The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

does not agreeing with homosexuality make me homophobic

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
[QUOTE=frankielogue;66294856]although it doesn’t affect him, it’s his opinion. now, i’m bi myself and I have never been treated differently. he has a right to an opinion as long as he doesn’t enforce it

Fine to have an opinion and my opinion is that he would be better getting on with his life and avoiding the risk of promoting illogical, intolerant and discriminatory sentiments.
Original post by King_ajk
I don't agree with homosexuality but am I homophobic? today i was talking to this gay male on the train and we were talking about how he came out to his family and how they reacted. he asked me my view and i said i personally dont agree with homosexuality because i believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race. but i would never belittle anyone because of their sexuality because that is being a *****y person, i would not treat someone differently because they are gay i see everyone equal. he said fair enough and then i asked if he thought i was homophobic or bigoted he said no as everyone is entitled to their opinions and im not mistreating homosexuals. but this lady overheard and started shouting about how i was homophobic everyone on the carriage heard and looked, made me feel like **** for having an opinion. on my way home i am homophobic ,i see homophobic people as bully and i dont think i am one . i wanna know if others feel the same way as the lady. btw im an atheist,not religious before anyone says im a sheep for following old books

Given that he actively sought your opinion, and you voiced it as respectfully as possible, I don't think it fair that bystanders should attempt to publicly vilify you for what appears in this case to be little more than a philosophical difference.

That said, even if one were to espouse the view of sexual orientation as somehow voluntary, your worldview remains morally and intellectually problematic for a myriad different reasons, and I would strongly encourage its critical re-evaluation.
I don't agree with homosexuality but am I homophobic? today i was talking to this gay male on the train and we were talking about how he came out to his family and how they reacted. he asked me my view and i said i personally dont agree with homosexuality because i believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race. but i would never belittle anyone because of their sexuality because that is being a *****y person, i would not treat someone differently because they are gay i see everyone equal. he said fair enough and then i asked if he thought i was homophobic or bigoted he said no as everyone is entitled to their opinions and im not mistreating homosexuals. but this lady overheard and started shouting about how i was homophobic everyone on the carriage heard and looked, made me feel like **** for having an opinion. on my way home i am homophobic ,i see homophobic people as bully and i dont think i am one . i wanna know if others feel the same way as the lady. btw im an atheist,not religious before anyone says im a sheep for following old books

Saying that you "don't agree with homosexuality" makes as much sense as "I don't agree with people being black".

Whether you choose to accept the fact or not, your sexual orientation is not a lifestyle choice - it's an intrinsic part of who you are, much the same as your sex, race, hair colour, eye colour, left/right-handedness, etc.

So, although I'm glad to hear that you would not belittle anyone because of their sexual orientation, your views are very ignorant nonetheless.

You are making a category mistake. Homosexuality isn't the sort of thing you can agree or disagree with. You can agree or disagree with an opinion or argument but homosexuality is neither of those. It just exists. It doesn't logically make sense to say that you disagree with homosexuality, to say that would be like saying that you disagree with grass.
Reply 64
i do think that you're entitled to your opinion, but yeah, by definition that is homophobia. Homophobia is just someone's opinion - it doesn't matter whether or not you actually discriminate against gay people.
Reply 65
Why do you care wht people think of your view point?
It doesnt make you a homophobe? If you called them dirty scoundrels who make jesus cry with their buggery, that would make you a homophobe.
Homophobia is the hatred or fear of homosexuals - that is, lesbians and gay men - sometimes leading to acts of violence and expressions of hostility. Homophobia is not confined to any one segment of society, and can be found in people from all walks of life.

you disagree, but dont hate or fear them therefore no. not agreeing and not liking are 2 different things
Original post by JamesManc
I don't agree with black people does that make me racist

This.

If it was this instead, everyone would be saying 'yes absolutely racist'.

Yes. If I said "I don't agree with heterosexuality, does this make me Heterophobic" people would laugh. It is a completely ridiculous thing to say. So, until being homosexual has the same reaction (i.e homophobia is seen as ridiculous) any negative view on it is homophobic. Now that isn't to say that you are, a lot of people who say "I don't agree with it because..." are generally misguided. I really really implore you to research into homosexuality and try and see it from their perspective. It is becoming more and more self evident that homosexuality is a biological fact, not a choice. It genuinely can't be helped and should be viewed as normal as heterosexuality. Finally, you say you aren't religious but your view that "men and women were made for each other" really is a biblical view. If you aren't religious I feel this argument has not place and is not valid.
Whilst I, as someone who isn't straight, do think your standpoint about repopulation is ridiculous, I wouldn't call you homophobic.... though that's a very borderline position I'm taking.
No.
You're entitled to have whatever opinions and feelings you want. As long as it doesn't manifest itself into violence then it's all fine. Although I am disappointed with the amount of fascists there are on this thread and tsr as a whole...because if you don't agree with what's currently acceptable, then your opinion is wrong; and they'll throw any appropriate-sounding buzzword to silence it. A shame to see this new generation grow up like this.
Original post by Inexorably
Whilst I, as someone who isn't straight, do think your standpoint about repopulation is ridiculous, I wouldn't call you homophobic.... though that's a very borderline position I'm taking.

You "wouldn't call him homophobic" yet you see his view as "ridiculous" and admit you are state you are taking a "borderline position". You are far to kind.
Original post by Ljayne89
You "wouldn't call him homophobic" yet you see his view as "ridiculous" and admit you are state you are taking a "borderline position". You are far to kind.

Lack of intelligence and being homophobic are different things.
Original post by Inexorably
Lack of intelligence and being homophobic are different things.

Without knowing his IQ, School/College/Uni performance and general cognitive ability you can't assume he lacks intelligence (although heavily misguided).
NO that doesn't make you homophobic.
By saying you don't agree, you're saying it's a choice. Which it's not.
Lol. Repopulate the Earth and everyone in the carriage shouting at you? I smell a troll.
No not agreeing with homosexuality does not make you homophobic, thats just an opinion. You would only be homophobic if you like mistreated them, looked down on them etc :smile:
Original post by Ollie231213
Saying that you "don't agree with homosexuality" makes as much sense as "I don't agree with people being black".

Whether you choose to accept the fact or not, your sexual orientation is not a lifestyle choice - it's an intrinsic part of who you are, much the same as your sex, race, hair colour, eye colour, left/right-handedness, etc.

So, although I'm glad to hear that you would not belittle anyone because of their sexual orientation, your views are very ignorant nonetheless.

Not really true.
Are you allowed to say that you don't agree with paedophilia? I'd imagine that you do say that you don't agree with paedophilia, so this is a contradiction to what you have said so basically we cannot trust anything else you may say.
finally what needed to be said has been said

Latest

Trending

Trending