The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Last two days in my current accommodation. Moving into support housing on Wednesday and I'm kind of worried about it. I just hope it works out OK. It'll certainly take me a few weeks to settle in to it. I'll also have to give up smoking because I can't afford to smoke and pay the rent. That'll be really difficult. I've spent more of my life smoking than I have not smoking so it is a really ingrained habit now.

I'll be without the internet from the 6th to the 13th because I need to wait for BT to install it. So I'll probably be quite bored. I guess I'll be reading a lot of books in the mean time :smile:. Wish me luck with everything. I'm dreading moving all my stuff over there as I am bound to forget some useful stuff and then I'll be really stuck.
Was meant to go and see my GP first thing this morning but the receptionist called me at 8am telling me the doctor was off sick and since that appointment was to discuss my ESA medical and get evidence, my mum managed to call up ATOS and arrange my appointment to be for 27th July instead of next week so that gives me more time to get all my evidence together which is a weight off my mind. I haven't been sleeping the last few nights with anxiety and panics so hoping I might sleep ok tonight.

I've been struggling to get out my flat the last few days but my mum managed to persaude me to go into town with her so I did for a few hours and despite taking a few big panics and nearly crying a few times, I managed it :smile: I had to wait in queues, deal with crowds, nearly pass out from the bloody heat in some shops but I had a good time and it calmed me down a lot in general and hopefully that will have tired my body out for sleep later. Fingers crossed :h:
Original post by McNuggetsAhoy
Last two days in my current accommodation. Moving into support housing on Wednesday and I'm kind of worried about it. I just hope it works out OK. It'll certainly take me a few weeks to settle in to it. I'll also have to give up smoking because I can't afford to smoke and pay the rent. That'll be really difficult. I've spent more of my life smoking than I have not smoking so it is a really ingrained habit now.

I'll be without the internet from the 6th to the 13th because I need to wait for BT to install it. So I'll probably be quite bored. I guess I'll be reading a lot of books in the mean time :smile:. Wish me luck with everything. I'm dreading moving all my stuff over there as I am bound to forget some useful stuff and then I'll be really stuck.

Good luck :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I survived the thing I was at! :eek: Was very wobbly but didn't break and had a fab time. And nothing bad happened. :eek: And nobody hates me. :gasp: And they actually want me around. Like through choice. :headfire:

Best of luck!!! :jumphug:
Original post by Sabertooth
Sounds like a good plan. :smile: Maybe make a cup of coffee when you wake up and then get to work. I really hope you manage to pass, hopefully the cramming will work for you. :hugs:I get what you mean about feeling like a failure - I got an F in a summer class I took and this was the second time taking it. Mental health problems can really get in the way of studying effectively. I don't think you're an attention seeker, depression is serious and the lack of motivation and concentration that often accompanies it is bound to turn even the best student into not doing as well as they could otherwise.Good night and good luck!
A belated thanks :wink: I have no idea how it went - we'll see. Apparently that teacher had talked to my friend if she could help me as she saw I was struggling. My friend, and she might be right about it, said that even if I'd get an F for this test she'd likely still give me a D at the very least on my report card as the rest of the year I did manage to get at least Ds, but primarily C's and B's, just the last few tests that were horrible but she probably realised that that was due to other things as well. I'm just really hoping my other grades are okay as well. I'm sorry if I made it seem like your MH is not a valid reason for you failing your class, or that failing your class means you're a failure! I didn't mean it that way and weirdly enough don't think about it like that when it concerns others.SH:

Spoiler

Hope everyone is having a good day! And good night in advance everyone! :smile:
Turns out that the guy I'm dating wasn't aware of my MH problems when we were at college together. I dropped in a mention of my counselling session and he didn't seem very comfortable, so I guess it's going to be a long time before I can be open with him about everything :/
My best friend has shut me out AGAIN. He said he doesn't care about me, and doesn't want to talk to me. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so reliant on him- but he's such a great person 95% of the time. He doesn't ever realise the effect this has on me, until it's too late
Original post by sherbet_lemons7
I survived the thing I was at! :eek: Was very wobbly but didn't break and had a fab time. And nothing bad happened. :eek: And nobody hates me. :gasp: And they actually want me around. Like through choice. :headfire:

Yeyyyyy so proud

And its cos your so bloomin awesome :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Slightly weird question, has anyone found their mood has improved a lot when they cut down on internet/computer usage?

I trialled it last week and I genuinely felt a lot better.
I am anxious about my flight to Dubai tomorrow, given all the violence in Saudi Arabia that is taking place. I really hope nothing terrible will happen
My heart is doing something weird ._.

~Anon 1
Original post by Ezme39
Turns out that the guy I'm dating wasn't aware of my MH problems when we were at college together. I dropped in a mention of my counselling session and he didn't seem very comfortable, so I guess it's going to be a long time before I can be open with him about everything :/
My best friend has shut me out AGAIN. He said he doesn't care about me, and doesn't want to talk to me. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so reliant on him- but he's such a great person 95% of the time. He doesn't ever realise the effect this has on me, until it's too late

Happens. It's rotten, but at the end of the day, what can you do. My coping mechanism for that sort of thing just makes things worse and that's something I need to change. If you need to vent out frustration on this sort of thing, drop me a PM, I'm happy to talk through this kind of thing :smile:
Original post by Sabertooth
I feel so angry at myself. I was stupid enough to think that I could make something of myself; I dared to dream once more and wanted to achieve something.

If it wasn't for my spouse I'd probably be homeless living on the streets. I owe her so much and would love to make her proud of me, but, once again, I have failed.

Don't be so hard on yourself you have a condition that means that you have some limitations/difficulties but the way you talk on here is always fine so you're clearly able in many ways.

And that's the thing having mental health problems has devastating effects on people's lives and it's really sad to see when those things do happen but count yourself lucky that you have what you have don't worry :hugs:

I feel like you might be quite good as an advisor on the telephone or something like that where you can put your skills you practice on here to good use but as a paid job instead...
The last week or so has actually been amazing. Like, I was really happy. But then one thing happens and it just dips - like the stock markets after BREXIT :lol:

:getmecoat:
did i break a rule with my last post?
What's up? I'm in the same boat. Every time I try something new I end up failing and the last 4 or 5 years is just a long list of failures on my part. I'm sure you can't be any worse than I am :smile:. I went to University twice and ended up dropping out both times due to mental health.

Just try and take every day one by one and you'll slowly get through this difficult situation.

Hey Nuggets,

Like you I also dropped out of university twice, because of my mental health too. I keep trying new things and I keep failing. Not only university but pretty much everything I try.

Just realized you said you'll have no internet for a while. I hope your move goes well and you settle in ok. :smile:
Original post by lettherebedrums

Please read the OP post on the rules for this thread if you're unsure about what to post. :h: :hugs:
Original post by lettherebedrums

It was moved to the Peer Support Volunteer forum that's all :smile:
I hate raised voices.
I hate the word 'triggering' because of all them stupid meme things but honestly i find that they seem even louder than they actually are and it causes anxiety :redface:

~Anon 1
Original post by Deyesy
It was moved to the Peer Support Volunteer forum that's all :smile:

thanks what does that mean?

Latest