The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

does not agreeing with homosexuality make me homophobic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmileyVibe
How is the OP homophobic? He was asked a question based on his opinions on a topic and he was honest about it! So, OP should have lied and pretended he liked homosexuality just to avoid being labeled homophobic? Not everyone likes homosexuality or has to like homosexuality. Its not part of the law, Its against the law to inflect harm on someone for their sexuality or use gay slurs but it isn't against the law for having an opinion that against the majority or minority. How does having a different opinion on homosexuality personally affecting anyone's life? Its like saying you have a negative opinion on a specific actress/actor therefore you're affecting my daily life because of your negative opinion, and have hatred stored in your heart because of that opinion.

It's not against the law up to a certain level, but to voice your opinion and display your dislike for one's sexuality is a low lower than the ground.

You're also missing the fact, as everyone with your view does, that opinions can be criticised. Just like one can voice their opinion against something, in the same way someone else can blast them. Them basic rights be too much eh :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jake4198
Not agreeing with homosexuality does not make you homophobic, as much as the left might want you to believe that. Discriminating against or holding unfounded views about gay people, however, is homophobic. If being against homosexuality makes you homophobic then being against Islam makes you Islamaphobic.

But it's the whole 'not agreeing' thing that doesn't make sense. It's the same as someone saying 'I don't agree with being black' or I don't agree with being a woman'. Homosexuality is not something that can be agreed or disagreed with. To suggest that you don't 'agree' with someone's existence as if it's a lifestyle or choice is homophobic.
Original post by Grand High Witch
Could you (presumably as a straight person) choose to become sexually aroused by a member of the same sex right now?

Yeah, change sex. Then I'd be attracted to the same sex, so I would've changed my sexuality from straight to gay - no?
Original post by King_ajk
I don't agree with homosexuality but am I homophobic?

I guess the first question is whether or not you think homosexuality is a choice? Secondly, do you disagree with the fact that they are homosexual, or do you disagree with homosexual relationships? Also do you wish to have laws implemented to ban homosexual relationships, or do you have a live and let live attitude?

i believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race

Would you then be against the act of masturbation or the use of contraception as that could be argued to also prevent repopulation? Also, you do realise we are at a stage where our planet is arguably overpopulated, in which case the population argument is rather redundant?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by theBranicAc
so now people can't express their opinion? just because others won't agree with it? We have free will,so why should that stop us giving our opinion as long as its not hateful?

i dont know what the op was achieving when he said that, but maybe he just wanted to give his opinion on the topic, it doesn't necessary need to achieve any impact,

No, you cannot express an opinion if it incites hatred. That is illegal. Now, in this particular, it is really just an opinion.
Original post by KittyAnneR
By saying you don't agree, you're saying it's a choice. Which it's not.

By not agreeing with paedophilia, are you saying it's a choice too?
I don't agree with homosexuality but am I homophobic?

It really depends on your reasoning OP.

Homosexuality is a preference, like preferring strawberry to chocolate ice cream. If I were to say "I don't agree with people liking strawberry ice cream", but I couldn't give a reason why, my view would be unreasonable. "Strawberry-phobic" if you like.

You might have views against other people's preferences. For example, I don't like smoking even though I don't do it and it doesn't really affect me. But here I could argue it harms other people and puts a health burden on the population. So my logic is harm. So what is your reason for "disagreeing" with homosexuality?
you're homophobic, genius. "disagreeing" with something someone can't control and was born with isn't having an opinion. it's being an intolerant, discriminating, awful person. if you don't want to be called those things, don't "disagree" with homosexuality.
Homosexuality is not something to agree or disagree with. It's like asking 'am I racist for not agreeing with being black?' lawl
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tanyapotter
you're homophobic, genius. "disagreeing" with something someone can't control and was born with isn't having an opinion. it's being an intolerant, discriminating, awful person. if you don't want to be called those things, don't "disagree" with homosexuality.

:rofl:
By definition yes, but you don't have to agree with homosexuality if you don't agree with it, that's up to you.
Reply 111
I don't think so. "Disagreeing" with homosexuality is not the same as not accepting homosexuality, imo. I think as long as you respect it, and don't hold prejudice to anyone who swings that way then you're fine - the man you talked to didn't seem too bothered, i can only assume you had a decent eye-to-eye convo with them.

And as a quick sidenote: homosexuality is natural. It's just as natural as straight relationships. And it doesn't only apply to the human species.
Original post by Arima
I don't think so. "Disagreeing" with homosexuality is not the same as not accepting homosexuality, imo. I think as long as you respect it, and don't hold prejudice to anyone who swings that way then you're fine - the man you talked to didn't seem too bothered, i can only assume you had a decent eye-to-eye convo with them.

And as a quick sidenote: homosexuality is natural. It's just as natural as straight relationships. And it doesn't only apply to the human species.

So "disagreeing" with a certain race is fine as long as you're accepting of it, too, I assume? Since it's natural?
If you disagree with homosexuality it is not that you are homophobic. It more depends on how you act. If you don't like it but you accept it then it is fine. If you disagree and say that it shouldn't exist or people go against what should be or whatever if they are, then you are being homophobic and belittling people even if you do not think you are.

From what you wrote I would say no. People are entitled to their opinion so as long as you don't belittle people because of it or tell them it's unnatural, you're fine. Odds are, that lady didn't even hear the whole thing and assumed.
Original post by chazwomaq
By not agreeing with paedophilia, are you saying it's a choice too?

Why do people keep on comparig paedophilia with homosexiality? A relationship between two consenting adults is different to abuse of child.

Being attracted to the same sex and beig attracted to children are both NOT choices. But acting on those feelings is what makes the difference.
Reply 115
You are not born as a homosexual , it's not inherited , there's no gay gene it's a choice and you cannot compare it to skin colour as you are born with that

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are not born as a homosexual , it's not inherited , there's no gay gene it's a choice and you cannot compare it to skin colour as you are born with that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not being born with it doesn't make it a choice. The potential involvement of environmental factors doesn't make it a choice. This unfairly compares homosexuality with something clearly negative, but, for the purposes of analogy, it's like saying having a personality disorder is a choice. You aren't born with it; it is largely a consequence of environment, but you don't choose it.
Original post by Ano9901whichone
Not really true.
Are you allowed to say that you don't agree with paedophilia? I'd imagine that you do say that you don't agree with paedophilia, so this is a contradiction to what you have said so basically we cannot trust anything else you may say.

Homosexuality and paedophilia are NOT comparable. One is a sexual orientation, the other is a psychiatric disorder.
Original post by KittyAnneR
Why do people keep on comparig paedophilia with homosexiality?

We're not. We're analyzing the underlying logic of the arguments to see if they're sound. If you change your tune once it's a sexual practice you disagree with, your logic was shaky.
Reply 119
Original post by tanyapotter
So "disagreeing" with a certain race is fine as long as you're accepting of it, too, I assume? Since it's natural?

I see your point; but disagreeing in OP's case is in accordance to personal belief, they aren't denying the existence of homosexuality nor do they believe that anyone is "superior" or inferior based on their sexuality. Nor do they mistreat anyone based on their sexuality. Calling them "homophobic" would group them in the same category as the uneducated ****bois who call everything "gay", throws around slurs like it's no tomorrow and wouldn't be adverse to bullying someone whose sexuality they don't "approve" or understand. OP doesn't have a perfect moral slate and clearly has different opinions than most the people on this thread, but i wouldn't go as far as to call them a raging homophobic.

Latest

Trending

Trending