The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

@Matrix123 Do they look hard? :tongue:

Original post by hamza772000
@Matrix123 Do they look hard? :tongue:

No. It's all basically GCSE stuff. There are some questions on the end about transformation of functions which I don't like but I haven't had a proper look at them yet :smile:
Original post by Andy98
Wut?

Your replies - I found them funny. Don't know why though :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
@Matrix123 Oh, that's okay then, I thought they'd give you some A Level questions but obviously they haven't taught you so they wouldn't :tongue:

@Matrix123 Oh, that's okay then, I thought they'd give you some A Level questions but obviously they haven't taught you so they wouldn't :tongue:

Yeah :tongue: Well, on the back it says the workbook is meant "to cover the key algebra you need to bridge successfully from GCSE to AS Mathematics"

Posted from TSR Mobile
@Matrix123 Oh, ok, then I guess, the questions get harder as you go and the booklet's just meant to prepare you for AS Maths in September. :smile:

@Matrix123 Oh, ok, then I guess, the questions get harder as you go and the booklet's just meant to prepare you for AS Maths in September. :smile:

More or less, yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Matrix123
No. It's all basically GCSE stuff. There are some questions on the end about transformation of functions which I don't like but I haven't had a proper look at them yet :smile:

Your replies - I found them funny. Don't know why though :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh OK

As someone who just finished A2 further maths, there's a massive overlap; the only real step up is in the trigonometry if I'm honest.

@Andy98 So AS is a lot similar to GCSE? :redface:

Original post by Andy98
Oh OK

As someone who just finished A2 further maths, there's a massive overlap; the only real step up is in the trigonometry if I'm honest.

Yup :getmecoat:

Oooh, cool. So how come you said you didn't like A Level maths as much as GCSE maths? Is it the trigonometry that did it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
@Andy98 So AS is a lot similar to GCSE? :redface:

Yeah, the main difference is that you start using radians and the numbers aren't as nice. Also you start to look at more complex graphs.

Yup :getmecoat:

Oooh, cool. So how come you said you didn't like A Level maths as much as GCSE maths? Is it the trigonometry that did it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's because I like the applied maths more the pure maths - A Level maths is mostly pure but GCSE was more applied.

Original post by Andy98
Yeah, the main difference is that you start using radians and the numbers aren't as nice. Also you start to look at more complex graphs.

It's because I like the applied maths more the pure maths - A Level maths is mostly pure but GCSE was more applied.

Oh no - more complex graphs! :sigh:

I know you do :wink: really? I always thought there'd be loads of applied and hardly any pure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
@Andy98 Oh, okay thanks :smile:

What about AS Further Maths? Is that similar too? :redface:

Oh no - more complex graphs! :sigh:

I know you do :wink: really? I always thought there'd be loads of applied and hardly any pure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In AS and A2 maths you do 2 pure units and 1 applied each year.

@Andy98 Oh, okay thanks :smile:

What about AS Further Maths? Is that similar too? :redface:

Further maths includes more optional applied units, it depends which of those you do. But even the pure maths is completely different

@Andy98 Oh, ok, Thanks:biggrin:

btw, What other subjects did you do for your A Levels?

Original post by Andy98
In AS and A2 maths you do 2 pure units and 1 applied each year.

Further maths includes more optional applied units, it depends which of those you do. But even the pure maths is completely different

Ohh, right. Yeah, that would make sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same as your choices but with physics for AS :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
@Matrix123 Oh, wow! :biggrin: btw, we aren't doing AS Physics, right? They've changed A Levels now, haven't they? :redface:

@Matrix123 Oh, wow! :biggrin: btw, we aren't doing AS Physics, right? They've changed A Levels now, haven't they? :redface:

Nope - I think it's only Media, Maths and Psychology(?) that you can do to AS (what my teachers have told me anyway :tongue:) so we can't drop any of the others

Posted from TSR Mobile
@Matrix123 I didn't want to drop a subject any ways, but for the people that did, they have to choose 3 and can't do a 4th AS, as they previously could have done.........right? :tongue:

Maths, FM, Comp sci and physics to AS

Ohh, right. Yeah, that would make sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it would, I did say it after all :tongue:

Nope - I think it's only Media, Maths and Psychology(?) that you can do to AS (what my teachers have told me anyway :tongue:) so we can't drop any of the others

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct, although depending on the college you can't even drop those after AS because you wouldn't have a full study programme.

Latest