Scroll to see replies

Original post by OneAfrica
Did the UKCAT today did pretty crap
VR 600
QR 590
AR 720

SJ Band 2
Avg: 636.

Don't be too disheartened yet. Its still early days and we don't really know how hard the test is/general performance is yet.
It is important no to allow to feel bad. Marks is not everything. Having said that, it is hard not to feel disheartened as we have put on so much effort in it. I guess this is what my parents mean when they say "phases of life"... :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by riyaaaaa
I might just get the 1000q book if i am done with medify practice questions early. Also, i am struggling with the verbal reasoning section, so do you guys have any tips? :smile:) thanks

Try and read the text quickly and then go to the questions before going back to the text. If you read the text in too much detail too early you will waste a lot of valuable time.
Original post by UKCATrocks
Try and read the text quickly and then go to the questions before going back to the text. If you read the text in too much detail too early you will waste a lot of valuable time.

Skim read as suggested by UKCATrocks. I am practicing following:

Skim read
Reading the question first
Search text quckly With practice, you will get an expert, to find the relevent part that deals with your answer.
Read this in detail
BINGO: thats your answer.

Please don't quote me if it misfires. This is my technique and it works on me. I took time to practice this.
Reply 324
Sounds like the car theory exam room

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anishkulkarni98
I mailed sgul and they said for the international foundation, 500 is the threshold and anyone above it will be considered for interview of they get 14/20 in the foundation year.

Also, once into FY, they won't consider ukcat again for future assessments of the application

Posted from TSR Mobile

sounds like it's worth a try then does it not?
I came across a free UKCAT question bank that I did online for FREE. Lots of questions in it. very useful.
I'm a Scottish applicant and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what universities I should apply to.

Please and thank you.
Original post by manya.june
I came across a free UKCAT question bank that I did online for FREE. Lots of questions in it. very useful.

where is it from?
Reply 329
Hi, i ve been confirmed to Master in Biomed at myork uni.
As I am still intersted to candidate in medecine at postgrad, does someone know what courses/subjects to take during the master dgree? And more generaly', how does the postgraduate entry for medicine work? Thank you. I wish success to all of you.
not sure if TSR community rule will allow me to post a link here. but you can google it. website is truly non promotional, I think it has something to do with the official UKCAT listings.
Original post by Ienjoylife

I guess! But then last year they had 35 students in IFP and 25 progressed to SGuL. Rest 10 progressed to various medicine course in UK and elsewhere.

My only worry is it adds to the debt. Being an international student, I will have to pay 20000£ for IFP and 25000£ per year medicine with 5% increase

Do you think I should go for it?
Original post by Ienjoylife

You are in Birmingham right? What was your UKCAT and how's the course?
Original post by Maninder-Al
Why are you scared. A few days ago, you replied to someone who said they were scared by saying (your words):

" I think it is OK to feel that way. We are at that cross road in life. We will do as many before us have done so. Key is to visit, see, get a feel of future life. Expectations are there in every aspect of life, whatever we do. Just give your best and the best will come to you. That is my way of thinking. Best of luck." So you can take your own advice on board.

The Kaplan course is actually pretty good. They are after all one of the most experienced companies and do not suffer from the "Everyone can be a tutor syndrome" because let's face it everyone and their dog is now pretending to be a "UKCAT" tutor.

However the main problem with courses is that I just cannot see how you can ever learn much about 4 different sections of the UKCAT in just one day. At just about 90 minutes per section it seems an utter waste of money. As such only courses which are longer (eg 2 or more days) would be worth attending but then quite pricey.

So my conclusion is that if you intend to attend a one-day course, then don't. It's a waste of bloody time. You might as well spend the money on books or online resources. Only courses which are longer than one day are worth attending if you can afford them.

As I said, at this cross road of life, we go throuh emotions. Or if I dare say, roller coaster of emotions. Our posts reflect. In my case, my posts reflect how the practice went... Thanks Maninder. I shall remember my words. Cheerio.
Ohhh i see.
I am stuck wid quantitative reasoning.
How should i do it. I have test on 18th please give me tips.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nataliek98
Took my UKCAT july 5
VR: 650
QR: 770
AR: 750
Average: 723
Practiced on medify for a month

How did you manage a good AR score? Because Medify doesnt have the "X is to Y as Z is to __" type questions and also doesnt have the type 4
Original post by dakshsaksena
How did you manage a good AR score? Because Medify doesnt have the "X is to Y as Z is to __" type questions and also doesnt have the type 4

Right, even though I've never practiced those types of questions before I found them to be by far the easiest. I really can't say how I managed to get what I got other than using medify. The types of questions you just mentioned are often used in IQ tests and I've done those before so I guess I kinda knew what to expect?
Original post by nataliek98
Right, even though I've never practiced those types of questions before I found them to be by far the easiest. I really can't say how I managed to get what I got other than using medify. The types of questions you just mentioned are often used in IQ tests and I've done those before so I guess I kinda knew what to expect?

And the Medify mocks, how close are they to the real thing?
Do you feel they are harder or easier?
Original post by dakshsaksena
And the Medify mocks, how close are they to the real thing?
Do you feel they are harder or easier?

I would say that they're easier than the real thing
Original post by clairebear101
It's too hard for me at the moment. I'm going to get confident before I tackle that book again :smile: but i think it will be handy once i get to grasps with things maybe after a course. Is the 1000Q book worth it as well?

My personal opinion is to do as many as we can. If you have done 600 Q, go get some other or online source. I wont comment on 1000Q. or suggest any book specifically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending