The Student Room Group

Bremainers are almost guilty of treason

Scroll to see replies

Original post by welshiee
I was talking about democracy.

:facepalm2:

You're going to have to be more specific, considering not all forms of democracy are the same. As it happens, referendums are one of the worst.
Original post by StrangeBanana
You're going to have to be more specific, considering not all forms of democracy are the same. As it happens, referendums are one of the worst.

In your opinion. The fact is, the democratic process was followed and now those who voted remain wish to throw out the decision.
In your opinion. The fact is, the democratic process was followed and now those who voted remain wish to throw out the decision.

Do you think referendums are better than parliament? Why not decide everything via referendum, then? Why is there no country on Earth that operates that way?

No: a democratic process was followed. The established democratic process of letting parliament vote on it was bypassed by Cameron, pandering to eurosceptic Tory MPs and UKIP voters.
Do you think referendums are better than parliament? Why not decide everything via referendum, then? Why is there no country on Earth that operates that way?

No: a democratic process was followed. The established democratic process of letting parliament vote on it was bypassed by Cameron, pandering to eurosceptic Tory MPs and UKIP voters.

And yet a decision was made. The fact of the matter is a democratic process was followed and it should be respected. You would not be peddling this nonsense had we voted to remain. That much is a certainty.
And yet a decision was made. The fact of the matter is a democratic process was followed and it should be respected. You would not be peddling this nonsense had we voted to remain. That much is a certainty.

I'll answer the question you conveniently ignored for you: because people are by and large uninformed, and can't be trusted when it comes to important decisions. Doesn't sound very nice, but it's the truth. This is why Parliament exists.

I don't consider the opinion of 52% of the population something worth respecting, especially after months of barefaced lies and misinformation from Farage and Boris. In 2001, 57% of Americans opposed same-sex marriage. Was that worth respecting?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'll answer the question you conveniently ignored for you: because people are by and large uninformed, and can't be trusted when it comes to important decisions. Doesn't sound very nice, but it's the truth. This is why Parliament exists.

I did not ignore it. I simply think you are trying to pick holes in something like a spoilt and petulant child because you did not get what you wanted. This is the real world where the people have spoken and a decision has been made. This is not aisle 13 of the local Waitrose where you can stomp your feet and your mother gives into your wants to stop you from crying.

I don't consider the opinion of 52% of the population something worth respecting

Nice to see that you have complete contempt for a majority decision in a referendum on such a serious issue.

especially after months of barefaced lies and misinformation from Farage and Boris.

Yes, and the remain side also lied through their teeth as well. Do not pretend it occurred on one side only. The entire campaign was embarrassing from start to finish.

In 2001, 57% of Americans opposed same-sex marriage. Is that worth respecting?

Incomparable as it was not the result of a referendum. Also, how many people partook in those opinion polls? I doubt it was over 30 million people. The mandate is completely different and you know it. If you dislike referendums the only person you have to blame is Cameron for giving one in the first place, nobody else.

Again, and I reiterate, you would not be complaining if the result went your way.

Furthermore, this conversation can be considered as done. Why? Well if you do not see the opinion of 52% of those who voted as something worth respecting, why the **** should I see your opinion as anything worth respecting? You aren't even 0.1% so your opinion is vehemently less important than the 52% you wish to ignore.
I did not ignore it. I simply think you are trying to pick holes in something like a spoilt and petulant child because you did not get what you wanted. This is the real world where the people have spoken and a decision has been made. This is not aisle 13 of the local Waitrose where you can stomp your feet and your mother gives into your wants to stop you from crying.

"kek"

Nice to see that you have complete contempt for a majority decision in a referendum on such a serious issue.

Thank you.

Yes, and the remain side also lied through their teeth as well. Do not pretend it occurred on one side only. The entire campaign was embarrassing from start to finish.

Can you give me an example of the remain campaign lying through their teeth?

Incomparable as it was not the result of a referendum. Also, how many people partook in those opinion polls? I doubt it was over 30 million people. The mandate is completely different and you know it. If you dislike referendums the only person you have to blame is Cameron for giving one in the first place, nobody else.

You think people would have suddenly changed their minds if there had been a referendum? Come off it. It doesn't need to be 30 million people, that's how samples work. I do blame Cameron.

Again, and I reiterate, you would not be complaining if the result went your way.

Probably not, no. But if it had, and the Leave side had demanded Parliament disregard the people and vote how they were intending to before the referendum, Remain would have won by a landslide. So it wouldn't have mattered to me. :smile:

Furthermore, this conversation can be considered as done. Why? Well if you do not see the opinion of 52% of those who voted as something worth respecting, why the **** should I see your opinion as anything worth respecting? You aren't even 0.1% so your opinion is vehemently less important than the 52% you wish to ignore.

Aw, diddums, he's getting upset because someone disagrees with him.

Honestly, you have the audacity to call me a child and then write drivel like this - it's astonishing. As an aside, I don't think you understand what "vehemently" means.
Original post by floury
I've done plenty of research. The EU is seeking to create a New World Order where Europeans are subjugated (particularly the British) to right the 'wrongs' of the past.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The second you said "New World Order" you lost what little credibility you had. Whilst no one cares about your opinions and frankly if you were worth listening to you wouldn't be using TSR as a platform to spout your anti-EU propaganda.

In response to the thread itself I agree to the extent that I believe people shouldn't stop the Brexit, the decision is the result of a genuine demoncratic process even if the Leave campaign was deceptive and obfuscatory (not saying that the Remain camp wasn't to some extent).

I think that you might have become a little disillusioned with what leaving the EU will mean. Ignoring the lily-livered comment which is hilarious, Britain does run itself and putting words in Remainers' mouths to fuel your own argument does you no good; no one believes the UK cannot run itself and it seems that almost everyone Leave or Remain shares the opinion that they would rather the UK has control over 100% of its' laws rather than the 90%. Ignore what we gave the world hundreds of years ago, that's like saying the UK is a great country because we colonised half the world, it happened so long ago and we are not that country anymore. Your romanticised view of the UK being this flagship model nation only narrows your mind.
Reply 28

The freedom to write to your MP, to protest and to exercise your right to free speech are essential components of a healthy democracy.
"kek"

As expected, childishness. I guess the comment about you throwing a fit about sweets in Waitrose was close to the mark then.

Thank you.

It was not a compliment.

Can you give me an example of the remain campaign lying through their teeth?

Still waiting for the impending apocalypse.........The irony is that most adults on Reddit who are also partaking in a similar discussion are happy to agree both campaigns lied. Its only on here where the children wreak havoc that tribalism and pettiness means that truth will not come to the fore of any discussion on the topic.

You think people would have suddenly changed their minds if there had been a referendum? Come off it. It doesn't need to be 30 million people, that's how samples work. I do blame Cameron.

As requested previously, something you have ignored, can you tell me how many people partook in the opinion poll? What was the sample size?

Probably not, no. But if it had, and the Leave side had demanded Parliament disregard the people and vote how they were intending to before the referendum, Remain would have won by a landslide. So it wouldn't have mattered to me. :smile:

Yes, nice to see that your view of democracy is distorted to the point you have contempt for it.

Aw, diddums, he's getting upset because someone disagrees with him.

I'm not upset. I just know that you're a hypocrite. You like democracy when it goes your way, and you show petulance, childlike immaturity and contempt for it when it doesn't.

Honestly, you have the audacity to call me a child and then write drivel like this - it's astonishing.

Aren't you the one crying because you didn't get what you wanted like a petulant 3 year old child?

As an aside, I don't think you understand what "vehemently" means.

I know what it means. Thanks for the concern though.
Original post by offhegoes
The freedom to write to your MP, to protest and to exercise your right to free speech are essential components of a healthy democracy.

Yes, and MP's have the freedom to disregard those calls and lambast those protests.
Reply 31
Yes, and MP's have the freedom to disregard those calls and lambast those protests.

Of course they do. And we have the right to elect a different MP at the next election.

You and OP, of course, have the right to have a moan about it on here.

It's all good. Apart from Brexit. That is bad :wink:
Reply 32
Original post by Davij038
Listening to David Icke doesn't count I'm afraid.

I'm sure that your ****-master (Jean-Claude Junker) would agree :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by geolowiser
The second you said "New World Order" you lost what little credibility you had. Whilst no one cares about your opinions and frankly if you were worth listening to you wouldn't be using TSR as a platform to spout your anti-EU propaganda.

In response to the thread itself I agree to the extent that I believe people shouldn't stop the Brexit, the decision is the result of a genuine demoncratic process even if the Leave campaign was deceptive and obfuscatory (not saying that the Remain camp wasn't to some extent).

I think that you might have become a little disillusioned with what leaving the EU will mean. Ignoring the lily-livered comment which is hilarious, Britain does run itself and putting words in Remainers' mouths to fuel your own argument does you no good; no one believes the UK cannot run itself and it seems that almost everyone Leave or Remain shares the opinion that they would rather the UK has control over 100% of its' laws rather than the 90%. Ignore what we gave the world hundreds of years ago, that's like saying the UK is a great country because we colonised half the world, it happened so long ago and we are not that country anymore. Your romanticised view of the UK being this flagship model nation only narrows your mind.

You are simply a New World Orderist. Please don't listen to him people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But listening to pissed up bureaucrats with a disgusting track record in politics does?

Personally I would regard Juncker as more credible than a man who thinks the queen is a lizard bit hey ho,

I think that so many brexit golf engage in this sort of conspiracy despite being proved wrong time and time again really is an indicator that they shouldn't really be taken seriously.
Welshie and floury trying to out do one another in which can melt down harder
Jeez, everyone, chill out for a second
"With a strong currency that remained robust after the vote"

What did you expect? Procedures haven't even begun yet :rofl:
Original post by floury
We gave the world parliamentary democracy. The people who want to bring us down by keeping us in the EU are guilty of treason in my opinion.

Even the Queen wanted us to leave!

On the subject of EU related treason, the following is worth a read:

http://www.eutruth.org.uk/traitors.html
Original post by Davij038
Personally I would regard Juncker as more credible than a man who thinks the queen is a lizard bit hey ho,

I wouldn't take any of them seriously. Neither of them are capable of rational or logical thought and both go on ideological and emotionally driven ramblings that would lead most sane people to backing away from them in any social encounter.

I think that so many brexit golf engage in this sort of conspiracy despite being proved wrong time and time again really is an indicator that they shouldn't really be taken seriously.

Do you have any evidence for such a ridiculous assertion? Come on, you usually come out with decent posts. You're better than this nonsense.

Quick Reply

Latest