The Student Room Group

Why did you choose Chemistry?

Hello chemists,

If you're doing/have done chemistry at A-Level or above, me and @The Learn Ranger want to know why you picked it, and what you love about it.

You don't have to write loads, but we thought up a few questions to get you going :groovy:

What does chemistry involve?

How does A-Level differ from GCSE?

How are you assessed?

What skills have you developed?

What does doing chemistry lead to, either in careers or further education?

We're thinking about writing a little piece on why people chose particular subjects - if we use any of your answers you will be credited :biggrin:
I picked chemistry at A level because I wanted to apply for chemistry at uni.. (which I did :biggrin:)
I didn't do GCSE because I'm from abroad, so when I arrived in the UK I started with AS chemistry straight away, but looking at GCSE papers/syllabuses A level offers a lot more in both practicals and theory so I think there's a big gap. (Probably GCSES should be made slightly harder?? I've seen so many GCSE A* students struggling with A level chemistry, it was just too difficult compared to GCSEs)
So I think chemistry is about solving mysteries and answering unanswered questions (like most of the natural sciences). I don't want to have an industrial job or one in a factory, I'd like to stay at a university and do research but I'm aware chemistry opens up loads of opportunities: forensics, pharmaceuticals etc..
What skills have I developed? At A level I've learnt to memorise mark schemes by heart, really.
Reply 2
Because I wanted to do Chemical Engineering and now I actually don't but oh well
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Quit chemistry A-level after 2 weeks. Couldn't understand any of it tbh - just completely confused me
Original post by Fox Corner
Hello chemists,

If you're doing/have done chemistry at A-Level or above, me and @The Learn Ranger want to know why you picked it, and what you love about it.

You don't have to write loads, but we thought up a few questions to get you going :groovy:

How are you assessed?

We're thinking about writing a little piece on why people chose particular subjects - if we use any of your answers you will be credited :biggrin:

Hey there Fox Corner

I chose to study Chemistry at university level because it was the only real subject that still interested me after a-levels and because doing a softer science at degree would lead to less jobs, the skills you gain in chemistry can be pretty much transferred directly into employment, especially if it's of a lab based nature.

At university you study a variety of different topics, there are many branches of the chemis-tree! Green chemistry, organic synthetic chemistry, organometallics, physical chemistry, inorganic chemistry and of course analytical chemistry all come to mind.

A-Level differs from GCSE is that there is more emphasis on mathematical ability than GCSE, a lot more definitions to learn and a lot more equations to use. Don't let that put you off though, it's mostly just re-arranging equations and the like

We are assessed through a variety of different methods, powerpoint presentation, coursework and exams

I have definitely developed my skills to work with numbers since a-level and I've learnt a lot about synthesizing compounds themselves and then identifying them from various methods such as H-NMR, IR etc

Studying chemistry can open a variety of doors for you, for example, most graduate schemes will recruit you if you have a 2:1 or above, that includes becoming a pilot, manager or accountant. More specific job roles include analytical chemist, research scientists and pharmacologist. Then of course there's always teaching you can fall back on if nothing else. Work experience is key here, aswell as strong drive and determination.
Reply 5
Original post by fefssdf
Quit chemistry A-level after 2 weeks. Couldn't understand any of it tbh - just completely confused me

Do you think this was because ti was very different from what you'd experienced at GCSE?
Reply 6
Do you think this was because ti was very different from what you'd experienced at GCSE?

GCSE you can just remember the facts but alevel you have to understand what's going on, and my teacher wasn't the best so that's another factor but the main issue was just the concepts I really couldn't get my head around lol
Reply 7
I regret choosing A-Level Chemistry :bawling:
Hello chemists,

How are you assessed?

medicine .o.

Latest