The Student Room Group

Alton Sterling is the 558th person to be killed by US police in 2016

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36721584

For anyone who hasn't already heard about the tragic murder of Alton Sterling.

Video footage: https://twitter.com/iKeepItTooReal/status/750517889632010240

Guardian's count on number of people killed by police in the USA: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/series/counted-us-police-killings
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Got a source for the 558 killed by police in 2016? It didn't say in the BBC link*
Unfortunately the police took an oath to protect and serve the people and their country, if people got killed in the process that's sad but not against the law.
Original post by Playmaker#10
Unfortunately the police took an oath to protect and serve the people and their country, if people got killed in the process that's sad but not against the law.

He was pinned down and they had the upper hand. There was no reason to shoot him so many times.
Original post by StrawbAri
He was pinned down and they had the upper hand. There was no reason to shoot him so many times.

I agree, lets wait for the official report to come out so we can know whether the guy was a threat or if this was just violent misconduct by the officers.
Original post by KimKallstrom
Got a source for the 558 killed by police in 2016? It didn't say in the BBC link*

Yeah, sorry I've updated the OP so it's there now
Reply 6
I just saw the video on Instagram now. I'm kinda traumatised.
Reply 7
Original post by Playmaker#10

It actually is. What they did is called murder? There is really no way the police officers are going to get away shooting an unarmed man on his back, in his face at point blank range. Even if he's black.
558 out of like 318,900,000? Not too bad honestly
Reply 9
Oh you mean the felon who was armed and threatening people then resisting arrest? I fully support any cop who shoots him in the face. Their job is to protect and serve the people, not criminals.
Reply 10

Spoiler

We are only half way through the year and there is already happening more than once a day. What do you mean "not bad"? Compared to other 1st world countries, it's horrific.
Original post by Truths

We are only half way through the year and there is already happening more than once a day. What do you mean "not bad"? Compared to other 1st world countries, it's horrific.

Yes, I am not denying its bad, but It is hardly the black genocide level proportions that black lives matter acts as if it is.
Reply 12
Original post by TercioOfParma
Yes, I am not denying its bad, but It is hardly the black genocide level proportions that black lives matter acts as if it is.

I don't think you know what that word means.
Original post by Truths
I don't think you know what that word means.

Yes I do, it means the deliberate mass killing or attempted mass killing of a group, in this case, African americans. There are certainly elements of black lives matter that believe that this is happening, just as there are sections of the alt right believes in white genocide.
Reply 14
Yes I do, it means the deliberate mass killing or attempted mass killing of a group, in this case, African americans. There are certainly elements of black lives matter that believe that this is happening, just as there are sections of the alt right believes in white genocide.

You don't know what you're talking about. Black genocide is the conspiracy theory relating to abortions and the sterilisation of black women. It has not thing to do with BLM. White genocide is the conspiracy theory coined by neo-nazis that the diversification of the US is a coordinated effort to extinct the white race.
Original post by Truths
You don't know what you're talking about. Black genocide is the conspiracy theory relating to abortions and the sterilisation of black women. It has not thing to do with BLM. White genocide is the conspiracy theory coined by neo-nazis that the diversification of the US is a coordinated effort to extinct the white race.

I said there were elements of the movement that believe it, not that the movement itself believed that. Yes, the white genocide thing is bs.
Original post by Truths

It's ironic for you to ask people if they know the definition of a word, only to go butcher it yourself.

Genocide is the targeted killing of a group of people. In the case of genocide against black people, it is not defined by one particular conspiracy theory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I said there were elements of the movement that believe it, not that the movement itself believed that. Yes, the white genocide thing is bs.

I'm trying my best not to be pedantic here but OP is right there... and it just says.

Besides the generalisation, the other problem is that you used the term in context of police brutality, something I have yet to see BLM do earnestly.
Reply 18
Original post by Slipandsquirm
It's ironic for you to ask people if they know the definition of a word, only to go butcher it yourself.

Where did I do that?

Original post by Slipandsquirm
Genocide is the targeted killing of a group of people. In the case of genocide against black people, it is not defined by one particular conspiracy theory.

When it comes to the American political discourse "Black Genocide" does refer to a particular conspiracy theory. But I digress. Lets focus on the story at hand.
Original post by Jebedee
Oh you mean the felon who was armed and threatening people then resisting arrest? I fully support any cop who shoots him in the face. Their job is to protect and serve the people, not criminals.

There was no need for him to be shot. He was already pinned down and incapacitated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending