The Student Room Group

Geology EPQ titles

I've recently started my EPQ, but I'm stuck on coming up with a title for my project. I'm interested in geology, specifically volcanoes. I would like to do my report on a volcano such as Eyjafjallajokull in Iceland or Krakatoa but I'm not sure how to narrow down the question. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by samanthayates98
I've recently started my EPQ, but I'm stuck on coming up with a title for my project. I'm interested in geology, specifically volcanoes. I would like to do my report on a volcano such as Eyjafjallajokull in Iceland or Krakatoa but I'm not sure how to narrow down the question. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wow! When I did my EPQ, those were my exact thoughts! I also wanted to do my project on volcanoes, specifically Eyjafjallajokull and Krakatoa! What are the chances of that? :tongue:

Perhaps you could do your project comparing two volcanoes/types of volcanoes, in terms of their formation, the hazards they present and the different ways in which people have adapted to their presence? For example, a comparison of Mount St Helens in the USA with Mauna Loa in Hawaii. Mount St Helens formed on a destructive plate boundary, whereas Mauna Loa formed at a hot spot. The main hazards of Mount St Helens are violent eruptions which produce vast quantities of ash, pyroclastic flows and mudslides, whereas the main hazards of Mauna Loa are gas and extensive lava flows. And so on!

I'm not sure how you could incorporate argument into the question though, but I'm sure there's a way! I hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Wow! When I did my EPQ, those were my exact thoughts! I also wanted to do my project on volcanoes, specifically Eyjafjallajokull and Krakatoa! What are the chances of that? :tongue:

Perhaps you could do your project comparing two volcanoes/types of volcanoes, in terms of their formation, the hazards they present and the different ways in which people have adapted to their presence? For example, a comparison of Mount St Helens in the USA with Mauna Loa in Hawaii. Mount St Helens formed on a destructive plate boundary, whereas Mauna Loa formed at a hot spot. The main hazards of Mount St Helens are violent eruptions which produce vast quantities of ash, pyroclastic flows and mudslides, whereas the main hazards of Mauna Loa are gas and extensive lava flows. And so on!

I'm not sure how you could incorporate argument into the question though, but I'm sure there's a way! I hope that helps :smile:

What a coincidence! Those are great ideas, thanks! And trying to put ideas into a short question/title is difficult so i'll probably ask a teacher on how I should word it. Thanks so much for your help! What did you end up doing your EPQ on?
Original post by samanthayates98
What a coincidence! Those are great ideas, thanks! And trying to put ideas into a short question/title is difficult so i'll probably ask a teacher on how I should word it. Thanks so much for your help! What did you end up doing your EPQ on?

You're welcome!

I did my project on the extinction of the dinosaurs! I researched the different theories for the extinction, then came to a conclusion on which was/were the most likely :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest