The Student Room Group

So what is this 'true university experience' which is so good?

I didn't go to uni but i'm considering it as a 26 year old mature student.
I'm also considering OU since the degree is the primary objective, no matter how it is earned.
I read a lot about missing out on the uni experience but what is that? I've visited friends and dated girls at uni and stayed in halls and student accom and all i can see i'm missing is:

- Frequent nights out. Be it bar crawls/clubs etc. All well and good but i've done a lot of that in my time already. I can see why a fresh 18 y/o would never get enough of it though.

- Sharing accom with others. Teaches you independence and seems OK if you dont mind noise, your things being moved around. People cooking when you want to cook, general distractions and untidiness. A long with chasing money from people to pay their share for internet, a group Asda delivery (seen that a few times), water bills etc.

- Bad diet and barely any money to do anything. No one is eating steak every day, in fact from what i've seen its often packet noodles, basics food, pizza etc. Plus loads of alcohol. One of my mates i even caught eating a FRIDGERAIDER SANDWICH!

- A hell of a lot of stress depending on subject. OU will be similar but there are less distractions and less emphasis on maintaining a social life with others with easier going courses.

What am i missing here?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
You've pretty much summed it up. Dont forget the massive student debt that students know they're building up, and the number of stupid things students do though.

In all honesty, 'missing out on the uni experience' is probably something to only worry about if you're an 18/19 year old going into uni who has the choice of living out or living at home.
You're missing the community aspect, it's like living in a small town where everyone knows everyone but with the added fact that everyone has similar interests and it's a lot more diverse other than age wise
Original post by ALittleLost25
I didn't go to uni but i'm considering it as a 26 year old mature student.
I'm also considering OU since the degree is the primary objective, no matter how it is earned.
I read a lot about missing out on the uni experience but what is that? I've visited friends and dated girls at uni and stayed in halls and student accom and all i can see i'm missing is:

- Frequent nights out. Be it bar crawls/clubs etc. All well and good but i've done a lot of that in my time already. I can see why a fresh 18 y/o would never get enough of it though.

- Sharing accom with others. Teaches you independence and seems OK if you dont mind noise, your things being moved around. People cooking when you want to cook, general distractions and untidiness. A long with chasing money from people to pay their share for internet, a group Asda delivery (seen that a few times), water bills etc.

- Bad diet and barely any money to do anything. No one is eating steak every day, in fact from what i've seen its often packet noodles, basics food, pizza etc. Plus loads of alcohol. One of my mates i even caught eating a FRIDGERAIDER SANDWICH!

- A hell of a lot of stress depending on subject. OU will be similar but there are less distractions and less emphasis on maintaining a social life with others with easier going courses.

What am i missing here?

-Easy access to societies-getting involved with societies, especially on committees, can help you develop skills that are invaluable when applying to grad jobs

-Easy access to libraries and academic staff

-The drinking culture at uni is massively overrated-no one cares one iota if you don't drink

-Social life dies down during exam season at every single uni, because people actually take their degrees seriously

-Living off unhealthy food the whole time is also a lie-living in self catered accommodation gives people the long desired opportunity to expand their cooking repertoire
Original post by Helloworld_95
You're missing the community aspect, it's like living in a small town where everyone knows everyone but with the added fact that everyone has similar interests and it's a lot more diverse other than age wise

How does everyone have similar interests? Would a hypnotherapist student get on with a student studying law?There are societies yea but there are other ways to meet people with the same interests as you.Add on the debt and it seems like a cop out 'holier than thou' argument students use.I have a friend in a student house with 4 others, 3 of which are on the same course and they dont get on like a house on fire. In fact there is often little niggles like who pays for toiletries and who cleans up. They made a cleaning rota that no one stuck to etc
Honestly I think you are in much better stead going to uni as a mature student than a 18 year old. I only took a year out but because I am one of the older ones in year group (October) as a 20 year old undergrad I could definitely see the difference between me, who had been there and done that, to others who had not been 18 long before September. This age difference manifests itself most clearly in your work ethic, were you are unlikely to want to "just get 40%", which is seemingly the aim of many students. I think because I needed to retake some exams I appreciate being there a bit more. This obviously Dosent apply to everyone but I think that when it does it is noticeable
No one is eating steak every day

I beg to differ.
Reply 7
Original post by hezzlington
I beg to differ.

Don't beg - it's not respectable.
Original post by Klix88
Don't beg - it's not respectable.

As long as I'm differing, the begging is acceptable.
Reply 9
Original post by hezzlington
As long as I'm differing, the begging is acceptable.

Not according to the White King.
I don't see what your point of question is? Uni is a life experience where you can choose not to go or to go.

It's the same of choosing to go abroad for a holiday. It's a different experience that you can choose to do.

You sound very flippant and condescending in aspects to what goes on at uni. Of course you generalised it. But there's so much more to it than sleepless nights of drunk behaviour and *****y flatmates.

To me, it was about submerging myself in like-minded people who loved and expressed the same enthusiasm as myself for my subject. It was to meet a lot of different people and become and know that you can have best friends even though you don't like the same music, share the same opinions. But you're best friends because you just purely enjoy each other's company. All these things I didn't find at school and so forth.

To a lot of people, uni is all about finding yourself or re-establishing your identity. To me, it's about the relationships you gain, the knowledge you learn and the lessons you live. It's defo an experience both good and bad.

If you're seeing going to uni being the end result of "being in debt" then, uni is probably not for you.
How does everyone have similar interests? Would a hypnotherapist student get on with a student studying law?There are societies yea but there are other ways to meet people with the same interests as you.Add on the debt and it seems like a cop out 'holier than thou' argument students use.I have a friend in a student house with 4 others, 3 of which are on the same course and they dont get on like a house on fire. In fact there is often little niggles like who pays for toiletries and who cleans up. They made a cleaning rota that no one stuck to etc

Mate it's pretty clear you just don't want anything to do with university other than the degree so why did you ask the question?

But yes everyone has similar interests, that hypnotherapy student and that law student may both have similar political views, do similar hobbies, come from similar backgrounds, etc.

Living with people is a heck of a lot different to being friends with people and it's completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

Quick Reply

Latest