The Student Room Group

Education

What are the current issues of education?
This for starters:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education

A quick google reveals more.
Reply 2
Just grab a newspaper and read the education section ....

If it's to do with primary education then you could talk about the overhaul ofthe new testing and how standards have slipped compared to previous years
Reply 3
what about for secondary education?
Original post by meme12
What are the current issues of education?

There are lot of them. Some of them are:

- too rigid shedule to learn individually.
- some teachers are incapable of teaching => bad tacher education
- too little aids for people with handicaps (blind students, deaf students...)

I will write another reasons for issues down, if another ones come into my mind.
Reply 5
Thank you, what about the strike? budget cut next year and increase class size ?
Reply 6
what about high universities fees which make students not encouraged to go into higher education and as a result less educated people.
Original post by meme12
what about high universities fees which make students not encouraged to go into higher education and as a result less educated people.

Fees are not paid up front or even seen by the student due to student finance. Repayments are then taxed from the graduates salary if they earn over £21k p.a.

No one can not afford to attend university
Well, judging by my school days and where I'm at now in college I'd say several things. Number one, if you don't get on well with a teacher and vice versa, they could mess up your entire school life through bad student reports, such as misjudging your academic level, causing you to be in lower class sets (like what happened to me). Secondly, school systems are to heavily based around exams, even in primary school, which is stupid because when your in primary school, you don't care about doing well in school yet, because we're not mature yet, or have the drive to achieve well academically either and SATS results are taken too seriously, if you do poorly, you're screwed. Thirdly and no offence to them but a lot of the teacher I had in school were foreign and didn't even speak coherent English, which leads to poor education. Lastly, there is a serious lack in funding to state run schools and it's been that way for some time, I remember in science classes having crusty old science books, full of profanity and racial slurs.

That's what I think anyway. Oh and teachers are lazy, vindictive and not passionate about the job they do. They are always complaining about salaries and workload, which in modern times, compared to other jobs, really isn't as bad as they make out.
Reply 9
Original post by super_kawaii
Fees are not paid up front or even seen by the student due to student finance. Repayments are then taxed from the graduates salary if they earn over £21k p.a.

No one can not afford to attend university

believe me I met some people who said to me they prefer to start a job after school rather than go into university and end up with debt
Original post by meme12
believe me I met some people who said to me they prefer to start a job after school rather than go into university and end up with debt

That's a personal choice-they're not being priced out of it. If they wanted to go to university, they could have.

It's not debt, it's a graduate tax. You cannot be declared bankrupt, have your home repossessed or have your credit rating affected if you don't pay back your student loan in full, unlike other loans. You are only taxed 9% of your salary over £21k, so if you earn £22k, you will only be taxed £90 a month! Also, if you do not pay off your student loan within 30 years, it is written off completely.

My point remains, no one can not afford to attend university
Reply 11
Original post by super_kawaii
That's a personal choice-they're not being priced out of it. If they wanted to go to university, they could have.

It's not debt, it's a graduate tax. You cannot be declared bankrupt, have your home repossessed or have your credit rating affected if you don't pay back your student loan in full, unlike other loans. You are only taxed 9% of your salary over £21k, so if you earn £22k, you will only be taxed £90 a month! Also, if you do not pay off your student loan within 30 years, it is written off completely.

My point remains, no one can not afford to attend university

I agree with you and education is important.
Reply 12
Parents.
Ask Jaden Smith.
Original post by meme12

High university fees in general, as it is mostly an obstacle for young people to study what they want to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending