The Student Room Group

Brexit: Northern towns are poor because they are not welcoming to migrants

Scroll to see replies

Yet Scotland is poor and the North is extremely non-White.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Yet Scotland is poor and the North is extremely non-White.

How did you work these two out?

Pockets yes like most places, but not overall in both cases.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JamesN88
How did you work these two out?

Pockets yes like most places, but not overall in both cases.

Scotland is poorer than England lol.
Scotland is poorer than England lol.

Slightly yes, but they aren't poor.
Reply 24
Original post by FredOrJohn
The Scottish people as well as Londoners and people from Manchester know if you want to get rich you have to be welcoming to migrants.

There is a direct link to wealth and the numbers of migrants coming to find work.

Brexit could potentially turn the whole country into a northern "waste land".

How do we go about making northern people love migrants?

Is there an answer to this?

Surely if Scotland, even its poorer towns such as Paisley, can love migrants, then why cant our northern towns?

What is going on up there? I've never been up north (apart from passing through to get to relatives in Scotland). Could someone from there tell me what is going on?

Do not be silly man.
Original post by JamesN88
Slightly yes, but they aren't poor.

They why should OP tell out voters the EU makes you rich if the only wealthy area which voted to stay is London? :rofl:
Original post by M14B
Do not be silly man.

>Manchester and Scotland
>Rich

Pick one.
They why should OP tell out voters the EU makes you rich if the only wealthy area which voted to stay is London? :rofl:

I have no idea.:smile:

I'm getting slightly worried about @FredOrJohn these days. :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)
Immigrants come to prosperous places because they are prosperous, a bunch of economic migrants turning up in Hull would not appreciably increase regional prosperity.

If OP were correct then Leeds would be poor and Bradford would not be an offensive dive.

Now i do support mass immigration of a kind so i'm not suggesting immigrants are not beneficial, just asserting that your using too broad a brush.
Original post by Rakas21
Immigrants come to prosperous places because they are prosperous, a bunch of economic migrants turning up in Hull would not appreciably increase regional prosperity.

If OP were correct then Leeds would be poor and Bradford would not be an offensive dive.

Now i do support mass immigration of a kind so i'm not suggesting immigrants are not beneficial, just asserting that your using too broad a brush.

Huh? what kind of "mass immigration" do you support? what kind aare there?
As rakas already said.

Do migrants flock to a random place and then make it rich.

Or do migrants choose to flock to rich places?

Quite obviously it's the latter.
OP is full of rubbish to be honest. The South is rich because of the velocity of money travelling outside of London. Take away the ability to print money from the banks and London would slow down.

Also there has been little to no investment in giving young people skills & trades in which they can use to manufacture products which are sought after though out the global economy.

Take a lesson from Mondragon Corporation in Spain or any Chinese factory. Giving young people a education in Engineering allows them to migrate their skills to other disciplines and eventually make products out of their own creative concepts.

Fact is the British people where robbed of their prosperity though Engineering by the Tory asset strippers and the regulation crazy Labour party. Then lets not forget the EU which kept the British people from taking risks privately due to small business being kept at bay.
The Scottish people as well as Londoners and people from Manchester know if you want to get rich you have to be welcoming to migrants.

There is a direct link to wealth and the numbers of migrants coming to find work.

Surely if Scotland, even its poorer towns such as Paisley, can love migrants, then why cant our northern towns?

What is going on up there? I've never been up north (apart from passing through to get to relatives in Scotland). Could someone from there tell me what is going on?

LMAO, tell that to Blackburners :laugh: :toofunny:
Original post by Andy98
Where do you get that from?

Although I must say that the road traffic definitely suggests more outward commuters.

http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/HTMLDocs/dvc193/#sty=true&flow=flow0&period=0&fix=E06000012&view=200,-40,630,635&tr=-14.478199699323795,-26.492332666128675&sc=1
Original post by illegaltobepoor
OP is full of rubbish to be honest. The South is rich because of the velocity of money travelling outside of London. Take away the ability to print money from the banks and London would slow down.

Also there has been little to no investment in giving young people skills & trades in which they can use to manufacture products which are sought after though out the global economy.

Take a lesson from Mondragon Corporation in Spain or any Chinese factory. Giving young people a education in Engineering allows them to migrate their skills to other disciplines and eventually make products out of their own creative concepts.

Fact is the British people where robbed of their prosperity though Engineering by the Tory asset strippers and the regulation crazy Labour party. Then lets not forget the EU which kept the British people from taking risks privately due to small business being kept at bay.

There has been NO investment In youth, just make believe schemes that do nothing .

The north has always been poorer which has been exacerbated since the decline of industry.

Scotland isn't rich and welcomes migrants so that pours water over your argument

Posted from TSR Mobile

Migrants who undercut and drive down wages in the Midlands and North. I live on the Birmingham Border and when i was 4 years old 71% of our population was White and our living standards was much better when you take into consideration the inflation and increase of bills. Now every other face is a black or brown one not to mention a lot of the white faces are Polish. We want our country back, they do not care in the south because the only thing we have got from the EU is foreigners
That's not true, these "northerners", as you have described them voted Brexit, because they have become disinfrancised from government and have been left behind by globalisation. You have obviously jumped on the whoever voted leave bandwagon, is an automatic racist, xenophobic, bigot. But let me tell you something, the older generation have been around a lot longer then most of us, they've seen it all before and are a damn sight more experienced in how the world works. When you're a little bit older you will understand where they are coming from, when you can't get a job because a migrant is prepared to work for a lower wage then you are.
Reply 38
Original post by DauntlessOne
That's not true, these "northerners", as you have described them voted Brexit, because they have become disinfrancised from government and have been left behind by globalisation. You have obviously jumped on the whoever voted leave bandwagon, is an automatic racist, xenophobic, bigot. But let me tell you something, the older generation have been around a lot longer then most of us, they've seen it all before and are a damn sight more experienced in how the world works. When you're a little bit older you will understand where they are coming from, when you can't get a job because a migrant is prepared to work for a lower wage then you are.

I work with Migrants - mainly Indian and Nigerian.
The reason I am "rich" (compared to UKIP voters) is because migrants are welcome in the IT industry in and around London.

When migrants are no longer welcome we will end up poor, like the areas that voter UKIP. There is a direct relationship to wealth and getting lots of new people coming to your area.

That is the reason why the EU is so popular in Scotland. They know the way to wealth is to be welcome to new comers , inviting, actually want them to come.

That is why this is national disaster. To many people like you have been deluded by your own isolation and small mindedness into voting BREXIT.

We are actually living in a national disaster.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by richpanda
Why are Tower Hamlets, Luton and Rotherham so poor then?

Tower Hamlets may have been super poor ten years ago but it is changing rapidly. Come on, you cannot walk through that borough without passing a new gourmet burger bar, cereal cafe with bowls of cereal more expensive than several boxes, and places where pints are like upwards of five quid. Not saying it's good or bad but gentrification has seen an influx of wealthy young professionals in Tower Hamlets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending