The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

does not agreeing with homosexuality make me homophobic

Scroll to see replies

According to wikipedia, "homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being LGBT". So using that definition, you were being homophobic. Having said that I think you're entitled to these beliefs as long as you don't actually act on them, although I would encourage you to reconsider your position because I do not think it is a very pleasant or sensible one.
Original post by ByEeek
So if everyone is equal and can do as they please, what have you against homosexuality? It doesn't affect you. You are not involved. It is no concern of yours. So why the anguish? Homosexuality isn't a choice. It is just how some people are. You can believe it to be wrong, but it doesn't work like that. It isn't a lifestyle choice just as you don't choose to be heterosexual.

To think about how it feels, flip the argument around and imagine that heterosexuality was the taboo combination and that homosexuality were the norm. How would you feel if people voiced the sort of opinion you just have.

Live and let live. No one did any harm by being gay.

Saying that though would beg the question, what is wrong if he is homophobic if it doesn't affect anyone, it's a point of view as similarly one may have a phobia of spiders yet never actually do any acts related to it
(for instance poisoning all spiders in a 10block radius).
Now of course you could correlate someone being homophobic with someone being actively hateful against gay people but that is an assumption.
Similarly, the idea that it doesn't affect him is also an assumption, surely directly it doesn't in terms of the actual act but it may indirectly in terms of culture.
All this said, I do agree that everyone should do as they please in terms of sexuality (outside of the rightfully illegal ones), I just find 'it doesn't affect you' a weak argument.

The word homophobia appears to encompass many different views which is unfortunate as some
are much less harmful than the others, yet the term used broadly between these can exaggerate lesser issues.
(edited 7 years ago)
Homophobia is by definition an irrational fear of homosexuality. Since there's no rational reason to fear/disagree homosexuality, then yes, you're a homophobe.
Does disagreeing with blackness make me racist? I would never discriminate against black people, but I think black skin is ugly and black people are inherently sinful, and that's just my opinion, man. I don't see why people call me racist when it's just my opinion.*

*In case the tone wasn't obvious, this is sarcasm. I'm trying to communicate the inherent cowardice required to "disagree with" an immutable part of someone's identity as if it's a lifestyle choice whilst crying out against anyone who points out your prejudice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Plagioclase
According to wikipedia, "homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being LGBT". So using that definition, you were being homophobic. Having said that I think you're entitled to these beliefs as long as you don't actually act on them, although I would encourage you to reconsider your position because I do not think it is a very pleasant or sensible one.

according to that definition, anybody who disagrees with gays are homophobic?

what has happened to ability to express our opinion without getting criticized or labelled homophobic?
People need to calm down.

The OP was in an apparently civil conversation with another person. He asked for their opinion and they answered honestly. They were not screaming or shouting or insulting people. It was their opinion about how they felt about homosexuality. The homosexual man clearly did not take offence about the OP's response or views. He seemed to respect it and we all should do the same.

If the OP had lied that they were fine with homosexuality, but secretly did not approve of it, it would have been worse (in my opinion).

We should seek to educate people rather than attack and criticize people, if not we will never progress as a people.
No.
Original post by theBranicAc
according to that definition, anybody who disagrees with gays are homophobic?

what has happened to ability to express our opinion without getting criticized or labelled homophobic?

Well yes, that's how homophobia is defined. You don't have a right to express your opinion without getting criticised. You have a right to express your opinion, others have a right to criticise you and call you homophobic.
Original post by XOR_
Saying that though would beg the question, what is wrong if he is homophobic if it doesn't affect anyone, it's a point of view as similarly one may have a phobia of spiders yet never actually do any acts related to it
(for instance poisoning all spiders in a 10block radius).
Now of course you could correlate someone being homophobic with someone being actively hateful against gay people but that is an assumption.
Similarly, the idea that it doesn't affect him is also an assumption, surely directly it doesn't in terms of the actual act but it may indirectly in terms of culture.
All this said, I do agree that everyone should do as they please in terms of sexuality (outside of the rightfully illegal ones), I just find it doesn't affect you a weak argument.

This comment must crush your insides @XOR_

Original post by Terry Tibbs
Homophobia is by definition an irrational fear of homosexuality. Since there's no rational reason to fear/disagree homosexuality, then yes, you're a homophobe.

I don't think you read his post, but he did give a rational reason why he disagrees with it? Read it properly and make a sensible comment next time.

Original post by TurtleberrySoup
Does disagreeing with blackness make me racist? I would never discriminate against black people, but I think black skin is ugly and black people are inherently sinful, and that's just my opinion, man. I don't see why people call me racist when it's just my opinion.*

*In case the tone wasn't obvious, this is sarcasm. I'm trying to communicate the inherent cowardice required to "disagree with" an immutable part of someone's identity as if it's a lifestyle choice whilst crying out against anyone who points out your prejudice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your opinion on blacks is really this, then you are racist
Reply 29
What do you even mean when you say you don't agree with it then? If you don't mind homosexual relationships/relations, then in what sense are you opposed? You say you "believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race". This implies a judgement of the activity on some level, i.e. you think that rather than having homosexual relationships, people should partner with a member of the opposite sex. Surely this is at odds with believing that sexuality is indeed a concrete aspect of a person (it would seem you hold this belief going by "i would never belittle anyone because of their sexuality":wink:, as someone who is homosexual cannot suddenly just be straight and partner with a member of the opposite sex to procreate. And do you also "not agree" with infertility because you "believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race" ? If you don't care what gay people do and don't want to prevent them from doing anything, then you are not homophobic, but in this case, I don't see how you can claim to not agree with homosexuality. It is as odd to me as "not agreeing" with blonde hair.

edit: by the way I'm not trying to be hostile. I'm genuinely trying to understand what seems to me to be a rather contradictory/ill-defined position.

double edit: I guess what you are probably trying to get across on more reflection is that you think that the fact homosexuality is something which naturally occurs is bad because it prevents the man-woman relationship , i.e. you would prefer if homosexuality simply wasn't a natural phenomenon, but you have nothing against the people who are gay. In this case, it seems an odd position to me, but I wouldn't call it homophobia.
(edited 7 years ago)
This comment must crush your insides @XOR_

No? can you explain why you thought it would.
I don't think you read his post, but he did give a rational reason why he disagrees with it? Read it properly and make a sensible comment next time.
*Re-reads post*, nope, no rational reason to be found.
Yes, it does.
Original post by Plagioclase
Well yes, that's how homophobia is defined. You don't have a right to express your opinion without getting criticised. You have a right to express your opinion, others have a right to criticise you and call you homophobic.

what idiot came up with the definition for homophobia?
Theres no such thing as 'free speech' or 'free will' in this world. I really don't understand how expressing your opinion in a civil non hateful way, labless your a homophobic? Wow, this world is pretty messed up
Theres no such thing as 'free speech' or 'free will' in this world. I really don't understand how expressing your opinion in a civil non hateful way, labless your a homophobic? Wow, this world is pretty messed up
If you consider the definition so stupid then you shouldn't have any problem being called homophobic then should you.

It comes from the Greek, that's what homophobia means. You wouldn't find it very controversial that an arachnophobe doesn't like spiders so I don't see why you think it's unacceptable that homophobia means a dislike of homosexuality.
Original post by XOR_
No? can you explain why you thought it would.

He made your point look so weak and stupid, by using counter examples to the one you used. His argument was just so much more better and stronger than yours. Theres nothing you could say to bring you back.

Original post by Terry Tibbs
*Re-reads post*, nope, no rational reason to be found.

'personally dont agree with homosexuality because i believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race. '

isn't this not a rational reason?, considering were biological made to populate the world?
@TheBranicAc

My black face whilst reading your comment:1467826396478.jpg

SARCASM BRO. SARCASM. EXPLICITLY MENTIONED IN MY COMMENT.

Oh, and a further pic for skin colour verification:
1467826495074.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
isn't this not a rational reason?, considering were biological made to populate the world?
"I don't believe in disabled people being kept alive because the weakest of the population are supposed to die out due to Darwinism", is this a rational reason for letting disabled people die?
Reply 39
'personally dont agree with homosexuality because i believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race. '

This is a rational reason to want the rate of homosexuality to be low, but not to be against individual occurrences of homosexuality.

Latest

Trending

Trending