The Student Room Group

What happens if I dont give my textbook back to sixth form?

I have quite a few textbooks to give back to my sixth form, but I literally cannot be bothered to go in and give them back. What can they actually do if I dont give them back, they said Ill be fined, but they cant exactly enforce that fine if Im not going there anymore right?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't be lazy, they're not yours and they might be used by poorer students.
Did you have to pay a deposit?
Reply 3
Original post by Emilycunningham
I have quite a few textbooks to give back to my sixth form, but I literally cannot be bothered to go in and give them back. What can they actually do if I dont give them back, they said Ill be fined, but they cant exactly enforce that fine if Im not going there anymore right?

Just give them textbooks back - Problem solved.

That would be theft.
They will probably send either you or your parents a bill.

The fact you cnat be bothered to go and give them backsays a lot about you and your respect for someone elses property.
They probably wont chase it up, but give them back anyway its not that hard
You'd get fined, that's what happened to my friend at my college this year..it was only a day late as well :/ but like what they said to us at L6 "you signed a code of conduct. .you abide by our rules' kinda thing. .. stupid really but.. oh well, I'd just give it back if I was you

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have to pay for the books
1) you would be a thief
2) you would be an *******
3) you would potentially be depriving other students of a textbook
If they have your parents bank account details they would probably take the money from there. Thats what my school said they would do anyway. I think you should return the books just in case.
Reply 10
Mercury crashes into Venus, America declares war on Texas, and everyone in China will jump at the same time, destroying us all.

DON'T DO IT.
Well, you probably won't go to jail. I mean, for all they know, you lost the book or it fell into the ocean. They can't prove you have it, and they probably don't even want to bother trying. But what they will do is ask your parents to pay for the cost of a new book. If they can't pay, then it will hurt their credit rating and there may be various attempts to collect the money by agencies.

I personally think that as long as you're willing to pay the school for the price of the books, it doesn't matter whether you keep them or not. I mean, they're probably better off with a new textbook than an old one anyway. But if you short-change them and don't give them the book or any money, that's unethical.
(edited 7 years ago)
Its bound to be soemthing that has happened before.
Parents likely to have signed soemthing regarding school rules.
Few letters asking for return .
Then fines.
Then debt collectors.
Reply 13
Just go and give them back, other students are going to need them. It won't be the hardest thing you've done, I'd think someone was a **** if they couldn't be bothered to return something that'd be useful for others... Selfish.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
That would be theft.
They will probably send either you or your parents a bill.

The fact you cnat be bothered to go and give them backsays a lot about you and your respect for someone elses property.

Not really.

Teachers can literally knock on your door - either demanding the payment of the fine or return of the books.

I'd just take them in.
Reply 16
Original post by Wisbey
Just do it, other students are going to need them. It won't be the hardest thing you've done, I'd think someone was a **** if they couldn't be bothered to return something that'd be useful for others... Selfish.

Missing a "don't"?
Reply 17
Original post by jneill
Missing a "don't"?

Aha! Yes, sorry... I was getting carried away to the Spotify music.
dont be a lazy *****
give them back
Worst case scenario, they send a letter requesting either return or payment. But there's nothing AFAIK that they can actually do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending