The Student Room Group

Do you class buying expensive clothes as rubbish

Like if you spend £100 on jeans, jackets for £150 etc mum says I waste my money on foolishness what do you guys think

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by struggler07
Like if you spend £100 on jeans, jackets for £150 etc mum says I waste my money on foolishness what do you guys think

I personally wouldn't spend £100 on jeans, I think it's a bit much. But then again everybody's different, some people like splashing out on designer gear. It really depends, if you plan on making good use out of them and they're of a good quality and material I think it's fine occasionally especially if you're earning enough to afford it.
I personally wouldn't spend that much, but I spend too much on makeup so I guess that's just as bad, if not worse. At the end of the day, it's your money, spend it on what makes you happy :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't personally spend that much, but if you're happy with what you're spending it on then I wouldn't have any objections. It's your money anyway, no one can tell you what to do with it!😝
All relative. I wouldn't pay Macbook prices in a million years but I like a nice polo shirt.

it all depends on can you afford it
I mean I have a Versace suit and am looking to buy a Gucci one for about £1,500
and i have a £500 buffalo leather jacket
but i can afford it i make £1,000 a week every week, even more at the moment thanks to Brexit and a few commissions headed my way

Spoiler

The most expensive thing I own is my £50 leather jacket,anything else is primark new look or was in a sale somewhere else. I really try to control my clothing spending.
Foolish.
Spending £100+ on some shirt with the word Superdry on them Is stupid. but sometimes quality stuff is for a high price, I got a ski jacket from a friend that costed over £300 and it is the warmest thing ever even when I went to Germany and it was so cold I was boiling.

Depends what you are buying and what quality it is.

Well yeah because you dont need £100 + for a shirt and jeans.

0-50£ is enough for 1 each, infact I have brought really nice shirts for £15

£100+ on sneakers isnt foolish tho, aslong as you arent struggling financially
The things I spend most on are clothes, food, and guitars/amps. It's all proportional, if someone earning 50k a year were to buy a Belstaff jacket and a new pair of Loakes once a month I would consider that perfectly normal because I buy roughly one guitar a year which are usually 2k+ each, plus very expensive clothing and I spent about 100 a week on food roughly. However, 5 years ago when I was earning half that amount I wouldn't have dreamed of spending so much and would consider my spending habits now a huge waste of money. After your existing outgoings, ignoring anything you don't need (such as eating out, designer clothes vs GAP, starbucks instead of making coffee in a thermos etc), figure out how much disposable income you have, remove however much you want to save per month, and whatever is left is what you have to spend on things which make you happy.

I take pride in knowing I am wearing great quality clothes that look and feel good, not to say I am ashamed of wearing cheap stuff, it's just nicer. Set your priorities in order and enjoy what disposable income you have.

One last thing to consider, is that your mum likely has a mortgage, has a kid(s) to look after, likely pays your phone bill and supports you too, so for her she would definitely considering that unnecessary spending as per priorities are different.
Depends on how long you'll have it for. Some clothes like jeans are worth it. I'd rather have a good pair than a cheap one that fades after 2 washes and looses its stretch after a couple of wears. But would not spend more than £50.
Reply 11
The most expensive clothing item I own is my motorcycle jacket for £150. You can't be cheap on protection.

But £100 for a pair of jeans? I'd rather have a pair for a tenner that I can actually wash :smile:
I don't really see the point in buying expensive clothes for myself because I will probably spill something on it and ruin it the first time I wear it. Also I'm still growing (I really hope) so I don't see the point in buying expensive clothes to wear for less than a year before I'm too big for them. Besides I'm perfectly happy with my cheap clothes. I don't think I've ever owned a piece of branded clothing.
I'd pay that type of money for shoes because you can always tell a nice pair of shoes. Never on clothes tho, all jeans look the same to me so even paying £30 for a pair hurts my soul. Same with shirts and other such stuff, no point in spending large amounts on it when it won't look/feel any appreciable amount better
Reply 14
Whoops, double post.
Money is relative I guess.

To someone who's wealthy, spending £100 might seem reasonable. On the other hand to someone who is poorer, spending £100 on jeans might been very expensive and unreasonable.

Given that most people here are students and don't have jobs / stable source of income I'd say the consensus will be the latter.

That said, the most i've ever spent on jeans was £135. It wasn't my best purchase, if I had the chance to go back and buy them, I wouldn't buy them lol. Such a waste :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't see the problem tbh, my more expensive jeans (£100+) are of a lot better quality therefore have better shelf life, don't have to constantly worry if they're going to rip, wash badly etc. If you're not spending literally all your money on them I don't see the problem tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trust me the quality a really good on gstar jeans they cost like £120 The fits really good
Designer clothes make me happy 😀, I feel like superman with my true religion jeans 😎
That's true but sometimes. I got to save 👌🏿

Quick Reply

Latest