The Student Room Group

AS to A2 transition?

How big is 'the jump' between AS to A2? I found first year of college pretty straight forward and performed the highest in my classes all year, but I'm worried I won't be able to do well at A2 because of the transition. The transition isn't actually talked about much, so I was just wondering if it's noticeable or if the transition from AS to A2 is nothing to worry about?

I noticed the way that essays and such are structured in a more complex way at A2, compared to AS. How is this achieved despite the fact that there are only around nine months in which to gather new skills for A2? :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SteamboatMickey
How big is 'the jump' between AS to A2? I found first year of college pretty straight forward and performed the highest in my classes all year, but I'm worried I won't be able to do well at A2 because of the transition. The transition isn't actually talked about much, so I was just wondering if it's noticeable or if the transition from AS to A2 is nothing to worry about?

I noticed the way that essays and such are structured in a more complex way at A2, compared to AS. How is this achieved despite the fact that there are only around nine months in which to gather new skills for A2? :s-smilie:

It depends on the subject if I'm honest. Psychology, for example, went from learning 15 studies to 54 (in slightly less detail but still). You may also find that you have to write more to get the same amount of marks. The essay structure may also differ slightly. It's noticeable, very much so, but if you had good revision habits at AS it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Original post by emiloujess
It depends on the subject if I'm honest. Psychology, for example, went from learning 15 studies to 54 (in slightly less detail but still). You may also find that you have to write more to get the same amount of marks. The essay structure may also differ slightly. It's noticeable, very much so, but if you had good revision habits at AS it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thank-you very much! I'm doing English Literature, English Language, History and an extended project. I'm aiming to do as well as I can, have you got any tips for 'getting ahead' or just preparing myself? So I won't be a lost sheep when I start A2 soon haha. Really want to do well so I'm just worrying about falling behind or just under performing.

There is a jump but it isn't as great as the jump from GCSE to A-level so if you coped with that, you will be fine. Because you drop one subject, you will be able to concentrate more on your remaining 3 which makes the extra work manageable.

By the way, I also did English lit and history
Thank-you very much! I'm doing English Literature, English Language, History and an extended project. I'm aiming to do as well as I can, have you got any tips for 'getting ahead' or just preparing myself? So I won't be a lost sheep when I start A2 soon haha. Really want to do well so I'm just worrying about falling behind or just under performing.

Well I'd just enjoy your summer to be honest instead of trying to learn things you will be taught anyway. Better to go in with a clear and refreshed mind :smile: As long as you keep a clear head, start revision early and not completely go into panic mode like I did you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by emiloujess
Well I'd just enjoy your summer to be honest instead of trying to learn things you will be taught anyway. Better to go in with a clear and refreshed mind :smile: As long as you keep a clear head, start revision early and not completely go into panic mode like I did you'll be fine :smile:

I'll try to do that :colondollar:

I have some summer homework, and extra reading I'm doing but other than that I shall try not to panic and enjoy my summer. Thanks so much!

Original post by Platopus
There is a jump but it isn't as great as the jump from GCSE to A-level so if you coped with that, you will be fine. Because you drop one subject, you will be able to concentrate more on your remaining 3 which makes the extra work manageable.

By the way, I also did English lit and history

Thanks! Yeah, I coped okay, I was just a bit worried I wouldn't cope next year.

Any tips for acing English lit???
I'll try to do that :colondollar:
Any tips for acing English lit???

I did a lot if independent work for English lit. I didn't just learn a few specific quotes - I basically learnt the entirety of Paradise Lost Book 9, The Tempest and The White Devil off by heart. That way, I was prepared for whatever question they could possibly throw at me.
Reply 7
Depends on subject - Sociology AS to A2 wasn't that difficult, but my transition to German A2 is gonna seem like a different course altogether.
Depends on subjects, as I dropped a subject after AS I had extra study time so the difference in difficulty wasn't very noticeable (doing art & design, biology & chemistry, dropped maths)

Which exam board are you with for history?
Reply 10
I'm not really sure there is a jump. It's just that you go from the end of a year - where you know everything that you need to know to the start of a year, where you haven't learnt anything yet, so it's just a case of going home and learning the material all over again. But I can't say there is a 'jump'. Maybe it's a myth.

Quick Reply

Latest