The Student Room Group

Brexit: Northern towns are poor because they are not welcoming to migrants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DauntlessOne
That's not true, these "northerners", as you have described them voted Brexit, because they have become disinfrancised from government and have been left behind by globalisation. You have obviously jumped on the whoever voted leave bandwagon, is an automatic racist, xenophobic, bigot. But let me tell you something, the older generation have been around a lot longer then most of us, they've seen it all before and are a damn sight more experienced in how the world works. When you're a little bit older you will understand where they are coming from, when you can't get a job because a migrant is prepared to work for a lower wage then you are.

If a migrant is working at a lower wage that means your work isn't that valuable.*
Original post by NerradCFCB
Migrants who undercut and drive down wages in the Midlands and North. I live on the Birmingham Border and when i was 4 years old 71% of our population was White and our living standards was much better when you take into consideration the inflation and increase of bills. Now every other face is a black or brown one not to mention a lot of the white faces are Polish. We want our country back, they do not care in the south because the only thing we have got from the EU is foreigners

Well, you are going to be poor anyway, so it doesn't make a difference what migrants do.*
Original post by FredOrJohn
The Scottish people as well as Londoners and people from Manchester know if you want to get rich you have to be welcoming to migrants.

Source?
Poverty in the north is due to lack of investment and the Uk switching from manufacturing to services. The migrants go to London because it has jobs and higher salaries. They cna send that money home.
Original post by 999tigger
Poverty in the north is due to lack of investment and the Uk switching from manufacturing to services. The migrants go to London because it has jobs and higher salaries. They cna send that money home.

Yeh and when the UK leaves the EU, there will be even less investment.*

Well, they voted to leave!
Reply 45
The Scottish people as well as Londoners and people from Manchester know if you want to get rich you have to be welcoming to migrants.

There is a direct link to wealth and the numbers of migrants coming to find work.

Brexit could potentially turn the whole country into a northern "waste land".

How do we go about making northern people love migrants?

Is there an answer to this?

Surely if Scotland, even its poorer towns such as Paisley, can love migrants, then why cant our northern towns?

What is going on up there? I've never been up north (apart from passing through to get to relatives in Scotland). Could someone from there tell me what is going on?

This should clear things up.

I work with Migrants - mainly Indian and Nigerian.
The reason I am "rich" (compared to UKIP voters) is because migrants are welcome in the IT industry in and around London.

When migrants are no longer welcome we will end up poor, like the areas that voter UKIP. There is a direct relationship to wealth and getting lots of new people coming to your area.

That is the reason why the EU is so popular in Scotland. They know the way to wealth is to be welcome to new comers , inviting, actually want them to come.

That is why this is national disaster. To many people like you have been deluded by your own isolation and small mindedness into voting BREXIT.

We are actually living in a national disaster.

Already answered your bigoted post on another of your threads to show how stupid it was yet you ran away from replying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a direct link to wealth and the numbers of migrants coming to find work.

What research have you got for this?

Yet again not convinced by your arguments at all. Just sounds like more brexit butthurt.

I dont think asylum seekers bring much wealth with them. You know the ones that get dumped in the north becayse its cheaper.

Its also a chicken and egg situation. the migrants arent bring the wealth, but are attracted to the opportunities and jovs i.e London and the SE, just like everyone else. That in istelf helps focus propserity in the SE rather than spreading out faster to the rest of the country.
Reply 48
I think it's because people in some Northern towns aren't that wealthy so they take their anger out on foreigners. Like foreigners taking their jobs when in fact there are better skilled migrants working in the NHS and in IT.
Then you have towns like Rotherham close to where I live where most industry have closed down over the years, and they see the wealth in London and then get angry at the lack of opportunities in their Town and how the only exciting thing opening in town are Poundland stores. This compared to the 60s when the South Yorkshire region (Sheffield, Rotherham) area was famous for making steel around the world and at that time have seen immigration from former commonwealth countries to work in the steel industry at that time.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scots are no more welcoming to migrants than English people, we just don't really consider immigration a problem because we have so little of it.

Surely if Scotland, even its poorer towns such as Paisley, can love migrants, then why cant our northern towns?

Trust me, I'm from Paisley and it does not 'love' migrants. Migrants go to Paisley because housing is cheap there and it's close to Glasgow, Britain's 4th largest city, not because it's any more welcoming than an English town would be.

What is going on up there? I've never been up north (apart from passing through to get to relatives in Scotland). Could someone from there tell me what is going on?

It's not just the North, it's all rural areas in England except for the Home Counties, and some urban areas outside the North, including Birmingham. They voted Leave because there are barely any jobs in such places and the economic recovery is not being felt there, and they partially blame this on an influx of immigrants.
Original post by DorianGrayism
If a migrant is working at a lower wage that means your work isn't that valuable.*

Or maybe it's because the employer wants to make savings on wages, so hires a lower qualified cheaper employee. Why do you think the Tories were so terrified that we would leave the EU? Because they would and now are losing a ton of money. The Tory party are more businessmen then politicians.
Or maybe it's because the employer wants to make savings on wages, so hires a lower qualified cheaper employee. Why do you think the Tories were so terrified that we would leave the EU? Because they would and now are losing a ton of money. The Tory party are more businessmen then politicians.

Who says lower qualified? Migrants are more likely to have degrees than Natives.*

Anyway, Poor people are either going to get paid poor wages or get paid good wages and pay for expensive goods. AKA They are going to be poor regardless of whether migrants are here or not.
I work with Migrants - mainly Indian and Nigerian.
The reason I am "rich" (compared to UKIP voters) is because migrants are welcome in the IT industry in and around London.

When migrants are no longer welcome we will end up poor, like the areas that voter UKIP. There is a direct relationship to wealth and getting lots of new people coming to your area.

That is the reason why the EU is so popular in Scotland. They know the way to wealth is to be welcome to new comers , inviting, actually want them to come.

That is why this is national disaster. To many people like you have been deluded by your own isolation and small mindedness into voting BREXIT.

We are actually living in a national disaster.

Letting in ALL that migration is right it is going to make the people wealthy.... About 5% of them. Only the business types benefit from mass migration, not the public, that's why we have Brexit.
Yeh and when the UK leaves the EU, there will be even less investment.*

Well, they voted to leave!

You have a single market and then you have a global market, if you was truly an optimistic, go-getter you would have more faith in what's to come, which is an endless amount of possibilities and future investments. Because after all, one door closes another door opens. So stop *****ing and moaning about Brexit and pull yourself together, same with the rest of you defeatists.
You have a single market and then you have a global market, if you was truly an optimistic, go-getter you would have more faith in what's to come, which is an endless amount of possibilities and future investments. Because after all, one door closes another door opens. So stop *****ing and moaning about Brexit and pull yourself together, same with the rest of you defeatists.

Hahahahaha...

I love how you ignore facts and just come up with some general garbage.

Mate, it makes no difference to my job. I can get a job anywhere I want. *
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by paul514
Already answered your bigoted post on another of your threads to show how stupid it was yet you ran away from replying.

Hmmppf, I doubt he's even "rich", probably just BS, how can we take his word seriously? We don't even know the person.
Original post by Copperknickers
Scots are no more welcoming to migrants than English people, we just don't really consider immigration a problem because we have so little of it.

Trust me, I'm from Paisley and it does not 'love' migrants. Migrants go to Paisley because housing is cheap there and it's close to Glasgow, Britain's 4th largest city, not because it's any more welcoming than an English town would be.

It's not just the North, it's all rural areas in England except for the Home Counties, and some urban areas outside the North, including Birmingham. They voted Leave because there are barely any jobs in such places and the economic recovery is not being felt there, and they partially blame this on an influx of immigrants.

Immigrants, immigrants, immigrants, that's all I ever hear the remain voters brand leave voters with. There are a ton of different reasons people, even the rich, voted leave. One such reason and I could give you a dozen more is, the fact that the European Union is run by a group of unelected, undemocratic beauracrats consistently interfering in over countries business and that's not just towards the UK either. The European Union started as a trade arrangement and now it's turned into a political superstate, governed by Brussels and its unelected beauracrats, determined to bring, as they put it "ever closer union", into a quite frankly deteriorating organisation, of 27 other countries each pulling in the opposite direction to one another. If you really want your country to remain in this mess, then you need a SERIOUS reality check. No offence intended.
Who says lower qualified? Migrants are more likely to have degrees than Natives.*

What? Eastern European turnip farmers, former Soviet Union countries, with an impoverished, disadvantaged social system have more qualifications then me or you, or the greater United Kingdom? Seriously really think about what you are going to say before you say it, you'll look competent for it.
Hahahahaha...

I love how you ignore facts and just come up with some general garbage.

Mate, it makes no difference to my job. I can get a job anywhere I want. *

Yeah your right, you can. Oh by the way don't forget your hair net for the graveyard shift at McDonalds and I'm not your mate.
Yeah your right, you can. Oh by the way don't forget your hair net for the graveyard shift at McDonalds and I'm not your mate.

hahahah...alright mate. *It isn't my issue that you don't like facts.*

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0deacb52-178b-11e6-9d98-00386a18e39d.html#axzz4DZ6Wy8kI

EU migrants more likely to have degrees. *

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending