 or 8 in order to supplement my application.

I'm just unsure whether or not it's possible to make my personal statement appealing enough for universities to overlook that fact that I'm behind many others in terms of actual grade certificates etc.

Many Thanks!!
Original post by oscar1999
I really want to study music at university. I've finished my AS levels and so I'm starting to look at open days and work on my UCAS application, personal statement etc.

However, I'm behind in terms of grades for my main instrument (piano). I've only just taken grade 5, as I stopped having lessons for a few years and I'm now behind - however my playing ability is higher than this.

My question is whether or not it's worth applying for university or whether I'll need to take a gap year in order to push my playing standard up. I do take A level music, and I am very strong when it comes to composition. I also sing and am hoping to start having lessons soon and enter at grade 7 or 8 in order to supplement my application.

I'm just unsure whether or not it's possible to make my personal statement appealing enough for universities to overlook that fact that I'm behind many others in terms of actual grade certificates etc.

Many Thanks!!

I've asked for this to be moved to the Performing arts and music forum where it should be seen by our experts

There's a wide variety of music degrees out there with a range of balance between performance and theory. In general I'd always recommend submitting a speculative application through UCAS while you're at college/sixth form and have support and help, even if you're thinking of taking a gap year. That way if you end up taking a gap year you're familiar with the application process - this is especially true if you're likely to be applying through CUKAS as well as UCAS.

Many Thanks!!

Hello,

Depending on what universities you're thinking of, it should be sufficient to list your Grade 5 piano (as for most unis, that's the minimum requirement to be able to apply) but explain that you are of a higher standard. It just means that anywhere where you have an audition as part of the decision-making process, you will probably be asked to do a sightreading test.

What kinda level on piano (in terms of grades and diplomas) would you guess that you are currently on? :smile:
Reply 3
Hi! Thanks so much for your response.

In terms of practical ability, I'd say that I am around grade 7 standard, but it's my sight reading and theory that holds me back - I have such a good ear that as soon as I've worked out a piece of music, I can just remember it. Whilst this is what helps with my composition, it's such a hindrance when it comes to sight reading!!

I do however have a good grade 5 music theory knowledge and I can read music - it's just the pace at which I am required to sight read, as well as the multi-tasking aspect of both cleffs at once that I really struggle with.
Hi! Thanks so much for your response.

In terms of practical ability, I'd say that I am around grade 7 standard, but it's my sight reading and theory that holds me back - I have such a good ear that as soon as I've worked out a piece of music, I can just remember it. Whilst this is what helps with my composition, it's such a hindrance when it comes to sight reading!!

I do however have a good grade 5 music theory knowledge and I can read music - it's just the pace at which I am required to sight read, as well as the multi-tasking aspect of both cleffs at once that I really struggle with.

I hear you - my piano ability is similar. I can memorise anything but can't sightread at all :colondollar:

I think you would be fine to apply for 2017 entry but to be absolutely sure, email the admissions tutors/administrators of the music depts you are thinking of, to explain the situation and see whether they would require you to sightread, or just to play a Grade 7 piece at audition :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thank you so much, this sounds reassuring. Most of the universities I've looked at actually don't require an audition, so fingers crossed if I explain my situation well and highlight my strengths on the personal statement, it will be ok! :smile:
Thank you so much, this sounds reassuring. Most of the universities I've looked at actually don't require an audition, so fingers crossed if I explain my situation well and highlight my strengths on the personal statement, it will be ok! :smile:

Hope it all works out - good luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi
You may want to look at York as they interview and hear you play.The course looks really good too!
Reply 8
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! Yes, I'm definitely going to look at York in September when they have their next open day! :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! Yes, I'm definitely going to look at York in September when they have their next open day! :smile:

Hello,

We're taking bookings for our next Open Days now. They are on Saturday 17 September and Sunday 18 September. You can book your place here:
https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/visits/open-days/

Our Department of Music can normally be relied upon to put on something a bit special for our visitors at the Sir Jack Lyons Concert Hall.

You might also be interested in reading Josh's blog about studying Music at York:
http://blogs.york.ac.uk/student-voices/author/jm1409/

I hope this helps?

Mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending