The Student Room Group

Brexit: Northern towns are poor because they are not welcoming to migrants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FredOrJohn
I work with Migrants - mainly Indian and Nigerian.
The reason I am "rich" (compared to UKIP voters) is because migrants are welcome in the IT industry in and around London.

When migrants are no longer welcome we will end up poor, like the areas that voter UKIP. There is a direct relationship to wealth and getting lots of new people coming to your area.

That is the reason why the EU is so popular in Scotland. They know the way to wealth is to be welcome to new comers , inviting, actually want them to come.

That is why this is national disaster. To many people like you have been deluded by your own isolation and small mindedness into voting BREXIT.

We are actually living in a national disaster.

The North being poorer has got nothing to do with migrants numbers. It's down to a chronic lack of investment following de-industrialisation.

The highly skilled migrants you're talking about flock to London precisely because of the opportunities that exist there because of investment. Why would an Indian Software Developer move to a mill town with no IT industry?
(edited 7 years ago)
Like everyone else, migrants pay taxes when they work but also have money spent on them in welfare and when they use public services and the National Health Service. The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), which analyses the UK’s public finances, makes the assumption for forecasting purposes that, because migrants are likely to be of working age when they arrive, they will make a more positive contribution to public finances than the overall population which obviously includes a large number of older retired people. This assumption means that they forecast that high levels of net migration would result in a slightly faster drop in the UK's debt to GDP ratio over the next twenty years than would otherwise be the case. However, the debt to GDP ratio would then start to rise again because migrants will themselves age and push up public spending by their increasing use of the health service and in pension costs.

The OBR admits
"higher migration could be seen as delaying some of the fiscal challenges of an ageing population rather than a way of avoiding them"
http://budgetresponsibility.org.uk/fsr/fiscal-sustainability-report-july-2012/

Mass immigration is not the answer to an aging population because migrants get old too. A Ponzi Scheme of ever increasing levels of net migration to try to constrain the dependency ratio of working age to non-working age people cannot be truly sustainable in the long term.

In addition, there are question marks over the OBR’s assumption that working age migrants are bound to benefit to public finances. There is wide variation in the economic performance of migrants. Those in high-skilled, high paid jobs will make a positive contribution but those in low-paid work who pay little tax are unlikely to do so. The official statistics from the ONS on the effect of taxes and benefits on household income show that families with children in the lower half of the income distribution are all net recipients of government spending by a considerable amount. Therefore, the contribution of immigration to public finances depends on migrants’ economic performance in the labour market, not just on the number of migrants in the UK.
Reply 62
Scottish welcome:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/real-life/meet-trio-migrants-who-enjoyed-7040102#4rssAS0kms4KYX5M.97

London and the USA and Austrialia and Canada are amongst the richest places on planet earth because they are are built on and welcome immigration.

The poverty in Russia or Pakistan or Iran or North Korea is directly related to how unwelcome/unsafe foreigners feel there.
Reply 63
Original post by David0015
Like everyone else, migrants pay taxes when they work but also have money spent on them in welfare and when they use public services and the National Health Service. The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), which analyses the UK’s public finances, makes the assumption for forecasting purposes that, because migrants are likely to be of working age when they arrive, they will make a more positive contribution to public finances than the overall population which obviously includes a large number of older retired people. This assumption means that they forecast that high levels of net migration would result in a slightly faster drop in the UK's debt to GDP ratio over the next twenty years than would otherwise be the case. However, the debt to GDP ratio would then start to rise again because migrants will themselves age and push up public spending by their increasing use of the health service and in pension costs.

The OBR admits
"higher migration could be seen as delaying some of the fiscal challenges of an ageing population rather than a way of avoiding them"
http://budgetresponsibility.org.uk/fsr/fiscal-sustainability-report-july-2012/

Mass immigration is not the answer to an aging population because migrants get old too. A Ponzi Scheme of ever increasing levels of net migration to try to constrain the dependency ratio of working age to non-working age people cannot be truly sustainable in the long term.

In addition, there are question marks over the OBR’s assumption that working age migrants are bound to benefit to public finances. There is wide variation in the economic performance of migrants. Those in high-skilled, high paid jobs will make a positive contribution but those in low-paid work who pay little tax are unlikely to do so. The official statistics from the ONS on the effect of taxes and benefits on household income show that families with children in the lower half of the income distribution are all net recipients of government spending by a considerable amount. Therefore, the contribution of immigration to public finances depends on migrants’ economic performance in the labour market, not just on the number of migrants in the UK.

You care assuming migrants will stay in the UK when a lot will move back to their countries of origin when they retire. But there is a perverse incentive of Brexit that makes migrants stay in Britain when they would otherwise have moved to a different EU country because if they leave, it would be harder for them to return. If there was free movement of people, migrants in Britain could move to other EU countries and move back if the want without the risk they might not be allowed back.

Migrants being adults will not use schools although their children will but you still get a lot of people who have not cost the country any money to educate or used health services growing up. This means even if their earnings are low enough to qualify for in work benefits, its still cheaper than natives in the same jobs who have used education and health services growing up.
(edited 7 years ago)
I work with Migrants - mainly Indian and Nigerian.
The reason I am "rich" (compared to UKIP voters) is because migrants are welcome in the IT industry in and around London.

When migrants are no longer welcome we will end up poor, like the areas that voter UKIP. There is a direct relationship to wealth and getting lots of new people coming to your area.

That is the reason why the EU is so popular in Scotland. They know the way to wealth is to be welcome to new comers , inviting, actually want them to come.

That is why this is national disaster. To many people like you have been deluded by your own isolation and small mindedness into voting BREXIT.

We are actually living in a national disaster.

That might be the only logical thing youve said in this entire thread, 'There is a direct relationship to wealth and getting lots of new people coming to your area.'

Except i dont think you understand that the wealth comes first, the reason london succeeds when allowing mass migration is because of its wealth and job prospects. Thats great but northern cities dont have the amount of jobs that london does, hence migration in these location simply creates competition for jobs and poverty.

London isnt wealthy because of migration, yes migration creates more workers to earn more money when the market is there, but when its not there it creates competition/poverty.

Migration is great when it is necessarry but when its not necessarry it creates crime/poverty.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/real-life/meet-trio-migrants-who-enjoyed-7040102#4rssAS0kms4KYX5M.97

London and the USA and Austrialia and Canada are amongst the richest places on planet earth because they are are built on and welcome immigration.

The poverty in Russia or Pakistan or Iran or North Korea is directly related to how unwelcome/unsafe foreigners feel there.

[QUOTE="FredOrJohn;66287550"]Scottish welcome:

They're rich because they're rich, migrants go there because of job opportunities, migrants do increase wealth but only when opportunities are there. Do you honestly think sending migrants over to Greece would save there economy? Also voting leave doesn't imply your anti-immigration, it can imply your anti (this method) of immigration. I actually like Australia's policies on migration.
Scottish welcome:

Oh mate you're so dumb it's funny

Posted from TSR Mobile
More desperation. I already told you FredorJohn, we can be in the EEA and have free movement, but we can still leave the EU and not give away our democracy for good. Are you unaware of this?, It seems many many remainers are and would have our democratic freedoms obliterated for good in the name of this apparently, shiny, loving, lefty cause.
Northern towns are poor because London drains wealth like a leech, and because immigrants are searched for deliberately to push wages lower and lower for the benefit of the corporates.
This thread is BS. Stop lying.
Original post by DauntlessOne
Immigrants, immigrants, immigrants, that's all I ever hear the remain voters brand leave voters with. There are a ton of different reasons people, even the rich, voted leave. One such reason and I could give you a dozen more is, the fact that the European Union is run by a group of unelected, undemocratic beauracrats consistently interfering in over countries business and that's not just towards the UK either. The European Union started as a trade arrangement and now it's turned into a political superstate, governed by Brussels and its unelected beauracrats, determined to bring, as they put it "ever closer union", into a quite frankly deteriorating organisation, of 27 other countries each pulling in the opposite direction to one another. If you really want your country to remain in this mess, then you need a SERIOUS reality check. No offence intended.

I'd say that at least 75% of Leave voters had immigration as one of their primary motivations. The undemocratic nature of the EU was not on the forefront of most people's minds, the main problem people had with it is that they felt it eroded British sovereignty. I don't think they would have cared at all if they found out (as is the case) that the EU is actually not hugely undemocratic compared to any other federal system in the world (the USA for instance), they just had a problem with Europeans deciding British policy full stop, even if said Europeans were the entire voting population of Europe.

And as regards wanting Britain to remain in the EU, that's a bit of a moot point now isn't it, we've already left.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Well, you are going to be poor anyway, so it doesn't make a difference what migrants do.*

well I want my Town to be english bot the United Global Convention in my town youd be shocked it england and not Bangladesh
Original post by Copperknickers
I'd say that at least 75% of Leave voters had immigration as one of their primary motivations. The undemocratic nature of the EU was not on the forefront of most people's minds, the main problem people had with it is that they felt it eroded British sovereignty. I don't think they would have cared at all if they found out (as is the case) that the EU is actually not hugely undemocratic compared to any other federal system in the world (the USA for instance), they just had a problem with Europeans deciding British policy full stop, even if said Europeans were the entire voting population of Europe.

And as regards wanting Britain to remain in the EU, that's a bit of a moot point now isn't it, we've already left.

Not fully, parliament has to formally notify the EU of Britains departure from the EU. I believe it's article 50 of the Lisbon treaty we have to put into action.
Reply 72
Panorama gave some insights on why people voted the way they did.
If you want to understand it will be difficult if you live in comfortable circumstances
This thread is outstandingly stupid.
Original post by NerradCFCB
well I want my Town to be english bot the United Global Convention in my town youd be shocked it england and not Bangladesh

A racist Englisman who can't write English telling the non-English that they should leave. Maybe, you need to sort your own house out.
Original post by NJA
Panorama gave some insights on why people voted the way they did.
If you want to understand it will be difficult if you live in comfortable circumstances

What does the circumstances of living have to do with why you would vote out?
Reply 76
Original post by JamesN88
The North being poorer has got nothing to do with migrants numbers. It's down to a chronic lack of investment following de-industrialisation.

The highly skilled migrants you're talking about flock to London precisely because of the opportunities that exist there because of investment. Why would an Indian Software Developer move to a mill town with no IT industry?

Nope - The reason places become rich is that the invite and want people to come. Investment is part and parcel of wanting people to come.
Reply 77
Original post by Copperknickers

Ashcroft Poll analysis - main reason given by Leavers:

1. (Sovereignty) Nearly half (49%) of leave voters said the biggest single reason for wanting to leave the EU was “the principle that decisions about the UK should be taken in the UK”.

2. (Immigration) One third (33%) said the main reason was that leaving “offered the best chance for the UK to regain control over immigration and its own borders.”

3. (EU expansion) Just over one in eight (13%) said remaining would mean having no choice “about how the EU expanded its membership or its powers in the years ahead.”*

4. (Economy) Only just over one in twenty (6%) said their main reason was that “when it comes to trade and the economy, the UK would benefit more from being outside the EU than from being part of it.”

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by DorianGrayism
What does the circumstances of living have to do with why you would vote out?

The grass is greener...

...except when it isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by NerradCFCB

*not
#SpellCheckARacist

BTW Bangladesh is not in the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending