The Student Room Group

I realized, that poor people really have it easy in the uk

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iEthan
Zacken is right. Contribute to the topic at hand or say nothing. If you have concerns, questions or general idle insults… please direct them to AtCT, not here. :proud: Members of staff, volunteers, etc. are humans and are perfectly allowed to have an opinion.

I did also leave my comment on the topic, within my post? I don't have any concerns or questions or nor did I insult anybody with the observation I made, regarding your comment. In my opinion, your comment was insulting to the op! So that's quite the contradiction!

Now to conclude other comments made regarding my original comment and my follow up post:
"I don't like this thread" was interpreted by me, to mean that iEthan disproved of the thread being made.. and I rightly or wrongly concluded that it was because of the assumption made by the OP.. and because the OP had little experience in actually meeting "poor people" he was unable to make this assumption? I happen to think the OP made a valid point and I was happy to have a debate about it. I found it personally insulting that the thread, that I found interesting, was being "played-down" by a "staff member" (support team or other in a position of authority)

Point 4 is your opinion and you are entitled to express this, although it is irrelevant due to the fact that some forum members actually do want a serious debate about this.. so what if the OP is "qualified" to make an opinion or not... I don't judge people in this way!
Original post by Iknowbest
I did also leave my comment on the topic, within my post? I don't have any concerns or questions or nor did I insult anybody with the observation I made, regarding your comment. In my opinion, your comment was insulting to the op! So that's quite the contradiction!

Now to conclude other comments made regarding my original comment and my follow up post:
"I don't like this thread" was interpreted by me, to mean that iEthan disproved of the thread being made.. and I rightly or wrongly concluded that it was because of the assumption made by the OP.. and because the OP had little experience in actually meeting "poor people" he was unable to make this assumption? I happen to think the OP made a valid point and I was happy to have a debate about it. I found it personally insulting that the thread, that I found interesting, was being "played-down" by a "staff member" (support team or other in a position of authority)

Point 4 is your opinion and you are entitled to express this, although it is irrelevant due to the fact that some forum members actually do want a serious debate about this.. so what if the OP is "qualified" to make an opinion or not... I don't judge people in this way!

I'm not arguing with you. Do what you will.
Original post by Seamus123
No, you aren't confused at all. First you start a thread about homeless people and now it's a bit of benefit bashing you're up for.
How many homeless people or poor people have you met? Not many, I'm sure. These type of threads say more about you than than they do about the people you are ****ging off and I know who I'd prefer to pass the time of day with.

Wrong sex - I'm a woman.
Reply 64
No since 2010 living on benefits has been a complete nightmare things were completely easier before 2010 where you could guarantee yourself a council house for life. And if you didn't feel like working you could pretend to suffer from depression and get on incapacity benefits no questions asked. Then we had the Tory government who made it 10x harder for anyone on benefits whether they were genuine or cheats, disabled or not everyone is now treated like scum by the DWP. Now even people with terminal illnesses are found to be fit for work by the likes of ATOS.
While they continue to impose austerity on people, not build enough houses whilst at the same time cutting taxes for the rich. You could see the impact austerity policy has had on the poor there has been a rise in homelessness and rough sleepers, public services are underfunded, not enough houses are being built all while our government invites multi millionaire foreign investors to buy properties in London and leave them empty without putting tax up.
Original post by Jee1
No since 2010 living on benefits has been a complete nightmare things were completely easier before 2010 where you could guarantee yourself a council house for life. And if you didn't feel like working you could pretend to suffer from depression and get on incapacity benefits no questions asked. Then we had the Tory government who made it 10x harder for anyone on benefits whether they were genuine or cheats, disabled or not everyone is now treated like scum by the DWP. Now even people with terminal illnesses are found to be fit for work by the likes of ATOS.
While they continue to impose austerity on people, not build enough houses whilst at the same time cutting taxes for the rich. You could see the impact austerity policy has had on the poor there has been a rise in homelessness and rough sleepers, public services are underfunded, not enough houses are being built all while our government invites multi millionaire foreign investors to buy properties in London and leave them empty without putting tax up.

Man that is ****ed up, tbh I never liked the tory party
Reply 66
Original post by Blue_Mason
Man that is ****ed up, tbh I never liked the tory party

Says the guy who has George Osborne as his profile picture
Original post by Jee1
Says the guy who has George Osborne as his profile picture

Yeah, when it was ran by david Cameron
Original post by S1939
Mate, have you not seen the line of homeless people every morning behind Leicester Square station? It's ridiculous.
This government needs to do so much more to tackle this issue head on. Too much talking, but no action!!!!!

I live in the north east and i thought that i had it bad with my long term unemployment.
Most of you have no idea what it's like to live on benefits. You've got no idea what it's like to be threatened with eviction whilst you wait for your housing benefits to be sorted. You've probably never had to fill in forms stating why you can't do basic everyday things like read and respond to your mail or why you need your friend to explain to his friends why he's having to do things like take you to the bloody toilet because you and him both know you can't follow simple directions without getting lost.
Are you bloody serious? Poor people do not have it easy in the UK. JSA is peanuts and any support has been slashed by the government so the ones who need financial support the most suffer even more.

Try living as a poor person and then come back.
Reply 71
Wow that was a really depressing post, but It is a rare thing to witness, maybe they were refugees?

It's not rare, the authorities are just more adept at keeping the homeless out of sight these days. The homeless in my town tend to camp in the surrounding forests because if they try sleep in town they are constantly forced to move on by the police
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Are you bloody serious? Poor people do not have it easy in the UK. JSA is peanuts and any support has been slashed by the government so the ones who need financial support the most suffer even more.

Try living as a poor person and then come back.

Well I was not aware of how many cuts have been in place because of this government
Original post by Wōden
It's not rare, the authorities are just more adept at keeping the homeless out of sight these days. The homeless in my town tend to camp in the surrounding forests because if they try sleep in town they are constantly forced to move on by the police

That is a damn shame, I mean sure we have beggars, and I was asked to buy breakfast for a homeless man, but my god where is society heading?
Well I was not aware of how many cuts have been in place because of this government

Maybe you should read up on them. Almost everyone of working age, regardless of their situation has to pay council tax now.

Perhaps instead of making ignorant and callous comments about something that make you look like a douche read up on it?
Perhaps instead of making ignorant and callous comments about something that make you look like a douche read up on it?

See, now why can't you reply to me without using such words?
I am actually educating myself on the subject.
See, now why can't you reply to me without using such words?
I am actually educating myself on the subject.

Mainly because you took the example of one person to generalise a whole group of people.

For someone whose a George Osbourne fangirl, I'd have expected more.

You may want to consider changing your profile picture until you learn a little bit more about what George Osborne does and how this has an impact on people. :redface:
Mainly because you took the example of one person to generalise a whole group of people.

For someone whose a George Osbourne fangirl, I'd have expected more.

Well I am not really exposed to poverty, but I do not know in what to make of the fangirl comment.
I just get the impression that those on welfare have to deal with less stress

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending