The Student Room Group

Is sociology or psychology a better A level?

I've just finished my GCSE's and I am deciding on what A levels to take.
I am decided on Religious Studies, but i'm not sure if I should do history and sociology or psychology and media studies.

I don't want to do both sociology and psychology as I've been told they are similar.

Most of my friends are doing psychology but I think I prefer the sound of sociology and history (which is in the same column as psychology) However, I want to do Religion and Theology with a year abroad at Bristol Uni which requires AAB or ABB. I'm scared I wont get this high of a mark especially in history, so would I be better choosing easier subjects?

as good as history sounds I'm scared it will be too hard as I feel I've only got a c in GCSE (b at most) as I didn't revise at all basically.

Any help with anything said would be amazing, thank you!
Original post by Eleri26
I've just finished my GCSE's and I am deciding on what A levels to take.
I am decided on Religious Studies, but i'm not sure if I should do history and sociology or psychology and media studies.

I don't want to do both sociology and psychology as I've been told they are similar.

Most of my friends are doing psychology but I think I prefer the sound of sociology and history (which is in the same column as psychology) However, I want to do Religion and Theology with a year abroad at Bristol Uni which requires AAB or ABB. I'm scared I wont get this high of a mark especially in history, so would I be better choosing easier subjects?

as good as history sounds I'm scared it will be too hard as I feel I've only got a c in GCSE (b at most) as I didn't revise at all basically.

Any help with anything said would be amazing, thank you!

I'd say to do religion Sociology would be better - I just finished A2 and there was a Beliefs section but there isn't always. As for History, I didn't do it but I've heard it is hard.
Reply 2
Original post by emiloujess
I'd say to do religion Sociology would be better - I just finished A2 and there was a Beliefs section but there isn't always. As for History, I didn't do it but I've heard it is hard.

Thanks for the reply! Any idea what subject would be easier than history? But still a good option for the route id like to take.
I have just finished my History A-Level, with a decent grade at AS and a hopefully decent one at A2! Fingers crossed. So feel free to drop me a PM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eleri26
Thanks for the reply! Any idea what subject would be easier than history? But still a good option for the route id like to take.

I wouldn't take subjects just because they are 'easy'... If you take one of those so-called subjects but don't enjoy it you will likely find it much harder. If you enjoy History, take History but revise this time :wink:

What other options have you got? :smile:
Lots of advice here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_guide_to_choosing_your_sixth-form_subjects

And if you need to start thinking about Uni subjects : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20649-I-want-to-go-to-uni-but-I-dont-know-what-to-study

Read the whole article. And do some careful thinking.
Sociology and psychology are both good a levels. But sociology tends to be seen as easier/softer than psychology by universities. Psychology has more maths involved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
the best a-level subject is the one you have most passion and enthusiasm for, physical education could be better for you than mathematics if those rules apply.

You said you want to study abroad so a language would be really good - french, german, italian, latin, greek?

Classics, history, literature, modern languages, philosophy.

You could focus on the ancient aspects or maybe the modern aspects of religion such as it's role in society and the politics of religion in a globalised world?

What could you do with a degree in this subject and might you consider a joint degree?

Far out thoughts might be business studies as religion involves a lot of charity work so could be helpful!
Just looking on the Bristol University department for Religion and Theology..

The study abroad year could be at Ruprecht-Karls-Universitat Heidelberg which is the Oxford of Germany.

So German could be one to focus on if you wanted to put your eggs in one basket, and plus you could also study at Karl-Franzens-Universitat in Austria if not Heidelberg.

All the rest of the exchanges are taught in english. Trinity College Dublin would be an amazing place to study!

Also, history of art would be really useful for this degree.
If you didn't revise history but still think you could've got like a B then surely if you revised you'd be good at it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest