The Student Room Group

Not enough GCSEs ?

I have only 4 GCSEs as of this summer. I was admitted to hospital in year 10 and completed these GCSEs (Maths, Bio and English Lit & Lang) in the last term. I have been offered a place at Hills Road in Cambridge which is a good college but I worry that this isn't enough to get into a good university (Expectations w/o the hiccoughs last year would have been Oxbridge) So should I go to sixth and hope I get into uni anyway or take another year out and cash in on other GCSEs I never got to complete?
Posted from TSR Mobile

As much as I hate to say this, MOST universities look for 5 GCSE's between A*-C
Thanks, I suppose I needed someone to say it
It's so very annoying when you have all A* s but just not enough of them :tongue:
3 options:

> Take a year out to do GCSEs -
- Advantage: makes it easier to get the grades you want and more of them
- Disadvantage: stuck in y11 for another year, when you start sixth form you'll be 1 year older

Do GCSEs at sixth form -
- Advantage: you can go straight to sixth form, get your A Levels and GCSEs. Get GCSEs out the way (maybe do 3/4 more at sixth form)
- Disadvantage: more stress, pressure and work as you'll have to balance A Levels and GCSEs. Challenging but not impossible.

Go to sixth form, don't do any more GCSEs -
- Advantage: you can focus entirely on your A Levels with nothing else on your plate; less work.
- Disadvantage. Big risk, as you said. You will need more than 4 GCSEs to go to Oxbridge/ get a good job.

The decision is yours :tongue: I'm not going to recommend what I think you should do because it's your life and your choice. Laying everything out may help you though... good luck pal :smile: :smile: :smile:
take an extra gcse while your in college.
Original post by Ella_08
3 options:

> Take a year out to do GCSEs -
- Advantage: makes it easier to get the grades you want and more of them
- Disadvantage: stuck in y11 for another year, when you start sixth form you'll be 1 year older

Do GCSEs at sixth form -
- Advantage: you can go straight to sixth form, get your A Levels and GCSEs. Get GCSEs out the way (maybe do 3/4 more at sixth form)
- Disadvantage: more stress, pressure and work as you'll have to balance A Levels and GCSEs. Challenging but not impossible.

Go to sixth form, don't do any more GCSEs -
- Advantage: you can focus entirely on your A Levels with nothing else on your plate; less work.
- Disadvantage. Big risk, as you said. You will need more than 4 GCSEs to go to Oxbridge/ get a good job.

The decision is yours :tongue: I'm not going to recommend what I think you should do because it's your life and your choice. Laying everything out may help you though... good luck pal :smile: :smile: :smile:

Thank you so much, it will be a tough decision but I suppose I'm going to have to make it soon :frown:
Thanks for the advice, you've put it into words much better than I could.
Is it possible to balance GCSEs with A Levels and still achieve high grades would you think?
Original post by ChuffyDarlington
Thank you so much, it will be a tough decision but I suppose I'm going to have to make it soon :frown:
Thanks for the advice, you've put it into words much better than I could.
Is it possible to balance GCSEs with A Levels and still achieve high grades would you think?

No problem :wink: yeah, i think it will be a hard decision and I feel for you. As long as you're alright now. I've known people who have done like two GCSEs at A Level and managed it fine. The GCSEs you've got are good subjects, a lot better than dance or food tech lol. What sort of job do you want to do? If you are going to do GCSEs with A Levels then I think you can get good grades with determination. I'd stay away from history GCSE (so many facts to learn!) but it depends what you're good at.
Original post by Ella_08
No problem :wink: yeah, i think it will be a hard decision and I feel for you. As long as you're alright now. I've known people who have done like two GCSEs at A Level and managed it fine. The GCSEs you've got are good subjects, a lot better than dance or food tech lol. What sort of job do you want to do? If you are going to do GCSEs with A Levels then I think you can get good grades with determination. I'd stay away from history GCSE (so many facts to learn!) but it depends what you're good at.

The main problem would be the fact I want to do law :colondollar:
I suppose you're right, in the fact I could pick up some easy subjects at A Level, it won't be a doddle but what thing worth it wouldn't be?
Thanks again :smile:
Original post by ChuffyDarlington
The main problem would be the fact I want to do law :colondollar:
I suppose you're right, in the fact I could pick up some easy subjects at A Level, it won't be a doddle but what thing worth it wouldn't be?
Thanks again :smile:

ooh I guess if you want to do law then history goes with that very well. So what option do you think you'll go with? Just pm me if you need more help working it out :smile:
Original post by Ella_08
ooh I guess if you want to do law then history goes with that very well. So what option do you think you'll go with? Just pm me if you need more help working it out :smile:

I suppose I would want to take a year out so as to not hinder my A Levels by taking them alongside, but boarding with girls a year younger than me might be a bit of a pain... I suppose I would just put up with it. It's only a year and I daren't put the rest of my plans at risk I suppose :s-smilie:

Thanks so much for the advice you've really helped so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest