The Student Room Group

When should I start my revison?

I am taking my GCSEs next year in 2017 and I'm not sure when to start revising or even how to properly.

If it helps here are my subjects that I picked:
Business & communication systems (AQA)
Graphics (OCR)
Computing (OCR)
History (OCR)

Ps. What is the best way to revise for maths apart from past papers?
Start making light notes around Jan on the content you've covered in class. Then at Feb half term aim to finish most of your notes. This leaves you 2-3 months of past papers which is more than you need. In term of maths, all you need is past papers and that's it imo
Reply 2
I started at Easter holidays and did 1-2 hours a day from there most days, sometimes accounting friday as a rest day. When doing my exams i felt fine answering all the questions so that revision was enougg for me, but it's different person to person
Reply 3
Original post by HopelessMedic
Start making light notes around Jan on the content you've covered in class. Then at Feb half term aim to finish most of your notes. This leaves you 2-3 months of past papers which is more than you need. In term of maths, all you need is past papers and that's it imo

Thanks.

The only problem for maths is that I am the first year group to take the new maths GCSE edexcel. I've tried specimen papers already and have a tutor.

Do you have any notes for maths laying around that I could see?
A day before the exams. GCSEs are pretty easy. Try to get some work experience in your spare time or summer internships meanwhile. It will look good on your CV. Also, think about what career you want to do in the future and start planning towarda that goal.
Original post by Jack_Tomlin
Thanks.

The only problem for maths is that I am the first year group to take the new maths GCSE edexcel. I've tried specimen papers already and have a tutor.

Do you have any notes for maths laying around that I could see?

Unfortunately not for GCSE. However once you've gone thro the textbook start the old past papers as the content will likely be very similar
I would say make sure you understand every topic after you finish learning them but don't start revision too early as people burn out. Most people revised so much for the first few exams and then did nothing for the last few. Don't end up doing this!
I would say week before would be fine
Reply 8
Original post by Jack_Tomlin
I am taking my GCSEs next year in 2017 and I'm not sure when to start revising or even how to properly.

If it helps here are my subjects that I picked:
Business & communication systems (AQA)
Graphics (OCR)
Computing (OCR)
History (OCR)

Ps. What is the best way to revise for maths apart from past papers?

Starting at the Easter holidays will give you plenty of time. What exam board are you with for maths?

[QUOTE="niv1234;66298404"]I would say make sure you understand every topic after you finish learning them but don't start revision too early as people burn out. Most people revised so much for the first few exams and then did nothing for the last few. Don't end up doing this![/QUOTE]

This is so true. Make sure you revise everything in equal amounts.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
[QUOTE="luciie;66305800"]Starting at the Easter holidays will give you plenty of time. What exam board are you with for maths?

Original post by niv1234
I would say make sure you understand every topic after you finish learning them but don't start revision too early as people burn out. Most people revised so much for the first few exams and then did nothing for the last few. Don't end up doing this![/QUOTE]

This is so true. Make sure you revise everything in equal amounts.

Edexcel for maths
Reply 10
Feb half term so you actually have a life from april to june as you won't have to cram
Reply 11
[QUOTE="Jack_Tomlin;66306380"]
Original post by luciie
Starting at the Easter holidays will give you plenty of time. What exam board are you with for maths?

Edexcel for maths

I found these channels really helpful :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTr7jsVuqZdRJDe2Nnvnxvw/playlists
https://www.youtube.com/c/achievemathscouk/playlists
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrJefferyMaths/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/hegartymaths/videos
Don't think work experience is as important as doing well in your exams. You can do all that in summer or early in term.

Should leave yourself the day at least( I did that for about 10 exams).

It all depends on what grades you're aiming for. If you're aiming for all As and A*s, I would say March is the best time for revision. Focus on your coursework though- it's the reason why I wasn't worried for a lot of exams as I did well in them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
A day before each exam should be sufficient
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Don't think work experience is as important as doing well in your exams. You can do all that in summer or early in term.

Should leave yourself the day at least( I did that for about 10 exams).

It all depends on what grades you're aiming for. If you're aiming for all As and A*s, I would say March is the best time for revision. Focus on your coursework though- it's the reason why I wasn't worried for a lot of exams as I did well in them.

Yes it really is.

I graduate from uni next year and I know for a fact employers won't care if I got 4 GCSE's or 11. They need people with experiences. GCSE's really aren't that big of a deal. You can still get into college/sixth form with mediocre grades and take your A-Levels.
Original post by Novascope
Yes it really is.

I graduate from uni next year and I know for a fact employers won't care if I got 4 GCSE's or 11. They need people with experiences. GCSE's really aren't that big of a deal. You can still get into college/sixth form with mediocre grades and take your A-Levels.

Obviously at the stage you're at GCSEs will seem irrelevant as you'll have a degree, but you need GCSEs to get on to that degree.

I didn't say that work experience was irrelevant, I even said they should do it early on in the term. But I don't think you should let work experience compromise academic success( e.g later on in the term), as there's a lot of time for that later.

Employers will care about the classification of your degree and where's it from. And if you got a 2:1 degree from say Manchester it's pretty much a given you'll have more than 4 GCSEs...
Anyway at University there are much more opportunities to get experience anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest