The Student Room Group

AQA Economics

I am starting sixth form in september and am currently signed up to do economics with the exam board AQA - can anyone tell me a brief summary of what the subject includes? The description my school provided was vague and included terms I have yet to learn (due to have not started the course yet) so didn't tell me much. Any information would be helpful, thank you :smile:
Original post by chezzapenny
I am starting sixth form in september and am currently signed up to do economics with the exam board AQA - can anyone tell me a brief summary of what the subject includes? The description my school provided was vague and included terms I have yet to learn (due to have not started the course yet) so didn't tell me much. Any information would be helpful, thank you :smile:

Well I did the old spec, but the new one I am told is the same but with some more financial based questions. So it will still have two primary units in the first, year, microeconomic, looking at specific markets and failure, and macroeconomics, looking at the economy, effects on it as a whole, monetary policy, fiscal policy, how the government can grow the economy/ policy tools it can use. Basically the essays are usually 2/3 points, backed up with economic knowledge, of varied arguments/ways of what the government should do and why. And say why one may be better than the other and overall why it is. I don't think I went into too much detail lol, though I recommend you read Adam Smiths a wealth of nations, or Keynes book on the general theory of unemployment, I found them interesting and started reading them after the first year, though they help enhance your knowledge and in my opinion really understand things.
Reply 2
Original post by IronicalMan
Well I did the old spec, but the new one I am told is the same but with some more financial based questions. So it will still have two primary units in the first, year, microeconomic, looking at specific markets and failure, and macroeconomics, looking at the economy, effects on it as a whole, monetary policy, fiscal policy, how the government can grow the economy/ policy tools it can use. Basically the essays are usually 2/3 points, backed up with economic knowledge, of varied arguments/ways of what the government should do and why. And say why one may be better than the other and overall why it is. I don't think I went into too much detail lol, though I recommend you read Adam Smiths a wealth of nations, or Keynes book on the general theory of unemployment, I found them interesting and started reading them after the first year, though they help enhance your knowledge and in my opinion really understand things.

Thank you - that's really helpful, would there be any point in reading those books before starting the course or do you need an understanding of economics to comprehend it? At GCSE I did business studies (got pretty good grades in my course work and hopefully my exams) so I hope to have some basic understanding already - although I do realise they are quite different! :smile:
Original post by chezzapenny
Thank you - that's really helpful, would there be any point in reading those books before starting the course or do you need an understanding of economics to comprehend it? At GCSE I did business studies (got pretty good grades in my course work and hopefully my exams) so I hope to have some basic understanding already - although I do realise they are quite different! :smile:

Well yes, read them, they're interesting, though I'd pick the wealth of nations as all economics is based pretty much from Adam Smith and that book, it's also really well explained and Keynesian stuff although is in a level economics you don't need to read it to understand the book, infact you probably won't have time to read both, I've read about 3/4 of the wealth of nations and stopped on colonies, though only about 10 pages into keynes book.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending