The Student Room Group

A Level geography, maths and physics - suitable for law or Japanese?

At the moment, I'd like to go into either the diplomatic service or law in the future. My strong subjects at school are maths, physics, Japanese and geography, and I am predicted A* (or 8/9 in maths and English) for all my GCSEs. Japanese a level has been cancelled at my school, and no other state schools in the county offer it A level. At the moment we are talking to the school about whether we can run a JLPT (internationally recognised Japanese qualification) club instead to show language ability and ambition. I'd like to do either law or Japanese at university level - would maths, physics and geography be suitable?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by ravenclaw_
At the moment, I'd like to go into either the diplomatic service or law in the future. My strong subjects at school are maths, physics, Japanese and geography, and I am predicted A* (or 8/9 in maths and English) for all my GCSEs. Japanese a level has been cancelled at my school, and no other state schools in the county offer it A level. At the moment we are talking to the school about whether we can run a JLPT (internationally recognised Japanese qualification) club instead to show language ability and ambition. I'd like to do either law or Japanese at university level - would maths, physics and geography be suitable?

Ay yo, I'm sorry Japanese A Level has been cancelled :frown: you could try self-teaching it? That's what I'm doing.

If not, then working on the JLPT and passing say at least N4 (which is just a bit above GCSE level) should show a lot of interest, and keep you in the game for Japanese. For law, your subject combinations are fine - you've got a traditional essay subject in there and nothing else really matters! You might want to consider taking another language at A Level, though, since it would likely strengthen a Japanese application to show a general interest in languages? But it's in no way necessary if you're doing the JLPT.

I'd say doing humanity subjects, like English lit, history, politics or a language would be more suitable than Maths and Physics for a degree in Japanese or law, as they can help with essay writing, and languages are super helpful to have on your CV. Also, if you do choose to do Japanese, already having a language will help make learning Japanese easier.

I've just finished a degree in Chinese with Japanese and did French, German, Politics and Geography to A Level
Original post by super_kawaii
I'd say doing humanity subjects, like English lit, history, politics or a language would be more suitable than Maths and Physics for a degree in Japanese or law, as they can help with essay writing, and languages are super helpful to have on your CV. Also, if you do choose to do Japanese, already having a language will help make learning Japanese easier.

I've just finished a degree in Chinese with Japanese and did French, German, Politics and Geography to A Level

(whispers congrats on your degree ahhh!!!)

It turns out that as long as you have one essay subject and the rest are vaguely traditional, nobody actually cares what you study for law :frown: I keep talking to lawyers who are like "oh yeah I did 2 sciences and maths at A Level plus history" and I die a little inside each time.
Original post by roarchika
(whispers congrats on your degree ahhh!!!)

It turns out that as long as you have one essay subject and the rest are vaguely traditional, nobody actually cares what you study for law :frown: I keep talking to lawyers who are like "oh yeah I did 2 sciences and maths at A Level plus history" and I die a little inside each time.

Yeah, it is possible-a lad on my course did all sciences! It's just most people I know who do/did law at uni did traditional essay subjects to A Level, as they tend to help with the study mindset for law.

Surprisingly enough, I heard a lot of unis don't like law applicants taking law A Level
Reply 6
Ay yo, I'm sorry Japanese A Level has been cancelled :frown: you could try self-teaching it? That's what I'm doing.

If not, then working on the JLPT and passing say at least N4 (which is just a bit above GCSE level) should show a lot of interest, and keep you in the game for Japanese. For law, your subject combinations are fine - you've got a traditional essay subject in there and nothing else really matters! You might want to consider taking another language at A Level, though, since it would likely strengthen a Japanese application to show a general interest in languages? But it's in no way necessary if you're doing the JLPT.

Hi thanks for your reply :smile:
Me and my friends talked to the school a lot before they made their final decision to not offer it A Level. We're proposing a JLPT club, so hopefully that will go through. Japanese is the only language I take GCSE which is a slight problem, so when it comes to uni applications Im going to explain the situation and why I have no language a level.
Yeah, it is possible-a lad on my course did all sciences! It's just most people I know who do/did law at uni did traditional essay subjects to A Level, as they tend to help with the study mindset for law.

Surprisingly enough, I heard a lot of unis don't like law applicants taking law A Level

That is true! I myself am doing all traditional essays/languages, and that's what the head of UCAS at my school agreed I should do (that might also be because I'm terrible at science lol).

Hi thanks for your reply :smile:
Me and my friends talked to the school a lot before they made their final decision to not offer it A Level. We're proposing a JLPT club, so hopefully that will go through. Japanese is the only language I take GCSE which is a slight problem, so when it comes to uni applications Im going to explain the situation and why I have no language a level.

It's no problem! I really do hope your JLPT club goes through - you could try and tackle, say, 2 grammar points every meeting and practice using them, and have vocab tests and stuff? That might be too scary and strict for a club, though >-< but still, 我慢すると絶対できると思います!
If it's the only language you were able to take, I'm sure universities will be sympathetic! Don't worry about it :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Well I thought I posted on the A level and GCSE forums but I guess I didn't...I'm new on this site lol
Thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 9
I'd asvise Maths, and a language for law/A-levels. Geography if you really love it but a traditional essay-based A-level would prbably be better (English Lit, History, etc.). No one will require Japanese but they will probably want some language to A-level.

So, if you could muster the enthusiasm for it, Maths, English Lit, and Geography keeps your options pretty open, or Maths, a foreign language, plus English Li.
Reply 10

As I'm looking to apply to the likes of Cambridge for law, I'm not sure I could really get away with doing geography as my only essay based subject... is geography even officially counted as an essay based subject?Another option I have considered is doing government and politics which is offered at a nearby grammar sixth form, but I quite like my school and taking a new subject is a bit of a risk...
Reply 11
Original post by Assan
I'd asvise Maths, and a language for law/A-levels. Geography if you really love it but a traditional essay-based A-level would prbably be better (English Lit, History, etc.). No one will require Japanese but they will probably want some language to A-level.

So, if you could muster the enthusiasm for it, Maths, English Lit, and Geography keeps your options pretty open, or Maths, a foreign language, plus English Li.

Thanks for your reply :smile:My problem is I dropped history for GCSE (trust me I tried so hard in year 9 to do well, but geography just came so much more naturally and I got an A* in every assessment) so I can't do it a level. I thought very long and hard about doing history or geography GCSE but didn't want to risk it with history. I can't do a foreign language other than Japanese (which has been cancelled by my sixth form and no where else in the county does it) as it's the only language GCSE I take. I'm (hopefully) going to do a separate Japanese qualification as a super curricular activity though, so maybe that would work? I love English lit, but at the moment I'm predicted a 8/9, so I'm not sure I could cope with it at a level if I'm unsure to get top grades GCSE.
Reply 12
That is true! I myself am doing all traditional essays/languages, and that's what the head of UCAS at my school agreed I should do (that might also be because I'm terrible at science lol).

It's no problem! I really do hope your JLPT club goes through - you could try and tackle, say, 2 grammar points every meeting and practice using them, and have vocab tests and stuff? That might be too scary and strict for a club, though >-< but still, 我慢すると絶対できると思います!
If it's the only language you were able to take, I'm sure universities will be sympathetic! Don't worry about it :smile:
Thanks for your support! :smile: I really hope the school go through with it too, else my Japanese and/or law prospects are out the window... It depends whether our current Japanese teacher will stay on at the school, as it hasn't been made clear whether the school are cutting Japanese for GCSE and KS3 too.
As I'm looking to apply to the likes of Cambridge for law, I'm not sure I could really get away with doing geography as my only essay based subject... is geography even officially counted as an essay based subject?Another option I have considered is doing government and politics which is offered at a nearby grammar sixth form, but I quite like my school and taking a new subject is a bit of a risk...

English lit and history would be perfect for Cambridge. Politics and Geography aren't as respected at Cambride I don't think. If moving will help get into your preferred uni, move! Do not jeopardise your future for petty school preferences *
Reply 14
English lit and history would be perfect for Cambridge. Politics and Geography aren't as respected at Cambride I don't think. If moving will help get into your preferred uni, move! Do not jeopardise your future for petty school preferences *

Hey I think you misunderstood my comment - government and politics is offered at the other school. I didn't know government and politics weren't respected a levels so thanks for that info. I don't think I'm going to be able to do law if I want to go to a good uni as I can't do history a level (not doing it GCSE) and if I did English lit I'm not confident I'll do well. Thanks for your comment though :smile:
Reply 15
I'm also grade 7 trumpet and doing well at music GCSE currently, but I don't think music will be any better than maths, physics or geography ... Or will it??
Hey I think you misunderstood my comment - government and politics is offered at the other school. I didn't know government and politics weren't respected a levels so thanks for that info. I don't think I'm going to be able to do law if I want to go to a good uni as I can't do history a level (not doing it GCSE) and if I did English lit I'm not confident I'll do well. Thanks for your comment though :smile:

It's not that it's not a respected A Level, it's just English lit, history and language A Levels are MORE respected and are what you should be aiming to take if you're aiming for one of the most competitive courses at a world top 10 institute of higher education. *
Reply 17
I do not know about Japanese but I have visited University Law talks at Durham, Bristol, UCL, Surrey and Southampton, they've all said it doesn't matter what A-Levels you do. They also say doing essay based subjects does not give you a better chance than science ones, they only don't like General Studies and Critical Thinking like most courses.
I myself am applying for LLB Law next year and I'll be doing Maths, Geography and Psychology.
Reply 18
Thanks for your reply :smile:My problem is I dropped history for GCSE (trust me I tried so hard in year 9 to do well, but geography just came so much more naturally and I got an A* in every assessment) so I can't do it a level. I thought very long and hard about doing history or geography GCSE but didn't want to risk it with history. I can't do a foreign language other than Japanese (which has been cancelled by my sixth form and no where else in the county does it) as it's the only language GCSE I take. I'm (hopefully) going to do a separate Japanese qualification as a super curricular activity though, so maybe that would work? I love English lit, but at the moment I'm predicted a 8/9, so I'm not sure I could cope with it at a level if I'm unsure to get top grades GCSE.

Understood. If you can't continue Japanese formally, do not, under any circumstances, stop studying it. Self teach if you must.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending