The Student Room Group

What calculator do you use?

I want to find a calculator that can help me with A level maths. i used to have a canon one but lost it :cry: and i forgot the model, it was a calculator that i was very comfortable with, i know a lot of the buttons and its function. i had to replace it with a casio fx-83GT plus which is ok, but i dont feel content with it (probably because im still mourning about the loss of my canon one :rofl: oh and the one i currently have doesnt have a solar panel, i feel like it could die on me in exams and i wouldnt be able to use it lol)

what calculator do you use and i heard a graphical one is good for C2 or something? ive never used a graphical calc before so im not sure which ones are good :P
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Casio FX-991ESPLUS - This is the calculator you're talking about.
Get one that can integrate numerically, genuinely saved me like 10 marks on C4 and FP2!
I love the Casio FX-991ESPLUS, but it isn't graphical. It is silver and allows for calculus and solving equations. It is incredibly handy for checking A-Level Maths answers.
Not sure which one I'll be needing for A Level but it'll be sad to part with this beauty:

Had it since the first day of year 7 :love:
Reply 5
Original post by 34908seikj

that looks so gorgeous :daydreaming:
Original post by smartalan73
Get one that can integrate numerically, genuinely saved me like 10 marks on C4 and FP2!

I wish there was a calculator that could just give you an answer like "4+3ln2", would be handy.
I used a Casio fx-83 GT plus throughout my A Levels and undergraduate degree in theoretical physics and it did the job just fine. I do also have a graphical calculator, which was a Texus TI-84 Plus. That was useful for plotting graphs etc. I think graphical calculators are allowed in A Level exams, but (at least at my uni) they were not allowed at university level. So consider whether it's worth getting one if you're only going to use it for A levels.
I got by with a standard scientific calculator. If I could go back, I might, might have gotten one of those fancy ones where you can check integrals and sketch graphs and stuff but for me it was pretty much unnecessary/unheard of (in my class).
I mean, I'm pretty impartial when it comes to the aesthetics of a calculator, but whatever floats your boat...
I would recommend investing in a Casio Fx-9860GII aswell, it gained me 2 marks in the C3 exam as I forgot how to draw arcsin :laugh:

Also you can download programs to do calculus for you, however this is banned in exams and I do not recommend doing this.

Also it serves as a good backup incase your main one dies in the exam.

Ah I love calculators :cute:

I second it - I bought it for AS maths and it was incredibly useful although most people just used their old high school calculators and did just fine in their exams - it's only for A2 when you need a graphical calculator.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bjornhattan
I wish there was a calculator that could just give you an answer like "4+3ln2", would be handy.

My old calculator I used up until gcse couldn't even give you the answer in fraction form so I was just in awe of this calculator that could speak to me in logs and surds!

£10 on ebay*
Original post by Katiee224

I would recommend investing in a Casio Fx-9860GII

however this is banned in exams and I do not recommend doing this.

****in' pick one.
Original post by the bear

£10 on ebay*

That's a classic calculator.
Original post by surina16
Not sure which one I'll be needing for A Level but it'll be sad to part with this beauty:

Had it since the first day of year 7 :love:

Yeah 7? Wow I'm impressed.

I bought like 8 calculators in my 5 years of high school lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the bear

£10 on ebay*

What you can't see in the picture is the ten minute wait for your calculator to graph the function.
Whatever the newest standard Casio model is. Don't bother going for a graphical calculator - they are a waste of time and money in my opinion, since you don't need them for a-level and can just use desmos whenever you're stuck, and when you get to uni and have to more complex stuff, it's generally far easier and more legible to use a computer.
****in' pick one.

You cut out a vital part of my sentence :K:

Quick Reply

Latest