The Student Room Group

Dad now won't pay for school fees

As the title suggests, I'm supposed to go (emphasis on the 'supposed') to a new school in September. I had done the entrance exam and interview and had received an offer. I had fallen in love with the place, and seemed like a haven compared to the school I've just left (where I was bullied and isolated... by my own ex-friends.) Everything was going great until my dad decided he didn't want to pay. *Apparently* he's injured himself and can't work as much... even though he's loaded (just incredibly stingy -- he makes more than a doctor for gods sake.) He keeps claiming it's a 'rip-off' all of a sudden and that it's a "crap" school, even though they send 20-30 people to Oxbridge. Well, I now probably can't go... and don't even have any schools to go to. Even if I did, none of them appeal to me. Jesus, you know your life's ****ed when you're literally relying on bloody scratch cards lmfao.
I made a question the other day about bursaries, and we checked with the school -- and they couldn't give any. This is so unfair. My dad would always say he could afford it and that it was alright. My mum was even considering trying to get some money out of my dad (they have separate money, and she does not have a job) but I doubt that would work. Any ideas on what I do now??? Suicide's always an option. Maybe a job? I can't earn thousands of pounds from a small part time job. Sorry this was long, but I've never felt this *****y before - any advice would help.
Have you spoken to your dad about how you feel about this?

Original post by laura5746352
As the title suggests, I'm supposed to go (emphasis on the 'supposed':wink: to a new school in September. I had done the entrance exam and interview and had received an offer. I had fallen in love with the place, and seemed like a haven compared to the school I've just left (where I was bullied and isolated... by my own ex-friends.) Everything was going great until my dad decided he didn't want to pay. *Apparently* he's injured himself and can't work as much... even though he's loaded (just incredibly stingy -- he makes more than a doctor for gods sake.) He keeps claiming it's a 'rip-off' all of a sudden and that it's a "crap" school, even though they send 20-30 people to Oxbridge. Well, I now probably can't go... and don't even have any schools to go to. Even if I did, none of them appeal to me. Jesus, you know your life's ****ed when you're literally relying on bloody scratch cards lmfao.
I made a question the other day about bursaries, and we checked with the school -- and they couldn't give any. This is so unfair. My dad would always say he could afford it and that it was alright. My mum was even considering trying to get some money out of my dad (they have separate money, and she does not have a job) but I doubt that would work. Any ideas on what I do now??? Suicide's always an option. Maybe a job? I can't earn thousands of pounds from a small part time job. Sorry this was long, but I've never felt this *****y before - any advice would help.
Original post by laura5746352
As the title suggests, I'm supposed to go (emphasis on the 'supposed':wink: to a new school in September. I had done the entrance exam and interview and had received an offer. I had fallen in love with the place, and seemed like a haven compared to the school I've just left (where I was bullied and isolated... by my own ex-friends.) Everything was going great until my dad decided he didn't want to pay. *Apparently* he's injured himself and can't work as much... even though he's loaded (just incredibly stingy -- he makes more than a doctor for gods sake.) He keeps claiming it's a 'rip-off' all of a sudden and that it's a "crap" school, even though they send 20-30 people to Oxbridge. Well, I now probably can't go... and don't even have any schools to go to. Even if I did, none of them appeal to me. Jesus, you know your life's ****ed when you're literally relying on bloody scratch cards lmfao.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but you are not entitled to a private education just because your father theoretically has the money to pay for it. You will sound like a spoilt manipulative brat if you threaten suicide. No job you can get as a teenager would pay you the thousands needed to pay private school fees.
He doesn't want to pay for it, then I'm sorry you can't go. Ring up around other state schools in your area and see if they have any places. They're really not that bad and if you're bound to do well, you will do well.

Don't think about suicide, it's not worth doing something permanently damaging over something fairly trivial
I went to a private secondary school. Trust me when I say this, they aren't that great. Everyone there is spoilt and you say you want to escape the bullying- but it's the same everywhere. People think private schools are amazing but everyone's a brat and the teachers don't give a s*** as they are never going to lose their jobs. Literally there were only 3 decent teachers in the entire school. If you're smart you'll do well anywhere, without paying for it.
Good thing I'm escaping to go to college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Knew a few people from uni that went to private school. All didn't perform that great because they felt a little entitled and pissed away their time. Whereas the pubs like myself, worked their ass off to be able to achieve something unheard of in their family.

Don't throw a strop, it's not the end of the world, there are other schools out there that don't charge obscene prices and are excellent institutions. They may even teach you to be humble.

Quick Reply

Latest