The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rhia9
Islam is a religion of peace. Is ISIS really "Islamic" or are they just using this as a mask and the real reason for the attacks is the urge to have power? Why do people say "Muslims were responsible for the 9/11 attacks, or the Paris bombings?" Were they really?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your first sentence is an oft-repeated platitude. The fact is that as well as containing peaceful verses, Islamic scripture is also overflowing with disgusting, violent, aggressive and hateful verses which groups like ISIS use to justify some of their most heinous acts.

Invoking the No True Scotsman fallacy every time a member of your religion does something you don't like is childish as well as futile, because it's essentially ignoring the problem at its root cause: the ideology.
I think ISIS are not Muslim at all, they pretend to be and use it as a mask.. If they really were Muslims (pure Muslims as they claim to be) then they would be fasting right now, not bombing, they would most likely also be in Itikaaf... They probably have never read the Quran or understood the basic pillars and principles of Islam which require us to be empathetic towards and look after the poor and needy, not brutally murder them.
No. Here's an idea: blame the people who did it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tictackilla
Shut up dude. You think you know everything but you dont and you are just insulting others' beliefs
I hope to god that's satire...
Reply 5
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Your first sentence is an oft-repeated platitude. The fact is that as well as containing peaceful verses, Islamic scripture is also overflowing with disgusting, violent, aggressive and hateful verses which groups like ISIS use to justify some of their most heinous acts.

Invoking the No True Scotsman fallacy every time a member of your religion does something you don't like is childish as well as futile, because it's essentially ignoring the problem at its root cause: the ideology.

I agree with you
As for the answer to the OP, I personally do
Reply 6

Your claim that Islamic Scripture is overflowing with aggressive language is new to me, have you got anything to prove this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends what you mean by blame muslims. You cna blame the ones who attacked and they happened to be muslims.
You shouldnt blame all muslims though as there are 1,600,000,000 of them and the number of terrorists is a tiny % of that total.

Yes it was fair to blame muslims for those attacks because they were by muslims. I wouldnt blame all muslims though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tamanna___
I think ISIS are not Muslim at all, they pretend to be and use it as a mask.. If they really were Muslims (pure Muslims as they claim to be) then they would be fasting right now, not bombing, they would most likely also be in Itikaaf... They probably have never read the Quran or understood the basic pillars and principles of Islam which require us to be empathetic towards and look after the poor and needy, not brutally murder them.

Only a bigot would say all Muslims are to blame for Islamic terrorist attacks, they're clearly not. But the problem with your post is that the definition of who a true Muslim is is subjective. In like manner, ISIS may accuse many Western Muslims of being apostates and will say that they themselves are the true Muslims.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Terry Tibbs
I hope to god that's satire...

Im tired of people blaming their problems on a special group of people. If its terrorists its muslim problem, if its something else its the migrants, other things it might be christians. You need to realise only sick people do this kind of stuff.
Only a bigot would say all Muslims are to blame for Islamic terrorist attacks, they're clearly not. But the problem with your post is that the definition of who a true Muslim is is subjective. In like manner, ISIS may accuse many Western Muslims of being apostates and that they themselves are the true Muslims.

There are bad people in all countries and all groups. It doesnt mean you can discriminate that group and say that group is messed up just because you dont like them.
Original post by rhia9
Your claim that Islamic Scripture is overflowing with aggressive language is new to me, have you got anything to prove this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you joking me? You're unaware of the countless verses insulting non-Muslims, describing in detail how they're going to be tortured in the afterlife and all the verses talking about horrible Earthly punishments? I'm sorry to say you can't have read the Quran then. You might want to check out this short list:

Quran 5:33, 98:6, 3:91, 4:56, 8:39.
Only a bigot would say all Muslims are to blame for Islamic terrorist attacks, they're clearly not. But the problem with your post is that the definition of who a true Muslim is is subjective. In like manner, ISIS may accuse many Western Muslims of being apostates and that they themselves are the true Muslims.

Okay, well i dont know what a true or perfect Muslim is, (Its actually not right for us to say what a perfect Muslim is :L ) but the things i mentioned e.g Fasting, Charity etc, they are all part of the 5 basic duties for every Muslim and it is compulsary, so i mean if they were muslim, like every other Muslim in the world they would fulfil these duties at the least :smile: Hope that clarifies things
(edited 7 years ago)
There are bad people in all countries and all groups. It doesnt mean you can discriminate that group and say that group is messed up just because you dont like them.

You seem to have trouble grasping the distinction between criticising an ideology and criticising the adherents of that ideology.

Can you blame all Muslims for the actions of a few? Of course not.
Can you blame the belief system that the few follow, which in this case happens to be Islam? Most definitely.
(edited 7 years ago)

Did you not read my post? I just said that only a bigot would blame an entire religious group for the actions of a few.
Reply 15
Another point - with the Charleston shooting that was carried out by a WHITE man, I have not heard the word terrorist once. Just "mental illness". Is that fair? If a Syrian man carried out the same attack in an English church, the first thing you'd see on the media is that a terrorist attack has taken place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rhia9
Islam is a religion of peace. Is ISIS really "Islamic" or are they just using this as a mask and the real reason for the attacks is the urge to have power? Why do people say "Muslims were responsible for the 9/11 attacks, or the Paris bombings?" Were they really?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it fair to blame Muslims as a whole, as in people who follow the teachings of Islam? Of course not. There are plenty of delightful Muslims who have moderated their beliefs in keeping with the times; I'm lucky enough to be friends with a few such. To tar them all with that brush would be unreasonable in the extreme.

Is it fair to blame Islam though, as in the doctrines and religious bodies themselves, rather than the people they preach to? Absolutely. Islam and the religious bodies which speak for it, espouse some truly vile things, and should most definitely be held accountable for them. The actions of ISIS have justification in the Qur'an and Hadith; you may choose to interpret these things differently, or better yet ignore the nastier bits entirely, but Islamic scripture most certainly condones some truly barbaric things.

Conflating criticism of Islam with criticism of Muslims is counterproductive and serves only to deflect criticism from a doctrine which supports some truly abhorrent things. I don't think Muslims are responsible for the Paris attacks or for ISIS, amongst many other atrocities, but I most certainly do think that Islam is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rhia9

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a common misconception that blaming Islam for terror attacks means blaming all Muslims.

Islam, a monotheistic faith.

Muslim, a follower of Islam.

Criticism of Islam is perfectly acceptable so long as the argument is well founded, which it usually is before being gunned down by Liberals suffering from a knee-jerk reaction - ironically making them bigots.

Criticism of Muslims, however, for the actions of a few, is called bigotry. So you can't go blame Ahmed who works in the corner shop for something ISIS did thousands of miles away.

Based on the above, calling Islam "the Religion of Peace" is stupid and the use of the word "Islamophobia" should cease.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Nope..

Is it fair to blame "white" people for slavery?
is it fair to blame Christians for the KKK?
is it fair to blame Christians for Breivik?
Is it fair to blame Christians for the Lords Resistance Army?
Is it fair to blame Christians for the Westboro Baptist Church?
Is it fair to blame Sikhs for Flight 182?
Is it fair to blame Jews for the actions of the state of Israel?
is it fair to blame Indians/Hindus for the actions of Hindu extremists in India?
Is it fair to blame Buddhists for Wirathu (aka the Burmese Bin Laden)?
is it fair to blame white people for the destructing of ancient civilisations such the Indians?
is it fair to blame Christians for Hitler and Nazi's?
is it fair to blame the Chinese for Chairman Mao?
is it fair to blame normal everyday Americans for the atomic bomb attacks which still effects peoples lives today?
is it fair to blame us Brits for the drone strikes which kill innocent people?
Is it fair to blame Muslims for ISIS?

you get the picture....
So everything is my fault? :sad:

Latest

Trending

Trending