The Student Room Group

Taxi driver refuses to take disabled passenger with guide dog for religious reasons

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-36702326

Interesting dilemma.

The right to practise your religion vs. the right not to be discriminated against as a disabled person.

Scroll to see replies

What religious reasons fam :s
Why would you take a job like this, if you weren't willing (without good reason) to do part of your job?
that taxi driver needs a life :erm: humanity first
Original post by teenhorrorstory

Feel free to correct me as I am basing this purely on recollection, but don't Muslims view dogs as 'unclean' animals? I think they take the opposite view of cats, however.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Grand High Witch
Feel free to correct me as I am basing this purely on recollection, but don't Muslims view dogs as 'unclean' animals? I think they take the opposite view of cats, however.

My understanding was that that's a cultural thing, not a religious thing.

Driver was rightly fired.
(edited 7 years ago)
"Charles Bloch, 22, was with his girlfriend and dog Carlo"

Had to read that bit twice, I was a bit disturbed at first.

Interesting dilemma.

The right to practise your religion vs. the right not to be discriminated against as a disabled person.

Or to put it another way: The right to be hypocritically nasty to a disadvantaged person for reasons of superstition.

Dogs are perfectly fine in certain scenarios , this is one of them. Their is no religious precedence for what the driver did , so don't blame it on the religion rather than the driver

Interesting dilemma.

Not interesting or a dilemma at all.

The taxi was in the wrong, he was in breach of the law and his licence.

If the person gives a statement then the Council will sanction him and hopefully remove his licence.

Dont use it as a boring stick to beat all muslims up with as am sure similar situation have happened before from lazy drivers needing an excuse.
If the driver wasn't willing to do have an assistance dog in his car, why be a taxi driver? He is definitely in the wrong, even if it was for 'religious reasons' i'm damn sure he doesn't follow every single rule of his religion. *****y excuse.
Was the dog trans-gender?

Interesting dilemma.

I don't know what religion banns dogs in cars, but hey, leave it, he's making money off you if you go in his car, so just get a different taxi.
Would you feel the same way with someone who has a Phobia of dogs?
Original post by omfgalib
I don't know what religion banns dogs in cars, but hey, leave it, he's making money off you if you go in his car, so just get a different taxi.

Well he's not now, he's been sacked.😊
this isn't the first time this has happened for 'religious' reasons and it won't be the last.
Original post by omfgalib
so just get a different taxi.

that's not the way it works and it's thinking like this that leads to some taxi drivers thinking it's ok to leave blind people by the side of the road,The law is clear so no they don't just have to 'get a different taxi'
I swear all the time I hear about Muslims doing bad things on TSR.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
That's what I'm wondering. I'm not aware of any religion at all which orders adherents to not give a blind man and his dog a ride.
Original post by Mathemagicien
How is this news?

Why is a national newspaper reporting this?

It seems (after speaking to a blind friend I have) that there has been a marked increase in this issue (along with access to places to eat) so they are trying to get the issue highlighted to raise awareness. It is after all 2016 and this should simply not be happening at all
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending