The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lawatoxbridge
Could anyone let me know their pupilage stats e.g. applied for, got to first round, got to second round, offers etc? First year applying and honestly a little be disheartened by the rejections...

P.S. My boyfriend applied to 12 sets (7 Gateway, 5 Non-Gateway). He has had 6 first round interviews and 2 second round. This is his second year of applying; he has just finished the BPTC.
Reply 2621
Original post by new_tricks
This is the first year I have applied for pupillage having just completed the GDL. I applied to 8 sets (5 Gateway, 3 Non-Gateway). I had first round interviews at 7 sets, second round interviews at 4 and I am still waiting to hear from the eighth.

Massive congratulations on getting interviews for 7/8 of your applications (fingers crossed on the 8th one for you), especially on your first go! You must have an amazing application form, what's your secret?!
Original post by new_tricks
P.S. My boyfriend applied to 12 sets (7 Gateway, 5 Non-Gateway). He has had 6 first round interviews and 2 second round. This is his second year of applying; he has just finished the BPTC.

I just finished the GDL, so this is my first year applying. I've had 9 first round interviews, plus one more that has yet to take place, with 3 second rounds. Annoyingly, the second rounds all came at the beginning and the last 4-5 places I've interviewed for 1st rounds have been rejections, so the confidence levels are definitely rapidly declining! Still waiting to hear from one more place though, plus the other first round so who knows... But it is a bit of a soul-destroying process! Good luck to everyone!
Oh yeah, PS, post-first round Garden Court rejections out
Original post by SIE2013
Still no news regarding:
1 Pump Court
4 Brick Court
New Court

?

Does anybody know whether these sets tend to interview on weekdays or weekends?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still waiting on all of the above! Plus Fourteen.

Last year, New Court had invited me by the 2/6, first round 14/7, second round 22/7 (I was first reserve...).

Really not sure what, if anything, to read into the delays...
Original post by LawMe
Massive congratulations on getting interviews for 7/8 of your applications (fingers crossed on the 8th one for you), especially on your first go! You must have an amazing application form, what's your secret?!

Thank you. I think it helped that I limited the number of sets to which I applied. I am applying for the commercial bar and the interviews have been brutal; I don't know if I would have performed as well if there had been more to prepare for. On the other hand, my boyfriend has applied to family/criminal sets and he wishes he had applied to more.
Anyone know what to expect from Goldsmith second round?

Is it likely to contain plea/bail app?
1 pump court interviews out via gateway email
Original post by Lawatoxbridge
Could anyone let me know their pupilage stats e.g. applied for, got to first round, got to second round, offers etc? First year applying and honestly a little be disheartened by the rejections...

Hi there,so this year for me has been 12 gateway and 6 non gateway apps of which I had 11 first rounds and 5 second rounds. I've heard from everywhere now which is an odd feeling with 4 of the final rounds still left to do, at least one of which I'm sure I stand zero chance. The others I haven't a clue but I know how easy it would be to walk away with nothing.

Looking back, the Chambers where I have got through to second round were, generally speaking, the best fits from the outset so it does make sense in terms of thinking about where to apply and focus effort whilst still playing the numbers game to allow for some howlers. There were def some big disappointments in terms of not making it past first round or getting interviews in the first place for Sets I thought I had made a reasonable pitch.

Converting first to second rounds is really hard and I am not sure what the answer is other than chemistry and a bit of luck. Of course you need to prep really well too but I have had first rounds I thought went well and they turned into rejections (and vice versa). It all depends what they are looking for I guess and that can be impossible to judge.

It can also seem to make little sense with your getting interviews in more highly ranked sets than others where you should therefore think you might have stood a chance-the lesson I have taken from this is to apply where you really want to be and where your skills and experience mean you'd be a good fit. It's amazing how natural enthusiam shines through and I think that can make all the difference.

The whole process is so incredibly tough and demoralising especially as I have found the rejections always seem to pile in on the same day! I cannot wait for the whole thing to be over and for us to be put out of our misery. It's so nice to hear people getting the outcomes they want though and it does make me think we all just have to keep going as hard as that is right now.
Original post by lawgirl1992

Congrats! Looks like it's a no for me then. Gateway is driving me mad. I've worked out I have a 40% success rate in applications to non-gateway and 0% success on gateway. I've had a number of people look over my application and nobody can spot any problems with it. I'm wondering whether it's going to be worth even bothering with gateway next year or whether I should just focus on the non-gateway sets, any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last year I made 8 gateway applications and I received 5 first round offers and 4 second round offers.*

This year I made 12 gateway applications and I think 4 non gateway - 16 total. So far I have received 9 first round offers and I have three to hear from and 4 rejections. *
I have attended 4 first rounds and have received *offers of 2 second. This is my second time applying and I have just completed the BPTC.

I am a mature student on the BPTC, do not have A levels and graduated from a non RG university. *

Totally agree with the comments above. I seem to receive rejections all on the same day which is really hard, the next day you get good news! I have been gutted to be rejected post first round at sets I felt I did very well in interview. Had a car crash of an interview last week and received a second round...still trying to make sense of it all! *
has anyone heard from arden re. 2nd round, or 4 stone re. 1st round?
Original post by lawgirl1992

Cheers! Has anyone else heard?
Original post by RumpoleoftheTBC

Nothing yet, so I'm assuming that it's a no for me.

Is anyone applying to 2 Dr. Johnson's Buildings (outside GW)? Their advertisement popped up on the GW a few days ago, but I cannot find the application form anywhere on their website, nor did they get back to me when I emailed asking. It's a bit strange!
Reply 2634
Original post by thelawwon
Nothing yet, so I'm assuming that it's a no for me.

Is anyone applying to 2 Dr. Johnson's Buildings (outside GW)? Their advertisement popped up on the GW a few days ago, but I cannot find the application form anywhere on their website, nor did they get back to me when I emailed asking. It's a bit strange!

I noticed that too, I looked on their website the day the ad went up on GW so I thought they were just being a bit disorganised and hadn't put it up yet. I can't remember which set but that happened on another one I applied for where the ad went up on gateway but the application form didn't appear until a little while after!
Original post by RumpoleoftheTBC

Nothing.

Sad face.
Original post by lawuntomyself

ISTR from this forum that 4 Stone Buildings were inviting candidates to first round by telephone late last week. My Gateway hasn't changed.

Can't help with Arden I'm afraid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any experience of a second round at New Park Court (Leeds)? Any clues as to what the 'question to consider upon your arrival' might be would be very gratefully received! It doesn't sound like a bail application/plea in mitigation type scenario to me...
Reply 2638
Original post by lawuntomyself

Yeah I got an email from Arden the day of the 1st round interview saying i'd got a second round but they didn't know what date yet. They still haven't confirmed a date. Can't help with 4 stone, I'm afraid.
Anyone heard back from 39 Essex after the first round?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending