The Student Room Group

LGBT+ Sex and Relationship Education

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andy98
Can you come up with a logical argument that doesn't depend on some deity that may not even exist?

Well, as a Christian, most of my views are formed from what I believe God has wished for us to do. So that is my only argument.
Original post by Ladbants
As a Christian, I don't think it's right to be teaching about homosexual activities, especially towards young children as it would encourage them to participate in these activities. We should instead encourage abstinence before adulthood and we should minimise the level of sex education that is taught.

So with this logic we shouldn't teach hetro sex ed in fear of people having sex before marriage? Surely when you are married you need to know how to be safe anyway. You won't stop people having sex, or gay sex, before marriage - as I've said before, so may as well make sure people know how to be safe.

Plus if god is a peaceful and all loving God he would love people whatever their sexuality, race etc. I was brought up Christian but still support LGBT. Don't use religion to mask homophobia and discrimination.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mactotaur
But God cannot objectively be proven to exist, while the existence of gay people (and over a thousand and a half different species of animal exhibiting homosexuality) can be.

Unless, of course, you have some proof that a creator has designs for us.

I don't need to give proof, you already know that God exists. You are just denying it because you are proud and refuse to humble yourself to the fact that you are not perfect and there is only one person who is perfect- Jesus Christ.
Reply 43
Original post by hoping4thebest
Well, as a Christian, most of my views are formed from what I believe God has wished for us to do. So that is my only argument.

I'm sorry but reality doesn't work like that anymore
I don't need to give proof, you already know that God exists. You are just denying it because you are proud and refuse to humble yourself to the fact that you are not perfect and there is only one person who is perfect- Jesus Christ.

There is absolutely no proof that any deity or creator god exists, therefore any argument which relies on such existing is ineffectual.
Reply 45

Perfection is the universe's biggest lie. Every person has a different idea of what perfection is, so how can something actually be considered universally perfect?

The irony is that by discriminating against LGBT people, you are not following God's peace and loving thy neighbour etc. and therefore you are not 'perfect'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just think sex ed sucks in school regardless of whether or not it addresses LGBT. Personally I think the internet is a great tool but in my school we got shown a short film about LGBT people and I think it was fairly a success.
Original post by Trapz99
I still don't feel like children should be forced to learn about sex at school, especially homosexual sex. I think parental permission should be given for these lessons. At my school, parental permission forms were given a few days before the lessons.

I don't know if it's the same in all schools, but I remember one child not being allowed to take part in sex education, as their parents wouldn't let them. However I don't think it's fair that parents' ignorance and discrimination would prevent children from such important education which could prevent them from being safe. Let's face it, in this politically correct day and age, the information shared is hardly going to be explicit, but made sensitive and appropriate.
Sex education was **** has a whole.

In year 6, our sex education was basically showing us genitals and two cartoons having sex:rofl:

In year 9 we got taught about what being gay/lesbian was but obviously at that age everyone knew what that was:rolleyes: In year 11 it was slightly better as we got taught about contraception etc... still not amazing but it was okay.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
I still don't feel like children should be forced to learn about sex at school, especially homosexual sex. I think parental permission should be given for these lessons. At my school, parental permission forms were given a few days before the lessons.

...? Learning about sex is important and definitely should be taught.
Original post by BurstingBubbles
The irony is that by discriminating against LGBT people, you are not following God's peace and loving thy neighbour etc. and therefore you are not 'perfect'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think I am discriminating against them. As their loving, equally imperfect neighbour, I feel that the most loving thing to do is to educate them about God's love for us. Since God is perfect, he has expected all of us to be perfect as well since we are created in his image. However, since we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, we are all guilty and are deserving of God's punishment. God loves us so much, however, that he came to Earth as Jesus Christ to die on the Cross and sacrifice himself on the Cross to pay for our sins. All homosexual people and all sinners (i.e. every human on Earth) needs to accept Jesus as their personal Lord and Saviour in order to receive God's grace and reconcile with God.

Teaching people about LGBT sex is not going to help them be saved. It's another step in the wrong direction, away from reconciling and receiving forgiveness from God for their sins.
Original post by Mactotaur
How far back do you want to go for non-traditional? The Greeks and Romans had gay sex which was about as close to tradition as you can get.

I don't care about what traditions the Greeks and the Romans had. This is the United Kingdom. We don't do whatever weird traditions they do on the mainland.
Original post by Ladbants
As a Christian, I don't think it's right to be teaching about homosexual activities, especially towards young children as it would encourage them to participate in these activities. We should instead encourage abstinence before adulthood and we should minimise the level of sex education that is taught.

Why? If you believe that, then that's fair enough, but you're putting people at risk by minimising the level of sex education they have. It wouldn't encourage them to do anything, but it would mean that people will at least be aware of the risks involved, and how to minimise them.
I don't think I am discriminating against them. As their loving, equally imperfect neighbour, I feel that the most loving thing to do is to educate them about God's love for us. Since God is perfect, he has expected all of us to be perfect as well since we are created in his image. However, since we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, we are all guilty and are deserving of God's punishment. God loves us so much, however, that he came to Earth as Jesus Christ to die on the Cross and sacrifice himself on the Cross to pay for our sins. All homosexual people and all sinners (i.e. every human on Earth) needs to accept Jesus as their personal Lord and Saviour in order to receive God's grace and reconcile with God.

Teaching people about LGBT sex is not going to help them be saved. It's another step in the wrong direction, away from reconciling and receiving forgiveness from God for their sins.

Amen!
Original post by Unown Uzer
I don't care about what traditions the Greeks and the Romans had. This is the United Kingdom. We don't do whatever weird traditions they do on the mainland.

The appeal to tradition is a very old fallacy. We used to lynch black people here in England, and we had a large role in the slave trade. But those traditions are somehow different?
The act of sex is meant for reproduction. Sex between those of the same sex fails to achieve this. If men were supposed to have sex with men, why don't rectums naturally lubricate, whereas vaginas do?

If God is perfect, then we can assume that his creations turn out exactly as he wants them to - if not, he's flawed in his ability to create, and therefore isn't perfect. By extension, anyone who's LGBT+ is that way because he wants them to be, and they shouldn't be penalised for something out of their control.

Of course, this is all presupposing the existence of a deity, which nobody can prove. So we should be treating it as a case of basic human decency as much as anything else; who are we to tell others who they should or shouldn't love, if no one is being hurt?

And more to the point, no matter what we do or don't teach, people will engage in the acts regardless. The least we can do is ensure that they're doing so as safely as possible.

PRSOM.
Original post by Unown Uzer
The act of sex is meant for reproduction. Sex between those of the same sex fails to achieve this. If men were supposed to have sex with men, why don't rectums naturally lubricate, whereas vaginas do?

Define 'supposed'. Humans weren't meant to fly, but we made planes. We weren't meant to cook our food, that's completely unnatural, yet we do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending