The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

does not agreeing with homosexuality make me homophobic

I don't agree with homosexuality but am I homophobic? today i was talking to this gay male on the train and we were talking about how he came out to his family and how they reacted. he asked me my view and i said i personally dont agree with homosexuality because i believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race. but i would never belittle anyone because of their sexuality because that is being a *****y person, i would not treat someone differently because they are gay i see everyone equal. he said fair enough and then i asked if he thought i was homophobic or bigoted he said no as everyone is entitled to their opinions and im not mistreating homosexuals. but this lady overheard and started shouting about how i was homophobic everyone on the carriage heard and looked, made me feel like **** for having an opinion. on my way home i am homophobic ,i see homophobic people as bully and i dont think i am one . i wanna know if others feel the same way as the lady. btw im an atheist,not religious before anyone says im a sheep for following old books

Scroll to see replies

So if everyone is equal and can do as they please, what have you against homosexuality? It doesn't affect you. You are not involved. It is no concern of yours. So why the anguish? Homosexuality isn't a choice. It is just how some people are. You can believe it to be wrong, but it doesn't work like that. It isn't a lifestyle choice just as you don't choose to be heterosexual.

To think about how it feels, flip the argument around and imagine that heterosexuality was the taboo combination and that homosexuality were the norm. How would you feel if people voiced the sort of opinion you just have.

Live and let live. No one did any harm by being gay.
Reply 3
Yes, because it's absolutely none of your business to express a negative view about something which does not affect you nor indeed anyone else. Add to this the history of appalling abuse and persecution gay people have face over ages and you might appreciate why posts of this type are a remnant of former legitimised intolerant times.
Not agreeing with homosexuality does not make you homophobic, as much as the left might want you to believe that. Discriminating against or holding unfounded views about gay people, however, is homophobic. If being against homosexuality makes you homophobic then being against Islam makes you Islamaphobic.
Original post by jake4198
Not agreeing with homosexuality does not make you homophobic

Yeah - I am wrestling with that one. But if I openly disagreed with heterosexuality, what are your thoughts on that?
Original post by ByEeek
So if everyone is equal and can do as they please, what have you against homosexuality? It doesn't affect you. You are not involved. It is no concern of yours. So why the anguish? Homosexuality isn't a choice. It is just how some people are. You can believe it to be wrong, but it doesn't work like that. It isn't a lifestyle choice just as you don't choose to be heterosexual.

To think about how it feels, flip the argument around and imagine that heterosexuality was the taboo combination and that homosexuality were the norm. How would you feel if people voiced the sort of opinion you just have.

Live and let live. No one did any harm by being gay.

Original post by Zarek
Yes, because it's absolutely none of your business to express a negative view about something which does not affect you nor indeed anyone else. Add to this the history of appalling abuse and persecution gay people have face over ages and you might appreciate why posts of this type are a remnant of former legitimised intolerant times.

I don't see how it is homophic? he simply said he doesn't agree them, not that he hates them or anythin? i guess people don't like hearing other people's opinion
Yeah

So what is your definition of homophobic then? You guys think being homophobic only beating up random gay people isn't it? smh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by theBranicAc
I don't see how it is homophic? he simply said he doesn't agree them, not that he hates them or anythin? i guess people don't like hearing other people's opinion

Perhaps. But then maybe it is an opinion best kept to one's self? I mean - what are you trying to achieve by voicing that opinion? If the answer is nothing, then do nothing and keep said mouth shut.
No, you are allowed to have your opinion even if it is wrong in the eyes of most people.
Honestly who even cares? People have the right to their own views as long as they are not impinging on the liberties of others.
No, it makes you rational.
Original post by ByEeek
Perhaps. But then maybe it is an opinion best kept to one's self? I mean - what are you trying to achieve by voicing that opinion? If the answer is nothing, then do nothing and keep said mouth shut.

Didn't the guy ask him for his opinion tho? He shouldn't have to lie just to not offend anyone
Original post by ByEeek
Yeah - I am wrestling with that one. But if I openly disagreed with heterosexuality, what are your thoughts on that?

Heterosexuality is the epitome of life on Earth. A male is attracted to a female in order to procreate, as is the case in most species of the animal kingdom. If you openly disagree with heterosexuality the chances are you're trying to make some trendy point without a fluent narrative, but in any case, someone disagreeing with heterosexuality does not constitute as a phobia.
Original post by ByEeek

so now people can't express their opinion? just because others won't agree with it? We have free will,so why should that stop us giving our opinion as long as its not hateful?

i dont know what the op was achieving when he said that, but maybe he just wanted to give his opinion on the topic, it doesn't necessary need to achieve any impact,
Original post by King_ajk
I don't agree with homosexuality but am I homophobic? today i was talking to this gay male on the train and we were talking about how he came out to his family and how they reacted. he asked me my view and i said i personally dont agree with homosexuality because i believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race. but i would never belittle anyone because of their sexuality because that is being a *****y person, i would not treat someone differently because they are gay i see everyone equal. he said fair enough and then i asked if he thought i was homophobic or bigoted he said no as everyone is entitled to their opinions and im not mistreating homosexuals. but this lady overheard and started shouting about how i was homophobic everyone on the carriage heard and looked, made me feel like **** for having an opinion. on my way home i am homophobic ,i see homophobic people as bully and i dont think i am one . i wanna know if others feel the same way as the lady. btw im an atheist,not religious before anyone says im a sheep for following old books

No that doesn't make you homophobic
That makes you neutral on the view
If you actively support it obviously your for gay couples or whatever you support in the gay culture
I don't like pop music and I don't agree with anyone liking pop music, doesn't mean I hate them, I just don't like an act they carry out. Which, in my opinion, is perfectly fine.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Didn't the guy ask him for his opinion tho? He shouldn't have to lie just to not offend anyone

He did indeed ask for an opinion, but I believe lying not to offend someone is called politeness or common courtesy. But it isn't even that. Not saying something isn't lying.
Kind of? There are 7 billion people on this planet so it doesn't matter if there are some people that don't have children. Even if the point of man and woman was to reproduce what about individuals who are infertile or asexual?
Disagreeing with it is fine. Hurting or discriminating against people who are gay because you disagree with it is not fine.

Original post by ByEeek

It's just tough **** if that's their opinion. Also if you ask someone for their opinion (as OP was) and you don't like their reply, that's your problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending