The Student Room Group

Phobia of theme park rides :(

Hi everyone :smile:

Basically, I have a phobia of theme park rides which means that whenever we go to a theme park or funfair, I usually end up going on hardly any rides whatsoever, because I just generally feel uncomfortable and my stomach can never cope with it.

The thing is when I was younger I loved going on rides, but there was one experience where my mum basically forced me on a "gentle" rollercoaster, which turned out to be one of the most extreme, and it pretty much put me off all rides altogether

However, I see people on rides having so much fun, even those much younger than I am, and they can't feel a thing, but I can't survive a small ride without being in pain.

Does anyone else have the same issue and does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to help conquer my fear (if it can)?
Reply 1
The best way to conquer fear is exposure to it, so go and get on some rides.

Try and associate it with something positive, for example, you could have banter with the lads before, and then eat an ice cream after. :wink:
Reply 2
Don't think anything of it. Scariness is only in the mind. As the guy above says, associate it with something positive. You'll find that it's over before you know it.

I used to be terrified of roller coasters and now I love them! I started by going with an open mind, not thinking about it but just thinking positive, you'll be surprised how much you enjoy it :smile:
Original post by omfgalib
The best way to conquer fear is exposure to it, so go and get on some rides.Try and associate it with something positive, for example, you could have banter with the lads before, and then eat an ice cream after. :wink:

Original post by UWS
Don't think anything of it. Scariness is only in the mind. As the guy above says, associate it with something positive. You'll find that it's over before you know it.

I used to be terrified of roller coasters and now I love them! I started by going with an open mind, not thinking about it but just thinking positive, you'll be surprised how much you enjoy it :smile:

Ooh ice cream:biggrin:

Thank you guys for the advice :smile:

Yeah I think you're right, there isn't really any way around it, hopefully it will help:h:
Same. I have no idea why people find those horrible things "fun"
Reply 5
I feel exactly the same I haven't been to a theme park in years and the last time I did I was so terrified I couldn't even go on the baby rides.
However when I was younger I wasn't too afraid and I would go on most rides just not extreme rollercoasters.
But now just thinking about them makes me anxious and reading all of those stories in the news about accidents really doesn't help. I'm so glad to find someone who understands! :h:
Original post by raven48
I feel exactly the same I haven't been to a theme park in years and the last time I did I was so terrified I couldn't even go on the baby rides.
However when I was younger I wasn't too afraid and I would go on most rides just not extreme rollercoasters.
But now just thinking about them makes me anxious and reading all of those stories in the news about accidents really doesn't help. I'm so glad to find someone who understands! :h:

Exactly, that's the thing I don't understand:confused: Why is that we used to love most rides but now we can't cope with them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending