The Student Room Group

Is it wise to drop a subject if I do my full A-Level Maths in year 12?

I am looking to apply to Oxbridge next academic year to study Computer Science. I have taken AS exams in Physics and Computer Science/Computing, and my full A-Level in maths. Next year I'll be doing the full Further Maths A Level. I was thinking of dropping Physics, meaning I'll be doing Computing and Further Maths next year, although I'll still come out with 3 A Levels and one AS like most people do at the end of year 13.

I was wondering how detrimental this would be to my application for Oxbridge. Should I keep Physics? It's not as if I'd be doing less work than someone who explicitly does 3 subjects, since I have to do the entire A-Level Further Maths in 1 year, and I already had to put in a lot of work this year to handle the normal A Level Maths in one year. Has anybody ever done what I plan to do and got in? I know most Oxbridge applicants do four subjects, although the standard offer has always been three.

What are people's thoughts? (Real life stories highly valued)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by 83457

Tagging @gavinlowe (he's an Oxford CompSci tutor)
Reply 2
I'm in a very similar situation to you! Ive just completed the full A level maths course this year & will be sitting the full FM course next academic year. My other two subjects are physics & chemistry; I would much prefer to drop chemistry since I do not enjoy it at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 83457
I am looking to apply to Oxbridge next academic year to study Computer Science. I have taken AS exams in Physics and Computer Science/Computing, and my full A-Level in maths. Next year I'll be doing the full Further Maths A Level. I was thinking of dropping Physics, meaning I'll be doing Computing and Further Maths next year, although I'll still come out with 3 A Levels and one AS like most people do at the end of year 13.

I was wondering how detrimental this would be to my application for Oxbridge. Should I keep Physics? It's not as if I'd be doing less work than someone who explicitly does 3 subjects, since I have to do the entire A-Level Further Maths in 1 year, and I already had to put in a lot of work this year to handle the normal A Level Maths in one year. Has anybody ever done what I plan to do and got in? I know most Oxbridge applicants do four subjects, although the standard offer has always been three.

To be honest, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. We (at Oxford) offer on three A Levels, and we're quite happy to see three A Levels. And Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science is the ideal combination.

Doing a fourth A Level shows that you're able to cope with more work; but it would be unfair for universities to put very much weight on that, given that changes to funding mean that students at many schools are unable to take 4 A Levels (thank you, Mr Gove).

Gavin
Reply 4
Original post by gavinlowe
To be honest, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. We (at Oxford) offer on three A Levels, and we're quite happy to see three A Levels. And Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science is the ideal combination.

Doing a fourth A Level shows that you're able to cope with more work; but it would be unfair for universities to put very much weight on that, given that changes to funding mean that students at many schools are unable to take 4 A Levels (thank you, Mr Gove).

Gavin

So, to be clear: if OP has say, A* from Maths A-level in Y12, and is then doing all FM and completing Computing in Y13 that would be Ok? And they would get a 2 A-level offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
The same is true for me, I'd like to apply for maths at Cambridge and This year I've done the full math A level, spanish AS and economics AS. Next year i'd be doing the full further maths a level and complete spanish and economics but I'd really like to drop economics. Does anyone know if dropping economics would be a problem for cambridge or for any other universities If i want to apply for maths?
Reply 6
Original post by joodaa
The same is true for me, I'd like to apply for maths at Cambridge and This year I've done the full math A level, spanish AS and economics AS. Next year i'd be doing the full further maths a level and complete spanish and economics but I'd really like to drop economics. Does anyone know if dropping economics would be a problem for cambridge or for any other universities If i want to apply for maths?

Nope that's fine for Cambridge.
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
Nope that's fine for Cambridge.

Great and I wouldn't be at a disadvantage compared to if i did continue economics next year?
Reply 8
Original post by joodaa
Great and I wouldn't be at a disadvantage compared to if i did continue economics next year?

You would be disadvantaged if you did an "extra" A-level and ended up performing less well across your other A-levels because you stretched yourself too far. It's quality not quantity...

A*A*A is better than A*AAA
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
You would be disadvantaged if you did an "extra" A-level and ended up doing less well across your other A-levels because you stretched yourself too far. It's quality not quantity...

A*A*A is better than A*AAA

Ah you are right thanks for the advice man
Original post by jneill
So, to be clear: if OP has say, A* from Maths A-level in Y12, and is then doing all FM and completing Computing in Y13 that would be Ok? And they would get a 2 A-level offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Taking an A Level in Year 12 is fine, and can count towards the normal A*AA requirement.

Gavin
Reply 11
Original post by gavinlowe
Yes. Taking an A Level in Year 12 is fine, and can count towards the normal A*AA requirement.

Gavin

Excellent. Thanks for confirming :smile:
Original post by 83457

If Cambridge, which route into Computer Science are you considering? We want people to have a full workload in year 13, as long as you have that it's fine. (FM in a year alongside second half of Computing is ok).

HOWEVER, being honest, Physics is likely of more interest than A level Computing. A level Computing/Computer Science isn't essential or even an advantage in admisisons decisions, it just might mean you'll have a slightly easier first year if you've come across some of the concepts before. Dropping Physics would prevent you from applying for the Computer Science via Natural Sciences route and might raise questions about your suitability if you're interested in Computer Sciences via Maths. Even for the 75% option, Physics would be advantageous. Why don't you like physics?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending