The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Can a current student at kibgs please answer these questions? - in the first year I'm aware it's mostly biomedical sciences but is it lecture based? Or will there be tutorials and PBL?
- is there Anatomy in the first year? Is it prosection or dissection or both?
-Do all lectures get uploaded onto the virtual campus? Meaning missing them wouldn't be a problem?
-What are the consequences for missing registered tutorials or lab work?
-Are the exams in January of the first year mock or real exams?
- how many student selected components do we need to do each year? And how much time do we get for each one?
- in the summer holidays after the first year, would we have assignments, etc. That we would need to do over the summer? Or are we completely free from uni work?
Thank you to anyone who answers these questions.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by yoyo.sat
Can a current student at kibgs please answer these questions? - in the first year I'm aware it's mostly biomedical sciences but is it lecture based? Or will there be tutorials and PBL?
- is there Anatomy in the first year? Is it prosection or dissection or both?
-Do all lectures get uploaded onto the virtual campus? Meaning missing them wouldn't be a problem?
-What are the consequences for missing registered tutorials or lab work?
-Are the exams in January of the first year mock or real exams?
- how many student selected components do we need to do each year? And how much time do we get for each one?
- in the summer holidays after the first year, would we have assignments, etc. That we would need to do over the summer? Or are we completely free from uni work?
Thank you to anyone who answers these questions.

Hey, I may be able to answer some of your questions. Now, do bear in mind that King's is introducing a new curriculum for the upcoming students so many aspects of the course might have changed. I will nonetheless answer to the best of my ability.
- The pre-clinical side of the course will be purely lecture based with some elements of 'PBL', e.g tutorials and workshops.*
- I'm not sure how it will turn out for you guys when you come here but I'm sure you will have at least some degree of dissection? My first year consisted of mainly dissection with some incorporation of prosection.
- A lot of the lectures do get recorded on to the virtual campus. However, I do not think you should rely solely on that to study because the recording might not come on in time (or other technical problems may arise) meaning that the lecture might only be recorded partially. Some lectures are not recorded at all, so your best bet as a responsible medical student and future doctor should be to attend all the lectures. A lot of the lecturers are clinical staff and they're giving up their time to come and teach you, and I think it's good manners to do the same. Missing lectures won't be detrimental initially, but the more you miss, the more independent work and catching up you would need to do..
- I believe the staff will chase you down if you don't attend after a while. Not entirely sure on this...
- The Jan exams is known as the mid-sessional and it acts as an exam to help you see how well you're getting on. It doesn't count towards you're final grade, but it is part of the in-course assessment.
- You get quite a handful of topics to chose from for your SSC. I wouldn't really worry about it.. I think you get about 2 weeks to decide? Again, this might change for you guys..
- After your exams, you may have to complete one or two pieces of assessments, but other than that you should be free.

Hope this helps. *
Hello, well this is pretty late but I got an email from the admission team saying I got an offer and told me to contact them tomorrow. Anyone got the same email?
Original post by Medical-al
Hey, I may be able to answer some of your questions. Now, do bear in mind that King's is introducing a new curriculum for the upcoming students so many aspects of the course might have changed. I will nonetheless answer to the best of my ability.
- The pre-clinical side of the course will be purely lecture based with some elements of 'PBL', e.g tutorials and workshops.*
- I'm not sure how it will turn out for you guys when you come here but I'm sure you will have at least some degree of dissection? My first year consisted of mainly dissection with some incorporation of prosection.
- A lot of the lectures do get recorded on to the virtual campus. However, I do not think you should rely solely on that to study because the recording might not come on in time (or other technical problems may arise) meaning that the lecture might only be recorded partially. Some lectures are not recorded at all, so your best bet as a responsible medical student and future doctor should be to attend all the lectures. A lot of the lecturers are clinical staff and they're giving up their time to come and teach you, and I think it's good manners to do the same. Missing lectures won't be detrimental initially, but the more you miss, the more independent work and catching up you would need to do..
- I believe the staff will chase you down if you don't attend after a while. Not entirely sure on this...
- The Jan exams is known as the mid-sessional and it acts as an exam to help you see how well you're getting on. It doesn't count towards you're final grade, but it is part of the in-course assessment.
- You get quite a handful of topics to chose from for your SSC. I wouldn't really worry about it.. I think you get about 2 weeks to decide? Again, this might change for you guys..
- After your exams, you may have to complete one or two pieces of assessments, but other than that you should be free.

Hope this helps. *

Thank you this was really helpful!
Reply 2224
Does anyone know what date the GPEP course starts at King's College London?
Hi guys. So I had a firm choice for medicine at King's. (i do IB not A-levels btw.) 35 points and 666 HL. well come results day and I got 38 points (woo!) but only 755 at HL. 7 in geography and 5 in biology and chem. I got the breakdown of the results and in chemistry I was one mark off the next level up. For paper 1, 2 and 3!!! And my IA got moderated down by 2 marks. In biology I was 2 marks away in paper 2 and 5 in paper 3. But my IA went down by 4 marks! From.a level 6 to a level 4! I'm going for remarks in both subjects. But dyu guys think kings will still accept me on their medicine course. Seeing as I narrowly missed the grade boundaries and I exceeded their overall points score. I am already writing to them explaining the breakdown. But if you guys could give some tips on what to say to kings that would be really helpful. Thanks guys.(btw my subjects were geo, bio, chem HL. Mandarin ab intio, maths studies and English SL. Got 755 in HL and 676 with the seven in Maths studies. And plus two points for tok/EE. Got a B and a C in EE. Eventhough my supervisor r said it's a good A...)
Original post by Albert95
Hello, well this is pretty late but I got an email from the admission team saying I got an offer and told me to contact them tomorrow. Anyone got the same email?

I got a phonecall! have you contacted them yet? I'm getting a little stressed seeing everyone with accommodation offers and student finance sorted I just really want to catch up with them!
Did anyone get a reply from the Occupational health questionnaire team when sending the forms?
Original post by HooplaKid
Did anyone get a reply from the Occupational health questionnaire team when sending the forms?

As far as I know, they'll only contact you if they have a query regarding something you put on the form. So don't worry!
Original post by ah639
As far as I know, they'll only contact you if they have a query regarding something you put on the form. So don't worry!

Thank you!
Any tips on UKCAT AR and QR.

I'm average at VR and band 1 for situational Judgement. Kings is my 1st and tbh my hearts only choice. I am going to apply for Warwick too as I did like the culture of the medical school and have to admit it looked great.

What was the average UKCAT cut off 2016 entry?*
I had mitigating circumstances (medical reasons) which really affected my exams and I think I got AAB.

I let Kings know well in advance and provided the evidence.

Does anyone know how lenient Kings are with missed offers WITH mitigating circumstances?

AND will they let me resit for next year if I miss it and get rejected without going through the admissions process again? 😔😔
Original post by 123ash
Any tips on UKCAT AR and QR.

I'm average at VR and band 1 for situational Judgement. Kings is my 1st and tbh my hearts only choice. I am going to apply for Warwick too as I did like the culture of the medical school and have to admit it looked great.

What was the average UKCAT cut off 2016 entry?*

I have an offer from King's my UKCAT was 667, my younger sister sat UKCAT last week she got 723, she used Kaplan, medifiy and Ukcat Ninja, you need to work hard on all sections for about 3 weeks full time before sitting the test. AR will improve only by doing more practice.
Original post by futuremedic2016
I have an offer from King's my UKCAT was 667, my younger sister sat UKCAT last week she got 723, she used Kaplan, medifiy and Ukcat Ninja, you need to work hard on all sections for about 3 weeks full time before sitting the test. AR will improve only by doing more practice.

This is such a reassuring and positive response. Thanks.*
Morning all and good luck for everyone receiving results today, let me know if you have any questions! :smile:
So I missed my grades fro KCL and basically lost my place. Im not sure what to do. If I take a gap year, there are only a handful of unit that will consider me so i basically won't be able to apply to KCL again. If I took a biomed degree somewhere else then can I reapply to King's as an undergraduate despite my a level grades not meeting the required or can I only apply with a postgrad position? someone please help me... Im not sure whether to go for a domed degree or take a gap year. I understand that the GAMSAT is quite hard and that entering medicine through a post grad degree is competitive and difficult
Original post by Milkbottle64
So I missed my grades fro KCL and basically lost my place. Im not sure what to do. If I take a gap year, there are only a handful of unit that will consider me so i basically won't be able to apply to KCL again. If I took a biomed degree somewhere else then can I reapply to King's as an undergraduate despite my a level grades not meeting the required or can I only apply with a postgrad position? someone please help me... Im not sure whether to go for a domed degree or take a gap year. I understand that the GAMSAT is quite hard and that entering medicine through a post grad degree is competitive and difficult

Entering medicine via any route is difficult in itself, however it is noted that the postgrad route is particularly competitive given the qualifications applicants have. And for any course, you would have to meet the entry requirements, A Level grades included. It's up to you to decide whether you feel a gap year would be beneficial to you, and to consider what you would use that gap year to achieve.
Is anyone still waiting for a decision?
I only slightly missed my offer, and they said I'll hear back earliest today
Original post by Beenieeee
Is anyone still waiting for a decision?
I only slightly missed my offer, and they said I'll hear back earliest today

I am, the wait is killing me
Original post by Milkbottle64

I messed up year 13 and got BCC at Alevel, did a degree in Bio/Chem, got into KCL this year for 5 yr med :smile: I am pretty sure less people applied med this year cos of the whole junior doctors ting and it might've sorted itself out by next year, but if not then it could be easier to get into med next year too! It depends how much you missed your grades by. I did a degree cos I had no other option to get into med but you might be alright with just doing a few retakes x

Latest