The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joanna_p
Thank you both. I am scared. I want to take the Kaplan course. Is it good? Has any one done this ? Do they do a mock exam? What was your score before and after the course

Why are you scared. A few days ago, you replied to someone who said they were scared by saying (your words):

" I think it is OK to feel that way. We are at that cross road in life. We will do as many before us have done so. Key is to visit, see, get a feel of future life. Expectations are there in every aspect of life, whatever we do. Just give your best and the best will come to you. That is my way of thinking. Best of luck." So you can take your own advice on board.

The Kaplan course is actually pretty good. They are after all one of the most experienced companies and do not suffer from the "Everyone can be a tutor syndrome" because let's face it everyone and their dog is now pretending to be a "UKCAT" tutor.

However the main problem with courses is that I just cannot see how you can ever learn much about 4 different sections of the UKCAT in just one day. At just about 90 minutes per section it seems an utter waste of money. As such only courses which are longer (eg 2 or more days) would be worth attending but then quite pricey.

So my conclusion is that if you intend to attend a one-day course, then don't. It's a waste of bloody time. You might as well spend the money on books or online resources. Only courses which are longer than one day are worth attending if you can afford them.
Original post by nataliek98
Thanks so much and only the best for your UKCAT!
Last year I got 610 so I was expecting something similar this year. I was forming an idea of where I want to apply based on an expected low UKCAT. I really have to reconsider where I want to apply, but probably UKCAT heavies like Newcastle and Manchester!

Oh wow, that's a massive difference. Well done. Time to celebrate :smile:!
Last year I got 610 so I was expecting something similar this year. I was forming an idea of where I want to apply based on an expected low UKCAT. I really have to reconsider where I want to apply, but probably UKCAT heavies like Newcastle and Manchester!

I am applying to Birmingham, Exeter and BSMS.

Wanted to apply to newcastle but they require minimum 85 in chem for indian student and I got 83. Sad that those 2 marks have cost me heavily. All my other scores are above 90!

I do remember you from last year's thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am also considering international foundation in St andrews, Kings college london and St george London. Any idea if they are any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maninder-Al
Oh wow, that's a massive difference. Well done. Time to celebrate :smile:!

Thank you so much, the feeling is truly incredible ❤️
Original post by Anishkulkarni98
I am applying to Birmingham, Exeter and BSMS.

Wanted to apply to newcastle but they require minimum 85 in chem for indian student and I got 83. Sad that those 2 marks have cost me heavily. All my other scores are above 90!

I do remember you from last year's thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was going to say it's real nice to see a familiar face!
I am also considering international foundation in St andrews, Kings college london and St george London. Any idea if they are any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a friend who's going to St Andrew's 2016 entry and she's ecstatic about it! I know that sgul is very popular with internationals, I know a guy that goes there who went to my high school and he seems to be having the time of his life.
I have a friend who's going to St Andrew's 2016 entry and she's ecstatic about it! I know that sgul is very popular with internationals, I know a guy that goes there who went to my high school and he seems to be having the time of his life.

That's good to know considering they just need ukcat above 500 and that won't be again used for admissions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's good to know considering they just need ukcat above 500 and that won't be again used for admissions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but surely the fact they need UKCAT above 500 does not actually mean you can get in with 500, does it? If all the applicants have 700, you will be a bit at a disadvantage.
I might just get the 1000q book if i am done with medify practice questions early. Also, i am struggling with the verbal reasoning section, so do you guys have any tips? :smile:) thanks
For those that have done Medify...
I have my test in 13 days, do you think I'd gain much by just having medify for a week? I've not worked through my 1000q book yet tho. Should I work through my books and then just spend the last week practicing my timing (which is currently shocking)?
Just medify? How did u manage time?
Original post by Joanne86
For those that have done Medify...
I have my test in 13 days, do you think I'd gain much by just having medify for a week? I've not worked through my 1000q book yet tho. Should I work through my books and then just spend the last week practicing my timing (which is currently shocking)?

I would say there is no point practising your timing if you get the answers wrong. It's not good enough to do all the questions if you score zero on them. So job 1 is to make sure you understand the approach to the exercises and you can do that both on the 1000Q book and Medify, and then when you are within 5-7 days of the exam then you can accelerate the timing. It's best to do 3/4 of the questions properly, get them right and then guess the remaining 1/4, than to rush everything and score nothing, if you see what I mean.
Did the UKCAT today did pretty crap
VR 600
QR 590
AR 720

SJ Band 2
Avg: 636.
Original post by Joanna_p
I was thinking of getting this book (600 question)
Should I ?
Looks like you are not getting anywhere with it? When is your test

your right i find it too hard but i think it will be good to come back to when i have learnt the basics - then it will be useful :smile:
Original post by manya.june
600 question is not ridiculous. I have done that myself. Though 1000 question is repetitious. I wont suggest doing both. I am trying my hands on 1200 questions, after doing 600. WIll take a break and go for a course or do online stuff.

It's too hard for me at the moment. I'm going to get confident before I tackle that book again :smile: but i think it will be handy once i get to grasps with things maybe after a course. Is the 1000Q book worth it aswell?
Band 2 is acceptable isnt it? How much do we all need for entry into med school? Its not that bad.
Original post by UKCATrocks
Yeah but surely the fact they need UKCAT above 500 does not actually mean you can get in with 500, does it? If all the applicants have 700, you will be a bit at a disadvantage.

I mailed sgul and they said for the international foundation, 500 is the threshold and anyone above it will be considered for interview of they get 14/20 in the foundation year.

Also, once into FY, they won't consider ukcat again for future assessments of the application

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nisha devi
Band 2 is acceptable isnt it? How much do we all need for entry into med school? Its not that bad.

I'm pretty sure most universities don't use SJ when selecting applicants.
Original post by clairebear101
It's too hard for me at the moment. I'm going to get confident before I tackle that book again :smile: but i think it will be handy once i get to grasps with things maybe after a course. Is the 1000Q book worth it aswell?

The 1000Q is actually the new version of the 600Q book for the 2016 exam. The 1000Q book has a lot more AR practice in it than the 600Q book because it has all the new style questions as well. So if you don't need to do both. You just need to do the 1000Q

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending