The Student Room Group

Guys, do you know how to cook??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
How on earth can you not cook?
Were you not taught?
Cooking is fundamental skill, and I look down on people who cannot cook.

How on earth can you not cook?I didn't have to. Were you not taught?No. I was not.Cooking is fundamental skill, and I look down on people who cannot cook.Things can be learnt and cooking is acquired skill. I am planning to skim through a culinary book.

That thread was why I quoted you :wink:
If you "can't cook" then look up some recipes and learn how. Cooking your own food is cheaper than buying ready-meals. Start learning, and you'll see how easy it is. I'm amazed at people who manage to burn pasta.
Has anyone exploded egg in microwave?
Original post by omfgalib
If you "can't cook" then look up some recipes and learn how. Cooking your own food is cheaper than buying ready-meals. Start learning, and you'll see how easy it is. I'm amazed at people who manage to burn pasta.

I think am the type of person to burn pasta ._.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I cooked a bit as an undergraduate but I always found it hard to justify the cost of slightly obscure ingredients so I kept things simple.

Now that I'm a funded postgraduate I treat cooking as a hobby just as much as a means to an end. Because of my funding I can quite happily drop £5-£10 on making a couple of meals. Whereas before I'd aim for <£1 per portion. I can afford to experiment heavily AND for it to go wrong. I've made some pretty weird things, too. Like yesterday I made bacon jam. I'm still not sure if I like it.
My cooking is awful. With pot noodles, I left the sachet in when adding the hot water...

Yeah, let's say a few of my friends had a laughing fit.
Original post by Supercrazy21
All I know how to do is boil water -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Throw some pasta in there, and you've almost cooked a perfectly good cheap meal. :lol:

Cooking really isn't that hard, just try out some basic meals. It's worth it at uni, you'd save so much money by cooking for yourself.
I can cook virtually anything if I wanted to
I can cook chilli, steaks, pasta, risotto, griddled stuff, gnocchi, calamari, curry
Original post by Lord Samosa
Throw some pasta in there, and you've almost cooked a perfectly good cheap meal. :lol:

Cooking really isn't that hard, just try out some basic meals. It's worth it at uni, you'd save so much money by cooking for yourself.

Pasta by its self is not exactly a meal to be proud of lul and won't even taste nice ._.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, it's really not difficult.
Original post by Supercrazy21
Pasta by its self is not exactly a meal to be proud of lul and won't even taste nice ._.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then add a sauce.

White sauce (milk + flour) is the best basic one to make. Add cheese and a pinch of mustard powder and guess what you've got? Add some mushrooms and garlic guess what you've got? The combinations are endless.
If you want something really easy, why not add some tinned soup?
Kind of. If you want to live off stir fry, then I am practically a Michelin Star chef.
Yeah, I can. Give me a cook book and I really can. Without it, my skills in cooking are restricted. *
Original post by Blue_Mason
How on earth can you not cook? Were you not taught? Cooking is fundamental skill, and I look down on people who cannot cook.
If people get to around 20 and can't cook it's more than likely because they live off junk food and ready meals or somebody else is cooking for them.
I can cook a mean dish. You name it :u:.
Although the when I experiment with food it ends up tasting like...well crap.
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Yeah, it's really not difficult.

For you. I have seen people who are not even able to cook the simplest things. Sad but true.*
They can cook, if tea counts. :smile:
Reply 38
It's not really that hard haha. There are so many good YouTube channels that help with beginners. Just type out what you want to cook into YouTube.
Remember that practice is key with cooking :biggrin:
Reply 39
Original post by tangotangopapa2
Has anyone exploded egg in microwave?

How did that happen? lol

Quick Reply

Latest