The Student Room Group

The NBA 2019-20 Thread - Free agency is mad - Westbrook to Houston, CP3 to OKC!?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrDystopia
I ran downstairs to tell my Mum cause I was so excited. My mum who cares 0% about basketball :lol:

Ha, my friends kept telling me off for posting so much on FB about Steph this last season, they don't even know what they're in for now..
Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 17.25.49.png
Couldn't agree more.
Original post by epic within
Couldn't agree more.

Likewise this:

He only gets crushed for GS. Not staying put. Not Celts or even Spurs. So I ask: When is last time YOU purposely chose harder route at work? (https://twitter.com/lebatardshow/status/749989693010444288)

But as it's sports fans, they'll obviously crucify KD for choosing the easier route to being a champion (As we all would choose to take the easier route).

One thing is for sure, Dubs are definitely the most hated team now :lol:
Likewise this:

He only gets crushed for GS. Not staying put. Not Celts or even Spurs. So I ask: When is last time YOU purposely chose harder route at work? (https://twitter.com/lebatardshow/status/749989693010444288)

But as it's sports fans, they'll obviously crucify KD for choosing the easier route to being a champion (As we all would choose to take the easier route).

One thing is for sure, Dubs are definitely the most hated team now :lol:

He was 1 win away from the NBA finals, he was with a team that is already a championship contender, his team lead 3-1 against a team that won 73 games last season and then you straight up choke against them at home and on the road. He got embarrassed by GSW and now you decide to join them? If he signed with Boston or San Antonio or OKC it wouldn't been a problem.
He was 1 win away from the NBA finals, he was with a team that is already a championship contender, his team lead 3-1 against a team that won 73 games last season and then you straight up choke against them at home and on the road. He got embarrassed by GSW and now you decide to join them? If he signed with Boston or San Antonio or OKC it wouldn't been a problem.

All of which is true, but with him on the Dubs, you cannot dispute that his chances of winning a ring have increased.
Reply 345
As a Thunder fan, I don't begrudge Durant moving, but for him to join GS is just a weak move, and probably the biggest betrayal he can do relative to the situation. To leave Thunder for the team that just about beat us, especially when we're probably better than them player for player, it's very frustrating. Westbrook and Adams will leave as soon as they can, and to be honest, I don't blame them. Durant could have at least told us early so that we could get FA but all the good ones have gone ffs.
Now the question is what will their lineup be like?

The ultra-mega death lineup? And depth wise what will they do.
Original post by MamzZass
The ultra-mega death lineup? And depth wise what will they do.

Give Looney more minutes. Most likely Bogut, Ezeli and Barnes are out, so they still have issue of finding a centre/big man or two.

Death line up is Steph/Klay/Green/Durant/Iggy So just our usual with Barnes replaced with KD now. Starting lineup is the same but as ever Iggy off the bench, and a replacement big man for Bogut starting.
All of which is true, but with him on the Dubs, you cannot dispute that his chances of winning a ring have increased.

I don't, but OKC now has Oladipo and Sabonis they improved from last year, again joining the Celtics or the Spurs would also increase his chances. The issue is that they beat them while he was up 3 games to 1. As much as dislike Lebron, him moving to Miami wasn't that bad compared to KD, Lebron left Cleveland because they were not a contender and there was no one apart from him.
Durant just became the biggest ***** in the NBA
I don't, but OKC now has Oladipo and Sabonis they improved from last year, again joining the Celtics or the Spurs would also increase his chances. The issue is that they beat them while he was up 3 games to 1. As much as dislike Lebron, him moving to Miami wasn't that bad compared to KD, Lebron left Cleveland because they were not a contender and there was no one apart from him.

I don't think you could say if KD moved to Boston or the Spurs that he would have an increased chance of winning. The way I see it, staying put, as you said, with the additions made would have given him a great chance yeah, but if he was to move anywhere else to have his best chance, it could only have been the Dubs (I mean, Cleveland too but they were never in the running).

And Lebron moving was definitely as bad given sure, he didn't leave a contender, but he did assemble a super team at Miami solely to win. In fact, you could argue collectively the big 3 all deciding to collectively come together on one team is just as worse than 1 star player joining another great team.

But that's besides the point, if you recall everyone DID hate on Lebron for his move. He was absolutely crucified for it. So in that respect, seeing the same thing happen now isn't really surprising. Everyone expected KD > GSW would be unpopular with all 29 other teams.

Edit: And let's not forget Lebron leaving his Miami superteam, ageing as it was, to rejoin the Cavs and form a new one with Kyrie/Love in place. But I guess since that had the whole 'I'm coming home' narrative that was all fine.

Narratives drive sports and all that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Look at this little beech :lol:
Original post by TheLittlestElf
Look at this little beech :lol:

If we're pulling out quotes from years ago, Oklahoma's owners to Seattle after the relocation: 'It's a business'.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2012/06/13/the-sordid-story-of-how-aubrey-mcclendon-and-pals-transformed-the-seattle-sonics-into-the-oklahoma-city-thunder/#54f75115c9a3

I know you're trying to justify Durants move but whatever way you try to slice it, Durant is a *****. You've said a few times its similar to Lebron joining Miami when it isn't at all and you'll see most the other fans on here agree with that
Seems like new rumours are floating around that Tim Duncan is thinking of retiring, with the Spurs looking at Pau Gasol for a replacement.

Shame to see him retire if last season was his last hurrah :frown:

Original post by TheLittlestElf
I know you're trying to justify Durants move but whatever way you try to slice it, Durant is a *****. You've said a few times its similar to Lebron joining Miami when it isn't at all and you'll see most the other fans on here agree with that

I don't have to justify anything.

From a 'purely basketball decision for KD' point of view, it makes logical sense.
From a 'fan of the Dubs' point of view, this is a glorious day.
From a 'fan of any of the other 29 teams' point of view, this is an awful day.

Just depends on which of the three categories you fall in, and how much objectivity or subjectivity you like in your opinions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 355
No point watching the NBA now lol :lol:

Russell gonna try go HAM whenever they play GSW now...
Original post by Bryci
Russell gonna try go HAM whenever they play GSW now...

It will be interesting now to see WB as the main star of the team. I expect he'll play like a man possessed all season long.

inb4 he averages a triple double for the whole season :lol:
Reply 357
It will be interesting now to see WB as the main star of the team. I expect he'll play like a man possessed all season long.

inb4 he averages a triple double for the whole season :lol:

Wouldn't be surprised. He's gonna chuck even more this season :rofl:

GSW easily the most hated team in the NBA now and rightly so. Also think fans will be supporting all the other 29 teams haha
Original post by Bryci
GSW easily the most hated team in the NBA now and rightly so. Also think fans will be supporting all the other 29 teams haha

As I said above, that was to be expected if KD move here. It happens all the time some team comes to dominate. It's happened with the Heat's Big 3, it's happened in the NFL with the Pats (Though that's more due to sustained dominance as opposed to suddenly becoming a super team), United in the Premiership, Chelsea or City when they had their influx of money :tongue:

Imagine if the Dubs lose, say, their first 3 games of the season. The amount of joy is gonna be incredible around every other team.

What is annoying is all the bandwagoners who hopped off when the Dubs lost to the Cavs last season are now gonna hop right back on ~_~
(edited 7 years ago)
GSW join us as the most hated team in America. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest