The Student Room Group

YouTubers TmarTn and Syndicate caught shilling their own CS:GO gambling site

Popular youtubers Trevor “TmarTn” Martin and Tom “Syndicate” Cassel
(with a combined subscriber base of 10 million) have been exposed promoting their CS:GO gambling website to their predominantly underage audience, without disclosing that they operated it.

In a lengthy video entitled “Deception, Lies, and CSGO,” h3h3Productions dug even deeper revealing many instances of Martin and Cassell allegedly rigging their site to win virtual weapons worth thousands of dollars while streaming in order to encourage followers as young as 13 to gamble.

[video="youtube;_8fU2QG-lV0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8fU2QG-lV0[/video]

Video Game Attorney Ryan Morrison has confirmed that the actions of Martin and Cassell were illegal and have been reported to the FTC, which could potentially lead to jail time.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

H3H3 Exposing Youtubers again haha
Omg. The part where the Youtuber was like "oh guys I'm sponsoring this site and I just won $70 and it's the best feeling ever!"... And he ****ing owns the site.

I think it's absolutely disgraceful if they get away with this to be honest.
It is shocking how authorities are not aware of the game gambling sites blatantly aimed at children
Original post by TelAviv
It is shocking how authorities are not aware of the game gambling sites blatantly aimed at children
It's a bit of a legal grey area as they're technically not gambling with money but with virtual items with monetary value. There's actually been a class action lawsuit filed against the game's developer Valve weeks ago for facilitating the gambling.
Haha Terry Tibbs.
Original post by champ_mc99
Haha Terry Tibbs.
Tawk to me
Reply 7
Original post by TelAviv

Original post by Terry Tibbs
It's a bit of a legal grey area as they're technically not gambling with money but with virtual items with monetary value. There's actually been a class action lawsuit filed against the game's developer Valve weeks ago for facilitating the gambling.

This ^

It's true that Valve was sued a few weeks ago but the problem is that Valve has stressed (from what I have seen) that CSGO Skins do not have any monetary value. From this alone I am assuming that Valve would have little trouble winning the case but the fact that Valve enabled CSGO gambling sites to link their Steam accounts is a problem. It could be seen as promoting and accepting gambling within the community.

I personally find it outrageous that skins can be sold for (max) $4000! I tend to buy the odd COD camo for £1-£3 and that's the maximum I will pay.

I've seen my YT Timeline being filled with CSGO Gambling video (some actively trying to promote and encourage viewers to gamble - see TmaTn clickbait title) from the likes of FaZe Rain, Adapt etc. and it's known that many FaZe fanboys (that's the term I'm using because many subs worship the FaZe Clan like gods) are usually children around 12/13. I've seen videos where Rain has even claimed to spend 1000s of $ gambling. This can lead to younger viewers also taking their parent's credit cards and gambling money away because their favourite ytber is doing it. It can also be argued that these parents are being irresponsible and it's their job to check what their kid is watching/playing. I'm pretty sure that CSGO has an age rating of 18. From a young age, I would have never dared to take something from my parents' wallets without them knowing (I wouldn't even take £10, let alone $4000 to gamble!).

I don't even see the appeal of watching some nonce opening crates and gambling. I have other things to do tbh. It's one of the reason why I stopped watching the FaZe Clan vids and big Youtubers in general because of the shady **** that many big names are doing and drama in general. Then again, maybe I'm just biased due to the direction that FaZe is taking, from trickshotting to *****y vlogs on their segways.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol.*

I don't know who they are.

But they are going to get absolutely screwed. They are really dumb for thinking that they wouldn't get caught. The Feds love cases like this.*

TotalBiscuit's rant about it pretty much sums up how I feel, even though I don't care anywhere near as much.
Didn't expect Syndicate to do stuff like this- he seemed like such a nice, honest guy from his old minecraft vids
"I just happened to come across this site"
Get ****ing rekt you scum.

I hope these two both get jail.

To be honest I find it entirely morally dubious anyway the fact that these two lads make soooo much money from entertaining 10-16 year olds. To an adult watching them it's literally like watching teletubbies. These guys are actually thick as ****. Yet they're millionaires. I admit. I'm very jealous. That alone doesn't seem right lol. I guess someone has to entertain tweens and teens though...

But yeah, encouraging really young kids to gamble through deception is extremely immoral. Yeah. Hope they get jail.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Get ****ing rekt you scum.

I hope these two both get jail.

To be honest I find it entirely morally dubious anyway the fact that these two lads make soooo much money from entertaining 10-16 year olds. To an adult watching them it's literally like watching teletubbies. These guys are actually thick as ****. Yet they're millionaires. I admit. I'm very jealous. That alone doesn't seem right lol. I guess someone has to entertain tweens and teens though...

But yeah, encouraging really young kids to gamble through deception is extremely immoral. Yeah. Hope they get jail.

The greed is real. Shocking a guy as financially secure as Syndicate would stoop this low to increase his revenue. Hope he pays the ultimate price.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
The greed is real. Shocking a guy as financially secure as Syndicate would stoop this low to increase his revenue. Hope he pays the ultimate price.

I know right???

It must be such a fine line when you're making so much money using the same bread and butter formula for all your videos to appease the childish, obtuse masses. Like, the guy actually has it to the book. Making absolute mint. And then he thinks this is a good idea. It's shameful.

Certainly doesn't make youtubers look very good.

Then you've got people out there providing extremely amazing, world class, novel content in music and other arts and... Absolutely no recognition at all. Having to work two jobs full time ffs... >_>
Pretty scummy thing to do, but I would be doing the exact same thing as them, just not getting caught
Csgo gambling is a fools game and since it is so easy to do and detaches you from handing over real money it can really hurt people. especially kids who have no real idea what they are doing.
I mean I was a high end csgo trader for 2 years and I made £760 but to see all the people wasting money is saddening, I know someone at my school who spent £400 on gambling in one day.
Original post by TorpidPhil
I know right???

It must be such a fine line when you're making so much money using the same bread and butter formula for all your videos to appease the childish, obtuse masses. Like, the guy actually has it to the book. Making absolute mint. And then he thinks this is a good idea. It's shameful.

Certainly doesn't make youtubers look very good.

Then you've got people out there providing extremely amazing, world class, novel content in music and other arts and... Absolutely no recognition at all. Having to work two jobs full time ffs... >_>

Hahaha you'll get there buddy :console:
Syndicates a wasteman
Reply 19
Man I am loving the YouTube drama of 2016.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply