The Student Room Group

NHS Scientist Training Programme 2016 applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by welly909
Is anyone looking at getting somewhere to stay in Newcastle in October / November for the Masters and be interested in looking for a flat share / air bnb or something for those weeks?

Yeah I'm thinking a flat share or something may be cheaper than the other alternatives!
Reply 2221
Been having a read through this massive thread! Some really good info and advice but does anyone know if the application for positions in Scotland is the same? Can't find much info on it on the NHS scotland website other than it exists. Thanks
Reply 2222
Thanks, it has finally been approved! so relieved! Hopefully HR don't take long to get in touch now!

Great! I'm really pleased for you :smile: I also agree with stp2015, give them a poke!
Hey,I just found out yesterday that I'll be at Leeds doing Medical Physics too!Have you sorted out living situations yet? I'm so confused about where to live during uni placements and then hospital placements.

Original post by Jen01282
i

Hi, thank you! I've actually received a few emails today answering my questions 🙈 I'm interested as to when the start date is because I have to do the academic part in Newcastle on the 3rd of October for 6 weeks. Not sure whether I should rent a house for the first few weeks of starting the job or just wait till after the 6 week academia (I can just about commute from my parent's house to Leeds). It's all so confusing, I just want a plan haha!
Original post by anitaanthony92
Hey,I just found out yesterday that I'll be at Leeds doing Medical Physics too!Have you sorted out living situations yet? I'm so confused about where to live during uni placements and then hospital placements.

Hey! Congrats! It's great to know we'll be working together! No I haven't sorted anything out yet, I'm waiting to hear back from the trust just to find someone who can answer these questions. I am able to stop at my uncle's or my boyfriends house up near Newcastle so that is a possibility for me thankfully!
Reply 2225
Original post by kmkmc
Been having a read through this massive thread! Some really good info and advice but does anyone know if the application for positions in Scotland is the same? Can't find much info on it on the NHS scotland website other than it exists. Thanks

I think the application of positions in Scotland are slightly different to the English ones because the positions for Scotland just seem to come up randomly and you only need to fill in an application form to be considered for an interview rather than having to also complete online tests. Have you applied to any of the Scottish positions?*
If anyone here is moving to Birmingham or the West Midlands area and is looking for somewhere to live, there will be a room available in my house from 27th August. I'm just coming to the end of my first year on the STP, and I live with another trainee who is just about to finish her second year. PM me if you're interested or have any questions :smile:
Hey guys,

I've recently enrolled at Machester and wanted to know if anyone will be at there from Sept-Nov? I have 7 weeks block of studying, potentially looking for a flat mate
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jen01282
Yeah I'm thinking a flat share or something may be cheaper than the other alternatives!

Meeeee!
I was just looking at AIRBNB and there are some rooms to rent on there that give you discount if you stay longer than a month but if people were up for renting an airbnb flat for the time there its a little more social than living in someone elses house! I will be paying for my flat back in Manchester for the 6 weeks I am in Newcastle and so want to find something as cheap (but fun) as possible. I think I am getting a little bit of help with finance from my trust but not sure how much yet!

PM if you want to chat more about it
Chloe xx
(edited 7 years ago)
Is anyone looking at getting somewhere to stay in Newcastle in October / November for the Masters and be interested in looking for a flat share / air bnb or something for those weeks?

YES! I just replied to another post above :smile:

Chloe x
Reply 2230
Found out i'm going to be up in Liverpool in October for the Masters, does anybody have a spare room for let or interested in looking for a flat share if you're in the same flatless position as me?
Hi all,
I have a place for Neurophysiology at Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and have just received my conditional offer from them along with my contract. It states my salary will be band 4 £19,217 but I was under the impression that the salary started at £25,000 (or band 6)? Has anyone else had a problem?

With regards to Aston Uni requesting evidence of course funding, I replied to my offer email asking about it and received the following:
'Thank you for accepting your offer of a place on the MSc Clinical Science (Neurosensory Sciences. I know your place is on the NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP) and therefore the tuition fees are funded by the NHS. However, you have been sent the standard offer email as The University has to legally send out certain information i.e. Proforma cancellation form, Terms and conditions of enrolment etc.
Kind regards,
Ramila'
So I've left it at that :smile:
[QUOTE=AliceCompton;66516960]Hi all,
I have a place for Neurophysiology at Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and have just received my conditional offer from them along with my contract. It states my salary will be band 4 £19,217 but I was under the impression that the salary started at £25,000 (or band 6)? Has anyone else had a problem?

With regards to Aston Uni requesting evidence of course funding, I replied to my offer email asking about it and received the following:
'Thank you for accepting your offer of a place on the MSc Clinical Science (Neurosensory Sciences. I know your place is on the NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP) and therefore the tuition fees are funded by the NHS. However, you have been sent the standard offer email as The University has to legally send out certain information i.e. Proforma cancellation form, Terms and conditions of enrolment etc.
Kind regards,
Ramila'

It was definitely advertised as band 6. I'd speak to them and ask them about it? I've only just had my offer letter emailed over today after I pushed for it. They're still preparing my contract so haven't received it yet, but expecting it to say band 6 with the minimum band 6 salary.
Anyone doing biochemistry/blood sciences at Manchester from 3rd October for 5 weeks looking to maybe share or arrange something PM me.. Looking for accom and a way of making it as cheap as possible :smile:
I have been in touch with people in my department but I am still waiting to hear from HR. I haven't even had anything through yet...occy health or anything, let alone any contracts! I got back in touch with my contact earlier in the week and he said that it is still with HR and management....so annoying waiting. I just want it all official and confirmed!
It was definitely advertised as band 6. I'd speak to them and ask them about it? I've only just had my offer letter emailed over today after I pushed for it. They're still preparing my contract so haven't received it yet, but expecting it to say band 6 with the minimum band 6 salary.

Thank you welly909, I emailed NSHCS Recruitment and they confirmed it should be band 6 and sent me the relevant documents. Thankfully I then emailed my new manager and she also agreed it should be band 6 and sent me the document outlining all the funding they are receiving for me! She has also sent it to HR so hopefully they will amend my contract now. Major panic almost over!
Hi are you direct entry or in service, i'm being told by my trust also that i will possibly not be on band 6, because i'm an in service applicant apparently the trust pays my wages and my academic fee is funded by HEE. I hope my trust are wrong and that i can get some additional funding, my contract has not been sorted either yet.
Reply 2237
Congrats! I'm Neurophys at Bristol, look forward to meting you!I replied about the Aston thing on the previous page so have a look there, basically this is a new requirement and NSHCS are working through them> i sent them another email today to remind them Aston want it (from me at least) by July 31st.

My initial letter from Bristol hospital stated a higher salary in error, I think these are done on a proforma basis and the details are worked through on the contract. If you've received your actual contract and that states £19,217 then that's an issue - don't sign it, contact your HR contact and query it with them.Good luck!

Original post by AliceCompton
Hi all,

Kind regards,
Ramila'
Reply 2238
I think she's direct entry as I know Gloucester were doing a direct entry NPhys position and it's unlikely they'd do both.

Original post by Cardiology30
Hi are you direct entry or in service, i'm being told by my trust also that i will possibly not be on band 6, because i'm an in service applicant apparently the trust pays my wages and my academic fee is funded by HEE. I hope my trust are wrong and that i can get some additional funding, my contract has not been sorted either yet.
Reply 2239
So NSHCS got back to me and apparantly we don't need a letter anymore, when you accept your offer from Aston you just need to state
"I am a Scientific Training Programme (STP) student. "

L

Original post by AliceCompton
Hi all,

Kind regards,
Ramila'

Quick Reply

Latest