The Student Room Group

Graduate entry reference

Hi guys,

I'm applying for graduate medicine in october, but i got my last degree in 2011. My old tutor still works there, but i read that if u studied more than two years ago, then you need a reference from an employer. Is this right? Is there an option to provide a character reference in addition to this?

Many thanks,
Andrew
You can only provide one reference through UCAS AFAIK and you should get it from your employer so its recent and if they call them to check anything there won't be problems
Reply 2
Original post by michrab123
You can only provide one reference through UCAS AFAIK and you should get it from your employer so its recent and if they call them to check anything there won't be problems

That makes me very nervous. My employer is a nurse but he's not mr clever 2016. Is there anything I can prime him with do you think?
Original post by acook59
Hi guys,

I'm applying for graduate medicine in october, but i got my last degree in 2011. My old tutor still works there, but i read that if u studied more than two years ago, then you need a reference from an employer. Is this right? Is there an option to provide a character reference in addition to this?

Many thanks,
Andrew

Contact the universities you're applying to. I had to supply a uni one, but I felt a workplace one was more relevant so Warwick and Leicester let me supply additional ones directly to them.
Reply 4
Original post by ForestCat
Contact the universities you're applying to. I had to supply a uni one, but I felt a workplace one was more relevant so Warwick and Leicester let me supply additional ones directly to them.

That's good to know. I don't think my MA tutor is going to give me as good a reference as I would expect from my employer - nice to know I can send both (at least to Warwick!)
Original post by Marathi
That's good to know. I don't think my MA tutor is going to give me as good a reference as I would expect from my employer - nice to know I can send both (at least to Warwick!)

It's still worth double checking though. This was three years ago now and we all know how often medicine admission processes change!
Reply 6
Interesting. Ok I'll contact them and ask. Wonder if they'd let me send a character testimonial too?

Quick Reply