The Student Room Group

Unsure of denominator example C1

Howdy :smile:.

I get how to do the attached method but does this only work when the denominators are in a certain form?
This is because I can answer questions that are in the form of the attached with no problems but it doesn't seem to work with other forms of denominator?

For example: Would it work if one denominator was (y-1) and the other (y-2) as I can't get it to work as I may be doing it wrong. :s-smilie:

Attachment from my AQA book below.

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 14.56.10.png

Just to clarify: When can this method be used as it doesn't seem to work (if I am doing it right) on having denominators like (y - 1) and (y -2) etc.
Reply 1
1x+1+1x+2x+2(x+1)(x+2)+x+1(x+1)(x+2 \displaystyle \frac{1}{x+1} + \frac{1}{x+2} \equiv \frac{x+2}{(x+1)(x+2)} + \frac{x+1}{(x+1)(x+2} . This can be simplified. I'm not too sure what your question is but I hope this example shows you if you're doing it right or not.
Reply 2
Original post by B_9710
1x+1+1x+2x+2(x+1)(x+2)+x+1(x+1)(x+2 \displaystyle \frac{1}{x+1} + \frac{1}{x+2} \equiv \frac{x+2}{(x+1)(x+2)} + \frac{x+1}{(x+1)(x+2} . This can be simplified. I'm not too sure what your question is but I hope this example shows you if you're doing it right or not.

Hi, my question was can the attached method be used to solve questions with a denominator like (y-1) and (y-2).

So can you apply the method I attached to my original question, to the example you have just given?

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by makin
Hi, my question was can the attached method be used to solve questions with a denominator like (y-1) and (y-2).

So can you apply the method I attached to my original question, to the example you have just given?

Thanks

I'm not sure I k ow what you are describing as the method? Care to elaborate so I ca try to help more?
Reply 4
Method.png
Original post by B_9710
I'm not sure I k ow what you are describing as the method? Care to elaborate so I ca try to help more?

This pic is from my AQA book with the method that I mean ----->Method.png

I am trying to use this. Does that help?

Thanks for the help so far.

Don't know if this helps, op. It's a little mess I was in a rush :s-smilie:

Edit: I wrote 2(3) instead of 5(3) by mistake, the rest of my working is correct though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by makin
Method.png

This pic is from my AQA book with the method that I mean ----->Method.png

I am trying to use this. Does that help?

Thanks for the help so far.

I think that for combining fractions all you need to know is that you always need a common denominator. That's it. Just make the denominators the same in any way you can and then combine. Then just cancel down your fractions.
why u doing math now
??
What's the problem?
Original post by 34908seikj
What's the problem?

its summer man
exams are done
No exams are not done, AS exams are just starting :biggrin:
Reply 11
Summer is great time for maths.
Reply 12
Original post by 34908seikj
No exams are not done, AS exams are just starting :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure AS exams are finished, a while ago actually.
Original post by B_9710
I'm pretty sure AS exams are finished, a while ago actually.

[next years]

Quick Reply

Latest