The Student Room Group

Career Options for someone who is interested in both media and science?

Hi guys,
I've just finished my AS levels in Bio, Chem, Maths and Media Studies and im extremely passionate about film and television production (thats what i want to take up at uni) but my parents think that it will be difficult to find work and suggested i do it as a hobby once i get a degree in something sciencey. I was wondering what careers I could have if i took bio, math and media as my a2 subjects. Also does anyone have advice on what to do? I was going to do medicine but the stress has been putting me off doing work experience and the ukcat this summer.

Thanks!
Joyce
I think you need to decide what sort of person you are. Media is certainly a lively occupation, but competition to get in is fierce and many end up working for free with little or no hope of getting paid work. On the flip side, you have science / engineering jobs which are well paid and plentiful, but require focus and attention to detail, or not as social and vibrant but will give you the money and time in order to allow you to do the things in life you enjoy.

One word of warning though - there are a gazillion biology graduates that don't work in biology. I find it telling that all the science teacher trainees I have met during my initial teacher training inductions are biology grads. There are openings for biologists, but they are highly competitive.

Personally, I have always gone out of my way to choose unpopular paths. The idea of competing for something you might not ever get just seems futile to me. But each to their own.

Good luck.
science journalism
Original post by tanyapotter
science journalism

This^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Astral
Hi guys,
I've just finished my AS levels in Bio, Chem, Maths and Media Studies and im extremely passionate about film and television production (thats what i want to take up at uni) but my parents think that it will be difficult to find work and suggested i do it as a hobby once i get a degree in something sciencey. I was wondering what careers I could have if i took bio, math and media as my a2 subjects. Also does anyone have advice on what to do? I was going to do medicine but the stress has been putting me off doing work experience and the ukcat this summer.

Thanks!
Joyce

As someone who's thinking of doing this after my PhD, I would recommend getting a good science degree and working on your ECs that will have a focus on media and communications (such as writing for your uni newspaper, getting media work experience and getting involved with science societies (such as the royal meteorological society) in terms of volunteering and events. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending