The Student Room Group

Graduate finance

Hey guys, so i'm applying for graduate medicine for next year, i know i can apply for a loan to cover the rest of my tuition fees but what about maintenance loans?
Original post by acook59
Hey guys, so i'm applying for graduate medicine for next year, i know i can apply for a loan to cover the rest of my tuition fees but what about maintenance loans?

You get a maintenance loan as normal in the 1st year of gem, but be aware that it is substantially reduced thereafter- you can apply to the nhs for a bursary in years 2-4 which closes the gap somewhat but doesn't usually make up the full difference :frown:

The fees loan only covers £5.5k- you need to find the other £3.5k ish yourself in first year, in subsequent years the NHS covers this too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by JenniB22
You get a maintenance loan as normal in the 1st year of gem, but be aware that it is substantially reduced thereafter- you can apply to the nhs for a bursary in years 2-4 which closes the gap somewhat but doesn't usually make up the full difference :frown:

The fees loan only covers £5.5k- you need to find the other £3.5k ish yourself in first year, in subsequent years the NHS covers this too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok and u get the maintenance loan from student finance England? How can u find out how much it is in each of the years?
Original post by acook59
Ok and u get the maintenance loan from student finance England? How can u find out how much it is in each of the years?

If you google "graduate entry medicine finance" you'll get various results from different Med schools which give an outline, but it's means tested so does depend on your income (or your parents')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Ok so if i'm working independently but my single parent is not, do i get more?
Original post by acook59

There are various requirements. If you've supported yourself for at least 3 years or are 25 or over you are deemed independent and sfe calculate your loan based on that, so you get the full amount. Otherwise it's based on your parents.

The NHS requirements are slightly different, and only based on the 3 years self support- age doesn't count.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by acook59

You get the full maintance loan in first year, same as the undergrads, on account of being old. :tongue:

I got 8500(ish)this year for first year at notts
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
That's good. I imagine i'd get all of it, cos i support myself, but it hasn't been for three years and my mom doesn't work so guess that'll be that. Least i can lease a decent car then to commute to uni rather than the rust bucket i have now lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending